autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3” polisher question

Looking to get a 3” and put a 2” rotary backing plate with a Ro/Da adapter and an extension. Mary B had one she posted on Autopia forum that was set up with an Adam’s SKM. It can be done with the griots 3” but not fond of the reviews of it. Don’t want to fork out money for Rupes or flex as only doing 2-3 cars per year. A guy from Adams customer service told me it couldn’t but didn’t sound like he knew what he was talking about (no idea on threading). Has anyone bought a SK in last few months and can verify if it’s still 5/16 24 thread? Any other polishers recommendations or if someone’s done this set up with griots, any input would be appreciated

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3” polisher question

I have the griots 3 inch, and I put the 2 inch backing plate (from ag). I love the little thing. Proper technique, and cuts and polishes just fine. You can use a fair amount of pressure, but keep the pad flat.

3. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes VISITOR, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbay View Post
    I have the griots 3 inch, and I put the 2 inch backing plate (from ag). I love the little thing. Proper technique, and cuts and polishes just fine. You can use a fair amount of pressure, but keep the pad flat.
    X2. I just did the same exact thing. works great and it's a cheap way to be more flexible. having sports bumpers(plastic) on my pick-up & car it comes in handy. even just the three inch comes in handy for doing bumpers.
    Carlo

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Griots and the griots 2” BP. Works great on delicate trim and will polish with speed 5-6. It’s not the smoothest but it does work and is inexpensive.
    I actually just did some sanding with it and polished out the sanding marks with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, Griot's 3" with the 2" backplate works really well. Did the convertion last year and was really happy about it. Used the 3" backplate on my Porter Cable machine, so now I have 2 5" machines (Rupes ES21 and Boss 15), 1 3" machine and 1 2" machine. Still need to find a solution for 1". I am not paying 900$ for a Nano... I might just buy a flexible shaft for my drill, and put the backplate on that. I think it would work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yep, Griot's 3" with the 2" backplate works really well. Did the convertion last year and was really happy about it. Used the 3" backplate on my Porter Cable machine, so now I have 2 5" machines (Rupes ES21 and Boss 15), 1 3" machine and 1 2" machine. Still need to find a solution for 1". I am not paying 900$ for a Nano... I might just buy a flexible shaft for my drill, and put the backplate on that. I think it would work well.
    For 1 inch I was going to do nano triz. Then I just decided dremel and 1” backing plate. Buff daddy.com makes a shaft to backing plate but I’ve emailed and called and left message with no return. Awful customer service

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Can you get decent correction with the Griots? Need to do plastic piano black panel on back of mustang

head down to the GG HQ's (being that you live close by them) and try out the GG3 with the 2" conversion. i'm sure they would be more than happy to let you play with one...

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Interesting comments....

Me?

I love the Griot's Garage 3" Mini Polisher. I know I have more pictures of it in action on the Internet than anyone. I show it in all my classes for not only polishing pad but also polishing glass, wetsanding headlights and wetsanding paint.

The key is using THIN pads and don't have unrealistic expectations, which most people do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I just did my black panel. Used the griots 3” & 2” setup. I really didn’t have the right pads for the 3” so I did some with the 2”. I didn’t get every single scratch, but I’m happy with it.
    before
    after

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast