autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Never Seen This ... Touch Up paint ran down out of original spot

So, my wife's Mercedes had a rock chip. I put touch up in it, and allowed it to dry. It was there for more than a couple of weeks, but shortly after, I noticed the spot/chip was back, and below it... the paint has run down! Is this normal?? Wow.
    It was Mercedes OEM touch up that I bought from the dealer.

I'm assuming a clay will remove this like it would over spray ? (I'm not an expert by any means, so I'm not even sure that's right)

Anyone seen this before or have any advice?

Look under the two black chips. It's subtle, but it's there.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone had this issue? Touch up paint running down the panel more than a week later...

My wife has a Mercedes (2018 model). On the front bumper, she got a large rock chip that I filled in with Mercedes touch up paint from the dealer.
    I let it dry and it seemed to be fine, but more than 2 weeks later, I noticed the chip was showing again, and the paint has run down onto the original factory paint.

Has anyone seen this before? I’m hoping it will come off with a clay bar. (Since clay was originally made for overspray)

Before I attack it, I thought I’d ask here if anyone has any tips or advice.

I’ll post a pic below.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone had this issue? Touch up paint running down the panel more than a week later...

Pic attached

Never Seen This ... Touch Up paint ran down out of original spot-71428dc0-0e88-43ff-bd7b-d70c5d08eb1e-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone had this issue? Touch up paint running down the panel more than a week later...

Did you clean the area good with a solvent before painting? Mineral spirits or something similar. Rubbing alcohol and water mixture at the very least. I assume the paint ran down very shortly after you did the work. Once pain sets up it won’t run? You did shake the paint goo$ before painting?
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Did you clean the area good with a solvent before painting? Mineral spirits or something similar. Rubbing alcohol and water mixture at the very least. I assume the paint ran down very shortly after you did the work. Once pain sets up it won’t run? You did shake the paint goo$ before painting?
    No solvent but I did alcohol. I did shake plenty.
    It didn’t run until more than a week later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
    No solvent but I did alcohol. I did shake plenty.
    It didn’t run until more than a week later.
    If it was a week later there is something wrong with the paint. Once the solvents in the paint completely evaporate it shouldn’t move. Enough solvents have evaporated from touch up paint for it to remain completely stationary after about 10 minutes. Take a little of the paint and put it on something else and see if it sets up completely.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea in testing it. I will do that before using it again.
    In the mean time, any idea on how to remove it from my original paint? When the weather is right, I'm going to fully wash, clay, and polish. I'm hoping the clay will work, but not sure if it's the right thing to try first.

Post Thanks / Like

If clay doesn’t work you may need a solvent to remove the dried on paint. Try Dr Colorchip next time. I’ve used it on 4 different cars and have been very happy with the results each time. There are plenty of how-to articles here on AG about Dr Colorchip to review before applying.

Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not the prep work. Its the actual paint being sold by the dealership. The touch up paint from tesla is really runny and doesn't hold as well as honda or Toyota touch up paint. Theres nothing you can do except source the paint from somewhere else. If you have a connection to a body shop they can make some paint for you.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I did a full detail on the car for the first time. I'm going to post another thread about it, but clay basically took it off.
    I'm going to try Dr. Color Chip next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast