autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone routinely do underbody wash/detail?

I’m surprised this topic is almost never mentioned on here... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone post a pic showing how they’ve just finished doing an underbody wash on this forum.

Maybe I’m extreme, but if I had a lift in the garage I’d definitely do it every once in a while. A friend of mine is supposed to install a lift in his 3 car garage soon, so maybe I’ll get a chance to try it.

Have any if you guys ever done it? What’s your opinion of it? Any pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone routinely do underbody wash/detail?

I’m supposed to put my car on my lift tomorrow to do an oil change. I inspect my undercarriage at least once a year to clean and polish the exhaust system. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow too. It is why I got the lift after all.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a Karcher chassis washer we use and then apply a sealer. But nothing too crazy. A lift would give you more options. But I’ve found a lot of customers don’t really care about the underbody. As long as the paint is shiny and the interior is clean. We use the chassis washer some during road salt season. But that’s about it.

5. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m supposed to put my car on my lift tomorrow to do an oil change. I inspect my undercarriage at least once a year to clean and polish the exhaust system. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow too. It is why I got the lift after all.
    Cool, perfect timing. Don’t forget to take some pics with your phone.Does anyone routinely do underbody wash/detail?

What would you use if you decide to give it a full go at it?

7. Thanks FUNX650 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess if it needed it I would go under there with a pressure washer, a lot of APC, and brushes. I’d probably need to wear rain gear while under there too! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    We have a Karcher chassis washer we use and then apply a sealer. But nothing too crazy. A lift would give you more options. But I’ve found a lot of customers don’t really care about the underbody. As long as the paint is shiny and the interior is clean. We use the chassis washer some during road salt season. But that’s about it.
    I was more thinking about us autogeeks on our own personal rides.. Like you said, I wouldn’t really expect normL customers to really care too much about it, but I never forget back in the days the local Car Wash I would take my car to once every 3 months to get the oil changed would include a free car wash, and part of the package would include underbody wash where the tunnel would foam underneath then rinse. I never got to see the results, but it’s always stuck in my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I guess if it needed it I would go under there with a pressure washer, a lot of APC, and brushes. I’d probably need to wear rain gear while under there too! LOL
    Yea, if I did it I’d wear some goggles, foam mask, nitrile gloves, and definitely a Mothers Wheel Well Brush to try to keep my distance from as much of the dripping gunk that would be coming down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I was more thinking about us autogeeks on our own personal rides.. Like you said, I wouldn’t really expect normL customers to really care too much about it, but I never forget back in the days the local Car Wash I would take my car to once every 3 months to get the oil changed would include a free car wash, and part of the package would include underbody wash where the tunnel would foam underneath then rinse. I never got to see the results, but it’s always stuck in my head.
    I got you. In that case maybe look into the Ryobi chassis washer/water broom. It works pretty well and will save you from having to crawl under there if you ever need to spray your undercarriage down.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a mechanic’s jump suit I will be wearing tomorrow to change the oil. It can get messy on this particular car when I pull the oil filter. I put down cardboard and newspaper on the floor too.

Post Thanks / Like

I do my vehicles twice a year. They all get degreased, sprayed and soaked with Salt Away and then coated with Fluid Film. As I live in the rust belt it’s needed to keep vehicles going without rusting in half. I have customers with nice summer cars that get the underside cleaned with every detail. And a few that get fluid film and salt away twice a year. It’s a pain and a mess but worth it to keep cars rust free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast