autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Seat Discoloration

Hey everyone, here's a few photos of my leather seat in a 2010 Ford Edge I own. As you can see there is some blueing on the seat I do not suspect to be from denim material.

The seat maintenance previous to my ownership is unknown with what cleaners were used.

The first three images are the suspected "damage" and the last one shows a control area with "damage" in the lower left corner.

Does anyone have incite to what this is and how to combat it if possible?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: Leather Seat Discoloration

Just to note....

Some of the discoloration/damage looks kind of permanent.

You won't know until you try to clean the affected areas. A few weeks ago p.j. from Dodo Juice was here and we shot a few new videos. One of them was on their Leather Cleaner. He told me their Leather Cleaner consistently wins awards for being the best leather cleaner on the market in the U.K.

Me? Well I'm thinking how good can any leather cleaner really be?

So he shows me on my on car seats in my Lexus and I thought my seats were clean. Nope. The difference after using the Dodo Juice cleaner in a before-n-after was night and day. So yeah, I'd recommend getting and trying this product out.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner 500 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is a safe and effective formula designed to keep your leather surfaces looking like new. This Dodo-approved formula is safe enough for use on all leather surfaces, yet effective enough to remove dirt, grime, and even most clothing dye transfer. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner wipes away dirt without leaving any residue so you can enjoy soft, supple leather mile after mile!

Leather is beautiful. It looks amazing, feels great, and the smell is one of a kind. In fact, we value leather so much, we’ll pay a lot more for it! That being said, it’s important to maintain it so that it continually looks and feels like new. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is an easy-to-use formula that lifts away dirt and grime, leaving leather clean and refreshed.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is water-based, making it a safe choice for use on leather. It contains mild surfactants and cleansers designed to gently clean the surface without leaving any sticky or greasy residue behind. Each application of Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner yields soft, clean leather with a low-gloss, factory-reminiscent shimmer. Keep leather looking like new with the Dodo!

For best results, follow up with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant.

500ml
    Includes Sprayer

There's also a free sample of this product with any purchase of any Dodo Juice product.

Dodo Juice Leather Cleaner Wipe - FREE with Any Dodo Juice Order Over $20!

Then to "seal" the leather, I coined a term years ago,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

And what I meant by this term was, when using products in the same brand line, the chemist that formulated the FIRST STEP product, (in this example the leather cleaner), knows best how to formulate the SECOND STEP product, in this case the Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant because they since they formulated the first product they know best how to chemically formulate this follow-up product since they know the exact chemistry used.

At least it makes simple sense that my brain can wrap around.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant 250 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant conditions and protects you leather surfaces so that they look like new for longer. This unique sealant formula seals in the beauty of your leather, locks out new contaminants, and protects against premature aging. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant is an absolute must for maintaining the good looks of your leather!

Leather is beautiful. It looks amazing, feels great, and the smell is one of a kind. In fact, we value leather so much, we’ll pay a lot more for it! That being said, it’s important to maintain it so that it continually looks and feels like new. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant is an ideal conditioner and protectant formula that helps make leather maintenance easier without compromising results.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant isn’t like other lesser leather “protection” products that are full of waxes and oils. Those cheap formulas leave a residue on the surface that actually attracts dirt and grime, promoting the cracks and unsightly age marks that they are supposed to prevent! Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant conditions and protects the surface while repelling the dirt and grime that prematurely ages leather. Keep the factory good looks of your leather with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant!

For best results thoroughly clean the surface being treated with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner. This will ensure proper bonding and optimum protection.

250 ml

3. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Mike Phillips

And also....

Because some of the damage looks permanent...

I don't know that these products or ANY products will restore the appearance back to factory new. What I'm doing is lowering your expectations like I do in this article.

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Here's what I wrote in post #9

Keep it real. After using this system the owner can stand back about 5' from the car and not see the previously unsightly rock chips and that's what it's all about.

In the Dr. Color Chip article, I know too many people think that AFTER using the Dr. Color Chip system they should be able to STICK THEIR NOSE AGAINST THE PAINT and not see where the original rock chip used to be.

This is not realistic. It's not real-world. They should have paid to have their car re-painted.

So if you get the Dodo Juice products or any products, hope for the best but keep your expectations real.

Make sense?

5. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hey AaronE,

so looking at the leather, it seems Mike may be correct in that the color may have been 'worn' away rather than being discolored or requiring cleaning to bring it back up. you yourself have mentioned that it does not seem to be transfer. in this case, using the SN Leather Cleaner is simply going to clean the leather and what color is left and will not replace nor bring the color back. SN Leather Cleaner is a strong surfactant formulated to clean and it does so very well. however, because it is a strong leather cleaner we always recommend testing the product in an inconspicuous area first. this is especially important as the quality of the leather/painted leather is so varying from supplier to supplier. [just like when polishing paint, it is important to know and learn from the surface that you are working on in order to get the best results.] if in fact it is faded/worn/permanent damage then this would require recoloring to restore. if it is transfer or over the colored surface of the leather than i am confident that the Leather Cleaner will help you to remove the contaminants.

if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to mail me (as i am not always on this forum): pj at dodojuice dot com

also, thank you Mike for the recommendation. it was a good test we did with the Leather Cleaner on your 'clean' seats and as you say, the results speak for themselves.

7. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule in the U.K. To chime in p.j.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to note....

Some of the discoloration/damage looks kind of permanent.

You won't know until you try to clean the affected areas. A few weeks ago p.j. from Dodo Juice was here and we shot a few new videos. One of them was on their Leather Cleaner. He told me their Leather Cleaner consistently wins awards for being the best leather cleaner on the market in the U.K.

Me? Well I'm thinking how good can any leather cleaner really be?

So he shows me on my on car seats in my Lexus and I thought my seats were clean. Nope. The difference after using the Dodo Juice cleaner in a before-n-after was night and day. So yeah, I'd recommend getting and trying this product out.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner 500 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is a safe and effective formula designed to keep your leather surfaces looking like new. This Dodo-approved formula is safe enough for use on all leather surfaces, yet effective enough to remove dirt, grime, and even most clothing dye transfer. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner wipes away dirt without leaving any residue so you can enjoy soft, supple leather mile after mile!

Leather is beautiful. It looks amazing, feels great, and the smell is one of a kind. In fact, we value leather so much, we’ll pay a lot more for it! That being said, it’s important to maintain it so that it continually looks and feels like new. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is an easy-to-use formula that lifts away dirt and grime, leaving leather clean and refreshed.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner is water-based, making it a safe choice for use on leather. It contains mild surfactants and cleansers designed to gently clean the surface without leaving any sticky or greasy residue behind. Each application of Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner yields soft, clean leather with a low-gloss, factory-reminiscent shimmer. Keep leather looking like new with the Dodo!

For best results, follow up with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant.

500ml
    Includes Sprayer

There's also a free sample of this product with any purchase of any Dodo Juice product.

Dodo Juice Leather Cleaner Wipe - FREE with Any Dodo Juice Order Over $20!

Then to "seal" the leather, I coined a term years ago,

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

And what I meant by this term was, when using products in the same brand line, the chemist that formulated the FIRST STEP product, (in this example the leather cleaner), knows best how to formulate the SECOND STEP product, in this case the Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant because they since they formulated the first product they know best how to chemically formulate this follow-up product since they know the exact chemistry used.

At least it makes simple sense that my brain can wrap around.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant 250 ml

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant conditions and protects you leather surfaces so that they look like new for longer. This unique sealant formula seals in the beauty of your leather, locks out new contaminants, and protects against premature aging. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant is an absolute must for maintaining the good looks of your leather!

Leather is beautiful. It looks amazing, feels great, and the smell is one of a kind. In fact, we value leather so much, we’ll pay a lot more for it! That being said, it’s important to maintain it so that it continually looks and feels like new. Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant is an ideal conditioner and protectant formula that helps make leather maintenance easier without compromising results.

Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant isn’t like other lesser leather “protection” products that are full of waxes and oils. Those cheap formulas leave a residue on the surface that actually attracts dirt and grime, promoting the cracks and unsightly age marks that they are supposed to prevent! Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant conditions and protects the surface while repelling the dirt and grime that prematurely ages leather. Keep the factory good looks of your leather with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Sealant!

For best results thoroughly clean the surface being treated with Dodo Juice Supernatural Leather Cleaner. This will ensure proper bonding and optimum protection.

250 ml

Someone who was able to find dirt on your seats?! This stuff must be amazing then Currently I clean with Megs Leather Cleaner (OTC stuff) but I'll have to get my hands on this!

I agree though, I think it is permanent markings on the seat based on the lack of luster (even after applying a conditioner) around the blueing areas but I wanted to confirm it.

I think after a thorough cleaning with the Dodo Juice, I'll consider doing a touch-up job on that area so it has a pleasant "five foot or more" appearance. Gotta keep real expectations with a car coming up on ten years old unless I want to do a full interior job (I'm saving that headache for the airplane restoration next year).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedodo View Post
    hey AaronE,

so looking at the leather, it seems Mike may be correct in that the color may have been 'worn' away rather than being discolored or requiring cleaning to bring it back up. you yourself have mentioned that it does not seem to be transfer. in this case, using the SN Leather Cleaner is simply going to clean the leather and what color is left and will not replace nor bring the color back. SN Leather Cleaner is a strong surfactant formulated to clean and it does so very well. however, because it is a strong leather cleaner we always recommend testing the product in an inconspicuous area first. this is especially important as the quality of the leather/painted leather is so varying from supplier to supplier. [just like when polishing paint, it is important to know and learn from the surface that you are working on in order to get the best results.] if in fact it is faded/worn/permanent damage then this would require recoloring to restore. if it is transfer or over the colored surface of the leather than i am confident that the Leather Cleaner will help you to remove the contaminants.

if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to mail me (as i am not always on this forum): pj at dodojuice dot com

also, thank you Mike for the recommendation. it was a good test we did with the Leather Cleaner on your 'clean' seats and as you say, the results speak for themselves.
    I may not winding up using this on my seat (but the rest of the car why not) but I'm defiantly impressed with a product that even brings up dirt on the one and only Mike Phillips I'll keep your contact information handy and will probably place an order in the next couple weeks for some other cars that I keep clean for family.

11. Likes thedodo liked this post