autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?

SO I see a few of you guys saying that PPF will not stick to a Ceramic coating and should not be put on first.

I bought a new car in 2016 and I brought it home, applied Cquartz UK and then a few days later I got the full front end covered in PPF. I have had no issues with it not sticking, I also asked the installer before if it would be an issue and he said no it would not (he was correct) I have also put Ceramic coating on the PPF (as others have mentioned in this thread) without issues.

Now I dont know if its because I used a consumer grade ceramic coating and maybe its not as good as the Pro stuff some of you may install but I never had issues with the PPF going on top of my ceramic coating

2. Thanks WristyManchego thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Q: ceramic over xpel...overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by bryanviper View Post
    SO I see a few of you guys saying that PPF will not stick to a Ceramic coating and should not be put on first.

I bought a new car in 2016 and I brought it home, applied Cquartz UK and then a few days later I got the full front end covered in PPF. I have had no issues with it not sticking, I also asked the installer before if it would be an issue and he said no it would not (he was correct) I have also put Ceramic coating on the PPF (as others have mentioned in this thread) without issues.

Now I dont know if its because I used a consumer grade ceramic coating and maybe its not as good as the Pro stuff some of you may install but I never had issues with the PPF going on top of my ceramic coating
    It can cause bonding issues and most film manufactures won't warranty it if it lifts when the paint has been coated. I've seen plenty of installers say they've had issues with it too, though I think it's going to be more of an issue with coatings that leave the paint feeling slick to the touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This weeks VIP special

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this thread as I have a client who wants to get his Corvette ppf and coated.

Rasky, to your point on the film hiding swirls and doing minimal to no polish, I guess you're right that that's up to the client. I suppose if you did a minor correction, same as applying any lsp, wipe off any oils?

The ppf will be installed elsewhere after I correct the paint. Rinseless or waterless wash is a good recommendation for the ppf installer before they install the film down?

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon TDS View Post
    Reviving this thread as I have a client who wants to get his Corvette ppf and coated.

Rasky, to your point on the film hiding swirls and doing minimal to no polish, I guess you're right that that's up to the client. I suppose if you did a minor correction, same as applying any lsp, wipe off any oils?

The ppf will be installed elsewhere after I correct the paint. Rinseless or waterless wash is a good recommendation for the ppf installer before they install the film down?

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

If the PPF installer is any good, they will know how to prep the paint, including getting the polishing oils off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If the PPF installer is any good, they will know how to prep the paint, including getting the polishing oils off.
    Honestly. All the best PPF installers in my area just come, wash the vehicle, clay bar, IPA and start wrapping. Some quick touch up paint if needed. Never had any issues. These are people who have done this for 15+ years and do all the exotic car dealerships in the area. True PPF artists.

Never once have I seen them use a buffer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234