autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back from the Bodyshop (swirls)

My experience with body shop:

Daughter's Tiguan got hit driving by somebody pulling out of a parking space (rear right door and rear quarter panel).

When the work was done, the bodywork and paint matching was awesome. Guess what? Swirls and overspray (top of right front door, have no clue how it got there).

Decided that since I can take care of the swirls myself, and I was very satisfied with the paint match (I hear White is particularly tricky), to let them go, since I'm sure the majority of folks getting work done don't even know what a swirl mark is, or that they can actually be corrected

Eric

2. Likes 94BULLITT, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing to think about is that most vehicals has swirls and scratches. The 90% defect free paints is unusual. So for bodyshops that does insurance work where they don't see any full repaints. They just don't need to be bothered with their washing or polishing after the repaint a couple of panels. As that could look even more strange if you have 2 doors that is swirl and scratch free. It's almost like they blending it in with swirls and scratches on the repaint LOL.

That said if they get to work on a almost swirl free finish. And leave it back in worse condition that they recieved it in. It's just sloppy and bad work. How about a full repaint if they getting one of those work. They are not capable to do a good work even IMO. I don't know if here comes the difference between where you live in the world. But even dealership does a good work on refine the paints. And also those that sells only used vehicals if they don't are in the lower tier of vehicals that are older and long mileage on them. Do some good work on polishing vs the lower tier of vehicals where you can see more hack jobs. I think it's also a thing of pride in the work. And I don't mean they all are show car finish on them. But mostly a good hologram free AIO job. And if don't the painter want to touch a polisher how are they going to be doing a show car if needed?

4. Likes 94BULLITT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't want to wash the truck at this time, but last night we had a hard down pour. It cleaned the pollen off the truck. The dent in the right door is now very easily seen, you can see sanding marks. They must have used glaze to hide it. The paint is also full of dirt. The got compound on the vinyl tonneau cover. The grill(chrome) is scratched. The trim on the b pillar is scratched. The rubber around the rear window is scratched. There are multiple scratches on the right door panel, which they had to remove. There is a big spot on the right rear door were the paint is flat. I am not sure if it is where they wet sanded it, and did not buff it or if there is something wrong with the paint. The paperwork also shows where they charged to mask the truck, I'm not sure why the whole truck needed buffed.
    Roger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    We don't want to wash the truck at this time, but last night we had a hard down pour. It cleaned the pollen off the truck. The dent in the right door is now very easily seen, you can see sanding marks. They must have used glaze to hide it. The paint is also full of dirt. The got compound on the vinyl tonneau cover. The grill(chrome) is scratched. The trim on the b pillar is scratched. The rubber around the rear window is scratched. There are multiple scratches on the right door panel, which they had to remove. There is a big spot on the right rear door were the paint is flat. I am not sure if it is where they wet sanded it, and did not buff it or if there is something wrong with the paint. The paperwork also shows where they charged to mask the truck, I'm not sure why the whole truck needed buffed.
    All I can say is "ouch"...good luck with whatever decision regarding the issues you decide.

E

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12