autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope Rupes figures things out in the MKiii LHR model

Let me first say that i really like my LHR15 MKii.

However, I recently replaced the old style backing plate with the new blue one and wished I had turned to the forum much sooner as it has solved a lot of my issues with pads sticking adequately.

Now that I have the new backing plate, I noticed this weekend that the unit was stopping rotation VERY easily. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the new backing plate had some pretty good scuffs on it from apparently hitting the shroud. Method and process hasn't changed.

Did some more research and found this so called 'washer mod". Off to the hardware store I went for some washers. Grabbed a few and went to work with the bench grinder. 5 minutes later Voila!, a self made washer mod. The unit works great now.

Whats my point here you ask? Does Rupes make nice machines" Yes. However, for those that think they are without issue or to those that think their engineering is superior, think again. Other pads work just as good on the machine and hey Rupes, how about making updates that actually work and letting the customers know about it.

I am sort of frustrated that it took all of this to get things to work properly so i hope my post helps someone else. It's just little stuff like this that shows in the end, any company, no matter where they are located or what their marketing says can have errors.

I wont be selling my unit anytime soon but Rupes isn't as gold standard as some would tell you.

Thanks to the forum for the candid help and solutions.

Mike Phillips

Re: I sure hope Rupes figures things out in the MKiii LHR model

Hope you don't mind....

I edited your post and broke up the huge chunk of text into smaller easier to digest/read paragraphs.

Huge chunks of text are hard to read and so most people won't read them, they'll just scan or >click< away.

I write a lot so just wanted to help out...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, I forgot to tell you that you need to grease the new plate with dielectric grease. Otherwise everything falls apart.

I'd rather deal with that than run the washer personally.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I really appreciate the help. At least this way i can run it with or without the washer. Although I am liking it so far with. If by falling apart you mean literally. Man that's true too. I noticed one of the plastic screws that attaches the head cover was missing. That explains it. More great Rupes engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Oh man, I forgot to tell you that you need to grease the new plate with dielectric grease. Otherwise everything falls apart.

I'd rather deal with that than run the washer personally.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean in fairness greasing the backing plate on a Rupes and the washer mod have been around for around 150 years so it's not like you stumbled onto some uncharted territory here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    I mean in fairness greasing the backing plate on a Rupes and the washer mod have been around for around 150 years so it's not like you stumbled onto some uncharted territory here.

Never suggested I did. Read it again. I thanked people for the help as it was new to me and certainly not the greatest of engineering prowess.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes is obviously aware about the backing plate rubbing the shroud. They do it purposely. Makes zero sense, but they have their reasons. Easy fix with a washer.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Touching the shroud is an intentional feature built in by Rupes. I don’t use the washer mod on any of my Rupes tools and it has never been a problem. Were you having stalling problems before you washer modded it? Rupes machines like a light touch. Let the abrasives do the work, don’t use too much downward force. If you are still having problems you can get different backing plate. I use the Kamikaze Beast backing plate and the machine runs as smooth as silk.

9. Likes Todd@RUPES liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was told that the friction on the shroud was a safety feature required in Europe.

11. Likes Todd@RUPES liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevine View Post
    No problem. I really appreciate the help. At least this way i can run it with or without the washer. Although I am liking it so far with. If by falling apart you mean literally. Man that's true too. I noticed one of the plastic screws that attaches the head cover was missing. That explains it. More great Rupes engineering.
    No, it won't fall apart literally. But the comfort, smoothness, balanced rotation/oscillation, and cooling of the tool are (in my experience) negatively affected.

If it works for ya, that's all that matters, but I like it was more with the Anti-Spin engaged when I use their proprietary pads and liquids. If not, then the washer mod is ok. 99% of the time I'm using their stuff though.

13. Likes Todd@RUPES liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast