autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Picked Gyeon can coat.

Going with can coat on the ZR2. And picked up the Gyeon cure to maintain. So application tips? Are the included towels good enough? Looking forward to trying out something new to me. Read enough good things on the product. I picked up the kit with the prep and polishwipe towels included.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

2. Likes oneheadlite, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Picked Gyeon can coat.

I don't see the kit you reference on the AG store?

Here's a video Jeff McEachran and I made showing how to apply it. It's really easy, just watch the video application starts about 4:10

GYEON makes good stuff!

Also - for those that might be unsure how to say GYEON, phonetically you would say,

JEE - ON

4. Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that familiar with their towels, but the PolishWipe towel should do the trick. I wouldn't mess with the white towel included in the box of CanCoat at all. The best method may be to spray the CanCoat into the short nap side of the PolishWipe to apply the product and then flip it to the long nap side to buff off. Personally, I have some thinner, short nap MF towels I only use for coating application/removal which seem to work pretty well for me. They aren't great for other detailing work, but seen to excell when working with coatings.

You can learn from my mistakes and all of the great advice I recieved in this thread.

As for Cure, I have a love/hate relationship with it at this time. It really boosts the gloss and makes the surface slick, but I find it streaky when used at full strength. I may try watering it down to see if that helps.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes PA DETAILER, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lot of good info! So to put things in order, this list from Jeff is helpful...

Summary:
    - Cup sprayer to control over spray
    - 2 sprays directly on to the microfiber
    - work in to the panel quickly, 3-4 cross passes with a quick hand speed to keep product moving and allow the solvent to evaporate
    - secondary microfiber to pick up any remaining product
    - use a hand held light to look for distortion which will show you excess product on the surface
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Going with can coat on the ZR2. And picked up the Gyeon cure to maintain. So application tips? Are the included towels good enough? Looking forward to trying out something new to me. Read enough good things on the product. I picked up the kit with the prep and polishwipe towels included.
    I use it a lot. My tip is to find very small 2oz eyeglass cleaner like bottles and pour it into them and use those sprayers as the stock ones will tend to clog after using. I've done everything from flush them out, etc. but they still get clogged.

The application tip is to spray it on the rag 3ft from the vehicle with no more than 3 sprays and then quickly wipe on and buff off with the flip side of the towel. I use 170gsm rag company towels as they work awesome. Any heavier and they tend to drag or leave lint. It will almost seem like you're not using enough but that means the amount is perfect. Carefully review for high spots and ensure it's good. Use each rag for no more than two panels of an average door or fender size. A hood may require 3 or so. Once you begin to get too much build up on a rag it will drag or not go on as well. If you soak the rags it will also begin to harden and ruin the rags.

After every rag swap out, immediately immerse it and get it wet into a bucket of soapy 3D Towel Kleen or detergent of choice, etc. Get them good and soaked. Yes, you can do this and launder them without tossing them in the trash. I do it all the time and they will work well if not too soaked or left to dry so soak them right away.

Lastly, pull the vehicle into daylight and review for high spots. Again, this stuff is REALLY good and high spots will set-in just like a regular coating if you're sloppy about it. Not a big deal as you can simply hand-polish out those areas and reapply but it gets to be a PIA if you're not good at it. I learned the hard way but it really is an easy product to use.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to hearing back on its use.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another question is that I have seen, is a MF pad applicator better instead of a towel for application? I have MF applicators and also have a new package of the Gyeon applicators.

GYEON Microfiber Applicator 2 Pack

But...Some swear by the towel for application.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    Another question is that I have seen, is a MF pad applicator better instead of a towel for application? I have MF applicators and also have a new package of the Gyeon applicators.

GYEON Microfiber Applicator 2 Pack

But...Some swear by the towel for application.
    Guz swears by a MF applicator and has managed to make it work for him. However, I tried it with pretty terrible results. I found using the MF towel much easier to apply the product and by cupping the towel around the sprayer you get far less overspray. Hopefully Guz will see this and provide his inputs so you can make an informed decision.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks PA DETAILER thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More tips from Zack McGovern at DI. Seems like the towel is the way to go.

Application
    It is extremely important to ensure the vehicle is thoroughly cleaned. A proper car wash should be done at the very least. Use Gyeon Prep to ensure the surface is free of any oils and be certain that everything is completely dry before applying Can Coat. The paint should be cool to the touch prior to application. Do not work in direct sunlight.
    I made some fundamental errors during my first attempt at using Can Coat. Since I had associated the product with other coatings, I treated it like a normal coating application. I sprayed the product onto a microfiber applicator and then spread the coating onto a section of the paint using overlapping, cross-hatch motions. I then wiped the residue away and moved on to the next section. This was easy enough, though I did notice some residual product or light streaking from time to time that required additional attention to completely remove. As I continued to work I began to understand that with this product, less is more. Over application provided no benefit. It just took more time, created more work, and made for a more stressful process.
    Upon further review of the directions (yes, sometimes I fail to fully read the directions) I noticed that it is recommended to simply spray the coating onto a microfiber towel, wipe onto the paint, then immediately wipe away with a second towel. This proved to be the key to success. I was able to spread the product onto an entire panel with just one or two sprays onto a plush towel. The entire vehicle was coated in just 20 minutes. It was quick and painless. I had no issues with streaking and no smeary residue to battle. This application was as easy as using Gyeon Cure.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Well, guess I backed out. I had time to change my order this morning. Can coat sounds a little too finicky for me. Replaced it with BLACKFIRE Sio2 spray sealant. Easy wipe on wipe off application. And it has stellar reviews.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Guz swears by a MF applicator and has managed to make it work for him. However, I tried it with pretty terrible results. I found using the MF towel much easier to apply the product and by cupping the towel around the sprayer you get far less overspray. Hopefully Guz will see this and provide his inputs so you can make an informed decision.
    I posted my thoughts in his thread over on Autopia with a video.

Picked Gyeon can coat.

16. Likes Desertnate liked this post