autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Silicon Products + Bodywork/Paint Work issues

Hello All,

I have a friend that I polished and Ceramic Coated their car Summer 2018. Unfortunately last week they brought it in to a bodyshop I know the owner of to fix a minor hit on their rear bumper. The owner of the body shop who I know took it in did the body work and painted it. He said he had little pin hole bubbles in the paint which looked to be caused by a Silicon product and asked me if I knew what was used on the car.

Cquartz UK 3.0 was the coating,
    But the owner of the car uses, CaPro Reload, Geyon WetCoat, Geyon Bathe+

Those products have silicon in them which has struck to the paint/body work and was causing him issues. He sanded everything down again, used properly degreasers and other chemicals that any bodyshop would use to remove the silicon and painted it and yet it did it again. I believe he tried a 3rd time with no success. In the end he bought a new OEM bumper at his cost painted that and got the work finished.

My question is, has anybody else seen these sort of issues? It seems like this is becoming a bigger issue as time goes on due to people wanting to protect their Ceramic Coating. He even contacted glasurit which is the paint he uses and they said they are starting to see more and more of these types of issues and are looking into to see what they can do. Its gotten me worried where I would not want to give him a headache in the future where I will likely stop using these topper type products on my car and just leave the ceramic coating alone unless I can find products that dont have silicone in them.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silicon Products + Bodywork/Paint Work issues

Sub’d

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he would benefit to polishing with a mf pad or wool pad. To get into the little valleys in the paint that not the sanding discs reach. Or maybe a foamed sanding disc of some sort would also work. Before prep with sanding and paint.

Think that the silicone oils is comeing back more and more as one part of the LSP QD spray waxes AIO and such in the chemicals mix up. Just when the rubber seals and interior protection products got the volatile silicone out of them. It's other places the silcone gets from and if on the paint it's not even needed to be volatile silicone. Strange it's not marked as not fresh paint friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

Its possible the sanding just embedded the silicon deeper into it and contaminated his equipment.

he was having the same issue with another car and called Adams as that owner used their detailing products. Right away the person on the phone said, no no no our products are full of silicone and are not bodyshop safe.

he also spoke to Chemical Guys as there is a location not to far from his shop and they said all their products are silicon free apparently, not sure if thats true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe he would benefit to polishing with a mf pad or wool pad. To get into the little valleys in the paint that not the sanding discs reach. Or maybe a foamed sanding disc of some sort would also work. Before prep with sanding and paint.

Think that the silicone oils is comeing back more and more as one part of the LSP QD spray waxes AIO and such in the chemicals mix up. Just when the rubber seals and interior protection products got the volatile silicone out of them. It's other places the silcone gets from and if on the paint it's not even needed to be volatile silicone. Strange it's not marked as not fresh paint friendly.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Silicone will definitely create fish eyes in paint, but normally it will all be sealed in after the first clearcoat job has dried.

I have had fish eyes come back coat after coat of clear, but that ended up being a bad pallet of clear that the paint manufacturer

eventually replaced and paid for labor to repair the all of the effected vehicles and parts.

Post Thanks / Like

yes he mentioned that also that usually he can put it under another layer of clear coat however it did not work this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong66 View Post
    Silicone will definitely create fish eyes in paint, but normally it will all be sealed in after the first clearcoat job has dried.

I have had fish eyes come back coat after coat of clear, but that ended up being a bad pallet of clear that the paint manufacturer

eventually replaced and paid for labor to repair the all of the effected vehicles and parts.

Post Thanks / Like

A number of things can cause fisheyes from finger prints to chemical reaction...I would trust the painter in this situation I'm sure he's been around

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I do trust him, hes been around for a long time and is very honest. Was more curious if others have seen this before or maybe they have some options for none silicon products to help protect ceramic coatings?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post
    A number of things can cause fisheyes from finger prints to chemical reaction...I would trust the painter in this situation I'm sure he's been around

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb question: do ceramic coatings include silicone? Is there a reason the toppers are a concern to the new paintwork vs the coating itself?

Post Thanks / Like

I asked him about that since Ceramic Coatings have silicon in them and he said he has never had an issue with Ceramic Coatings on cars likely because its cured where the other spray on stuff does not cure and sticks very well

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Dumb question: do ceramic coatings include silicone? Is there a reason the toppers are a concern to the new paintwork vs the coating itself?

12. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast