autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coating, are they worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    That's is where my hell yeah would be a hell no.
    If 50.00 or so makes my life easier for a year, I am all good. I'll stick with Cquartz on sale.
    Or McKees. I mean it’s $34 with a 25% off. Hard to beat even if you screw up. Most of my lsps was or sealant cost more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If 50.00 or so makes my life easier for a year, I am all good. I'll stick with Cquartz on sale.
    Agreed 100%. Hard to beat it and I subscribe to the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” model.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s where I have settled too on UK. Currently I’ve been obsessing with oil additive that are ceramic. Currently running liquid molly ceratec. It has a Ceramic in it boron or something

Post Thanks / Like

I'll cast another vote in favor of the coatings. Now that I've started using them, I'll never go back to using sealants.

The two coatings I've used have/will easily last two years and I've found taking care of the vehicles to be much easier. To get the most out of them I simply keep them clean by washing every 1~2 weeks when the weather is warm enough. Over winter they often sit grimy and salty for long periods of time until the vehicles can be run through a touchless wash. I don't use any cosmic boosters or other products between applications. I'll simply do a wipe down after each wash to eliminate water spots, but I did that with other LSP's as well.

CanCoat is a great option as well. It behaves like a coating, lasts longer than a sealant, but isn't as durable as a "regular" coating. My wife's SUV was coated 9 months ago and has seen few washes and only a couple wipe downs with Cure (came in a kit with the CanCoat). I'm seeing similar results on my car as well, though it's most recent application is only 6 months old and going strong at this point.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    -{And don’t forget to add in all of the ancillary
    products that seem to have now been deemed
    as a requisite for proper Coating maintenance:
    the Coating-specific Toppers, Boosters, Detail
    Sprays, Shampoos, etc.}
    Meh, total personal choice. Quality coatings can be maintained all summer/year long with a bottle of pure shampoo like CarPro Reset or or Gyeon Bathe, around $0.37 a wash if bought at list price (Gyeon Bathe)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m not sure how often looks are mentioned as a factor for choosing a coating. I’m a fan of the carnauba look. This is why I continue to use it. To the best of my knowledge a coating will not look the same as a wax. I don’t mind reapplying every couple of months. Applying wax is the main event of detailing for me.
    There are many coatings out there that give a subtle look all their own, not all have that typical 'coating' look to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any that look just like wax?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Meh, total personal choice. Quality coatings can be maintained all summer/year long with a bottle of pure shampoo like CarPro Reset or or Gyeon Bathe, around $0.37 a wash if bought at list price (Gyeon Bathe)
    I'd even offer you don't have to go with these more costly shampoo's either. I've used Poorboy's Super Slick with Suds and Optimum Car Wash to maintain my coated cars with great success as well.

There are many coatings out there that give a subtle look all their own, not all have that typical 'coating' look to them.
    I'd use McKee's 37 Paint Coating v1 as an example of this. I couldn't tell the difference between the McKee's coating and Collinite 845 from an appearance perspective. The gloss, in my eyes, was identical. It wasn't glassy-like at all. Oddly enough, the water beading was pretty similar as well. More sealant/wax-like than other coatings I tried. Of course this may have all changed with v2 of the McKee's coating.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the McKees is one of the easier ones to apply too
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Are there any that look just like wax?
    Polish Angel Cosmic v2 coating has carnuaba flakes in it

Post Thanks / Like

So I think of it a little different. The coating is a investment to make cleaning the car much easier. It is like buying a longer pressure washer hose, wheel woolies and grit guards, investment to make cleaning car easier. People say it’s intensive to use but is it. If you buy a $100 coating and only last a year.... that about $8.50 a month to simplify my was process.....

There’s the argument of more work. Their is but is it really that much. Correcting and polishing need to be done regardless. The only added step I see is applying the actual coating. Most will top right after to protect from water spot but that is comparable to applying the wax/sealant. The way manufacturers are making coating application is also way easier. Same work as applying wax nowadays.

So again just actual coating different in process. About an hour and a half. Average of 7.5 mins of time if broken down monthly over a year

Will coating save me more than 7.5 mins of my time a month by being easier to clean? and vs waxing being easier apply topper? Looks better (assuming you chose coating for looks as well)? Do I actually worry less with a coating. If you answer yes to any of these as geeks who wouldn’t invest $8.50 a month.

Realistically you could even save more money as their are many who won’t and get a year. Also my number I chose can change you could buy cquk3 which is favored by many for 50$ a bottle also get 18 months let’s say and now your investment is averaged at $2.77 a month cost and 5 min a month as ROI in initial cost and application. No- brainer.

And as for “overtoppers” their are those who use any form of protection that over do it. Most coating company’s recommend topping every 6 months most of us just choose to top more like the spray wax after every wash, beadmaker users, daily or weekly quick detailers. Their is those who find it their therapy/me time/addiction in rubbing stuff into our paint.

13. Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast