autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating Protection

Hey everyone, I was looking for some input on the protection offered by ceramic coatings. I understand the UV A/B protection, chemical resistance, easier washing, oxidization protection, and the like but I'm wondering about the paints mechanical protection (protecting the paint from swirls). I know the coating itself can have swirls induced from love touches, drying errors, Swirl-O-Matics, etc. I can live with that BUT do these defects reach the paint or do they stay above?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating Protection

Quote Originally Posted by AaronE View Post
    Hey everyone, I was looking for some input on the protection offered by ceramic coatings. I understand the UV A/B protection, chemical resistance, easier washing, oxidization protection, and the like but I'm wondering about the paints mechanical protection (protecting the paint from swirls). I know the coating itself can have swirls induced from love touches, drying errors, Swirl-O-Matics, etc. I can live with that BUT do these defects reach the paint or do they stay above?

Depends how deep the swirls are. The coating is only a few microns thick and offer very little protection against scratches. Careful washing techniques are still required.

BTW S-O-M are an absolute no, no.

3. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coatings don't offer protection from physical abuse. Perhaps a very, very tiny bit of protection against marring but don't count on it. If that's you main goal, you need PPF. Coatings offer chemical protection and the ease of keeping the car clean and shiny. But rock chips, dings, scratches, all that will still affect the paint the same way.
    Bruno Soares

5. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Depends how deep the swirls are. The coating is only a few microns thick and offer very little protection against scratches. Careful washing techniques are still required.

BTW S-O-M are an absolute no, no.
    I agree about the techniques and staying away from a SOM but not everyone I'll do work for (my families cars) is going to use full proper techniques. They won't cause any major scratching that a polish can't clear but they will slowly web up a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Coatings don't offer protection from physical abuse. Perhaps a very, very tiny bit of protection against marring but don't count on it. If that's you main goal, you need PPF. Coatings offer chemical protection and the ease of keeping the car clean and shiny. But rock chips, dings, scratches, all that will still affect the paint the same way.
    Sadly no one in the family is gonna jump on the PPF wagon (already tried to convince). They will do a good job cleaning but I still fear marring and spider webbing still which is the real problem the paint will face.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly no one in the family is gonna jump on the PPF wagon (already tried to convince). They will do a good job cleaning but I still fear marring and spider webbing still which is the real problem the paint will face.

Is wash marking is the main issue, why not go over proper technique with them?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the techniques and staying away from a SOM but not everyone I'll do work for (my families cars) is going to use full proper techniques. They won't cause any major scratching that a polish can't clear but they will slowly web up a car.

Then don't use a coating and stick with a good sealant that you can apply every few months, or use a cleaner wax. Any polish will remove the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Is wash marking is the main issue, why not go over proper technique with them?
    It's mostly time for them. I'm trying to get my dad to take over maintainence washes at home. In the winter, it's hard to clean due to living on dirt roads in Michigan. You can clean at a quarter wash but by the time you hit the driveway the car is gritty again. A lot of times, we just wash once a week in the middle of running around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Then don't use a coating and stick with a good sealant that you can apply every few months, or use a cleaner wax. Any polish will remove the coating.
    I already use a sealant. I'm trying to prevent the paint itself from receiving swirls with the care that my family will provide. I'm trying to figure out if the coating will take the marring instead of the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings are not impervious. They can still swirl and scratch if not cared for properly.

If cared for properly then they do fine.

13. Likes 392hemi liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast