autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steps to Detail New Toyota?

I plan on detailing my new Toyota, and wanted to get some suggestions.

I plan on using the following:
    - Iron X
    - Nanoskin Mit (Fine)
    - Hyper Polish
    - Wolfgang Deep Gloss

Any recommendations on a non-aggressive pad to apply the Hyper Polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steps to Detail New Toyota?

I actually just completed a detail on a new 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid.....used an nearly identical process and product, I used Hyper Polish with an LC Force Orange for most of the car and White pads for the gloss black pillars. The paint was in great shape with just minor imperfections here and there, polishing it also added just an extra bit of pop to the finish. Topped it off with CSL+EXO.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Steps to Detail New Toyota?-img_20190127_122849-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I have had very good luck with poor boys pro polish on new Toyotas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jackk819 View Post

Any recommendations on a non-aggressive pad to apply the Hyper Polish?

Any quality brand foam "polishing" pad.

Most finishing pads are too soft to offer any substantial correction. Even though the car is new, it likely has some level of marring to the paint. If it doesn't have any marring or swirls then use a foam "finishing" pad.

What type of polisher are you using?

Also - since this is your first post to the forum,

Welome to AutogeekOnline!

Post Thanks / Like

Hyper Polish on a Lake Country White Flat or Thin Pro pad will serve you well. I use this combination on my '13 Highlander and get great results every time.

I tend to use both types of pads interchangeably while doing the vehicle depending on the shape of the surface, but you could do the entire thing using only one type. If the paint in anything like what is on our vehicle, it corrects very easily and you shouldn't have to work too hard at it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some McKee’s 37 Coating prep wash to aid in the removal of whatever dealership applied crap is on the paint this way you don’t have as much residue on your pads. Also look into applying a sealant afterward to protect your new paint! Gyeon Can coat can be a good recommendation, or the trust Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Any quality brand foam "polishing" pad.

Most finishing pads are too soft to offer any substantial correction. Even though the car is new, it likely has some level of marring to the paint. If it doesn't have any marring or swirls then use a foam "finishing" pad.

What type of polisher are you using?

Also - since this is your first post to the forum,

Welome to AutogeekOnline!

Thanks for the reply! I'll be using a Porter DA, I was thinking of going with a blue Lake Country CCS or flat pad.

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't done this before and you haven't personally worked on the vehicle, I'd get a variety of pads. Until you do a test spot, you won't know if a particular pad and polish combo will meet your needs. Also, over time things will come up and having pad choices will help you adjust. Unless the vehicle is nearly perfect, I'd be afraid the blue pad would be too mild, that is why I like using white flat pads. They are pretty flexible and work great on soft paint with a finishing polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If you haven't done this before and you haven't personally worked on the vehicle, I'd get a variety of pads. Until you do a test spot, you won't know if a particular pad and polish combo will meet your needs. Also, over time things will come up and having pad choices will help you adjust. Unless the vehicle is nearly perfect, I'd be afraid the blue pad would be too mild, that is why I like using white flat pads. They are pretty flexible and work great on soft paint with a finishing polish.

Would the white pad not be too aggressive? My truck is a 2019, and I've only had it for a couple months. The clear coat is very thin, I'm just worried about going more aggressive then needed.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good think you think that way, many people new to this seem to think they need the most aggressive approach when it isn't needed.

When using the Lake Country Flat Pads, white isn't very aggressive at all. Unless they have changed things other than the descriptions, white is a good medium pad which is pretty versatile depending on the polish you use. I have '13 Highlander and have used white pads with a finishing polish since new and the paint is still in good shape. I polish it about once every 1~2 years depending on how the coating I've used has lasted.

Until you test a few pads with your polish, you won't know for sure whether the blue is aggressive enough. I would start with blue, but step down to white or orange if you aren't getting results. Hopefully you won't have to go down to an orange pad and you'll find blue or white will work. Even if blue works for you this time there will probably be a time in the future when something will happen to the truck and you'll have a spot which will need something stronger than the blue pad. It's always good to have a few pads on hand to deal with changing situations. I'd just hate for you to only have one type of pad on hand, find out you need something different, and either not be able to finish the work or press on and be unhappy with the results.

My '14 Highlander was delivered with tons of swirls. I was pretty happy I had a few pads to choose from and fortunately, white with a polish was all it required to look new. Nothing stronger was needed, though I have used orange pads with a polish (not a compound) to spot correct a few blemishes over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast