autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?

I see a lot of situations on the car forums where some unscrupulous detailers are selling newbies with brand new cars a 2 stage polish correction, then PPF like Xpel or Suntek, and then ceramic pro or any of the si02 coatings to "protect" the PPF.

I'm pretty sure that this is overkill. Do coatings stick to xpel? I can't believe that they do, I'm sure a polymer or si02 spray would be more than enuf. Where I see detailers taking advantage of people is they are charging for the ceramic as if there is a tremendous amount of correction , and there is absolutely none when putting it on top of PPF, except maybe an IPA wipe beforehand. PPF plus ceramic can run $5000 from some of these guys… One guy on the Camaro site. was paying 9000 bucks for this triple step package. Wow.....What's your opinion, experts?
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?

To answer your question. No. I just had a customer that wanted to install paint protect film or cermaic coating. The thing about PPF after a few years it has to be removed how many years varies based upon the manufacturer you choose. I tell customers if you are the type that don't keep your cars long then great PPF is great for you if not then it's a waste of money because you will have to remove and reinstall after a few years so we talking a few thousands. PPF will not stick to the car if you have cermaic coating on. Ceramic coating can be very costly especially if you're adding on paint correction on top. Now I will say with cermaic pro the more layers of 9H you install the more protection you will have because your adding more thickness to the paint. So you have to evaluate your pros and cons. We charge customers based upon our technicians experience level and how much labor that will be needed to make your vehicle perfect. Our paint correction costs around $200 an hour but depends on relationship we have with the customer we may discount it. Pricing is also determined on where you live. Like we are in DC so cost of living so on so on is very high so pricing is a lot higher versus a detailer in a smaller income area which cost of living is lower so their pricing is a lot lower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Clearview… I think you missed my questions.

Do you install ceramic pro on top of your PPF?.

If so , what does two applications of a coatings cost on average, on top of PPF?

And what does it actually do? Does it Give the PPF more gloss?, or more durability?

And does it actually cross-link and bond to the plastic PPF?

Thanks!
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

That's in there. You can't install PPF over cermaic coating because it will not stick and it's not recommended putting it on top of a ppf. You can install two layer of PPF coating for glass PPF and one layer if it's matte PPF. You have to get the ceramic coating that's designed for ppf. All that does is help propel water off the film but no added protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Clearview… I think you missed my questions.

Do you install ceramic pro on top of your PPF?.

If so , what does two applications of a coatings cost on average, on top of PPF?

And what does it actually do? Does it Give the PPF more gloss?, or more durability?

And does it actually cross-link and bond to the plastic PPF?

Thanks!
    All PPF does is protect paint from Rock chips and so on so on. Cermaic coating is

"Ceramic Pro is a multi-layerable, clear, liquid nano-ceramic coating. When cured, this technology will transform itself on the surface to a permanent, durable yet flexible glass shield. Ceramic Pro can be described as an additional clear coat, with 3 times the hardness and self cleaning properties."

Post Thanks / Like

Again I think were disconnecting… I know that. I'm saying do you prep the surface, do the correction, install the PPF, and then do a ceramic coating? Do you do that? Not ceramic first…I know ppf won't stick if a coating is laid down first.....

Or I guess to get it down to one question: does ceramic stick to PPF?
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    That's in there. You can't install PPF over cermaic coating because it will not stick and it's not recommended putting it on top of a ppf. You can install two layer of PPF coating for glass PPF and one layer if it's matte PPF. You have to get the ceramic coating that's designed for ppf. All that does is help propel water off the film but no added protection.

I think the question is the suitability of applying ceramic coating after PPF install. Does a ceramic on top of PPF provide any additional value?

8. Thanks glen e thanked for this post
    Likes glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think the question is the suitability of applying ceramic coating after PPF install. Does a ceramic on top of PPF provide any additional value?
    No it doesn't other than giving your money away just to say it's on there. Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill? But it will have to be a cermaic coating designed for ppf.

10. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there specific coatings made to go over PPF? I have never seen it written anywhere in any product description…

I'll send a message to ask Xpel Tech service and see what they have to say.....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    Are there specific coatings made to go over PPF? I have never seen it written anywhere in any product description…
    Cermaic pro does. You will have to have it installed by a authorized dealer. Keep it mind it's a sales tactic is basically everything it says is doing the paint protection film is already doing it based upon the lifetime of the film. We're a authorized installer but I keep it real with the customer. At the end of the day I'll always take your money but in reality it's really not need.

13. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast