autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I apply CQuartz correctly?

Hi everyone,

i have a question. I applied cquartz (not the UK version but the regular one sold here on this site) about 3 weeks ago. The temperature in my garage was about 40 degrees but I am sure it was closer to the mid 30’s. I applied one coat and would let it sit on the panel for 5 minutes and then wipe it off. It wasn’t hard to remove since I am assuming it’s because the temps were cold. The car was not exposed to anything for 2 weeks before I began driving it around. I left all of the microfiber towels sitting in a box in the garage since I don’t plan to reuse them. I also left the micro suede applicator pads in the garage as well with the intention of throwing these away. It’s been a few weeks now and the towels appear dry but not hardened nor do they have any type of crystallized residue. I would have thought the cquartz residue on these towels would have formed some type of crusty layer.

My paranoia has kicked in and now am wondering if because the temps were so cold the product didn’t flash correctly??? As said above the car is garage kept and has not been exposed to rain at all. I purchased a second 30ml of cquartz with my initial purchase. Would I be doing any harm if I washed the car with Reset and then applied another coat? I also have Reload and plan to let that be a part of my regular wash routine.

What are your thoughts? Any way to prove a coating is really on?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I apply CQuartz correctly?

CQuartz Classic (Tio2) will not crystalize your towels.

Not sure about recoating after several weeks. If it was me I would use Reload as a topper every month or two and call it a day.

3. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The applicators and towels are not an indication of protection on the vehicle. With that said my spent application 4” squares become very stiff and rigid within a short time.

Now onto the issue... CQ Classic is not formulated for low the temps you were working in.

Recommended working temperatures: 50F to 90F. If application temperatures are below 60F consider CQuartz UK.

Which is the reason UK was formulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    The applicators and towels are not an indication of protection on the vehicle. With that said my spent application 4” squares become very stiff and rigid within a short time.

Now onto the issue... CQ Classic is not formulated for low the temps you were working in.

Recommended working temperatures: 50F to 90F. If application temperatures are below 60F consider CQuartz UK.

Which is the reason UK was formulated.

It’s kinda too late now as I already applied the CQ Classic. Now that temps are gonna be in the 70’s should I reapply the CQ or just stick to Reload monthly?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBlue View Post
    It’s kinda too late now as I already applied the CQ Classic. Now that temps are gonna be in the 70’s should I reapply the CQ or just stick to Reload monthly?
    I would do a light polish on the car to prep the surface and remove whatever is on there now. After that, wipe it down with Erasure and re-apply the coating.

Also, get Lake Country Snappy Clean, mix a packet with 5 gals of water in a bucket. When your removal towels become spent, let them soak in the bucket overnight then wash them with the rest of your microfiber towels. If they’re CarPro MF suede towels, let them air dry. You needn’t throw them out.

The 4” applicator squares get disposed of after use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefBlue View Post
    As mentioned CQuartz TiO2 does not harden the applicator. It is not a bad thing as not all coatings do this. Before jumping the gun wash it first and check out the hydrophobic properties. No sense in going to the extreme if you don't have to. Also one coat is more that enough with cquartz.

8. Likes fly07sti liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions! It’s good to know the towels didn’t have to be crystallized

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    As mentioned CQuartz TiO2 does not harden the applicator. It is not a bad thing as not all coatings do this. Before jumping the gun wash it first and check out the hydrophobic properties. No sense in going to the extreme if you don't have to. Also one coat is more that enough with cquartz.
    I totally agree with The Guz here. No need to polish and reapply. Make sure you test its hydrophobic properties after washing with Reset before making any decision

11. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said. Totally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

13. Likes The Guz liked this post