autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Glare

How do I repair a glare on the windshield during a rainstorm and wipers on? Wiper blade clean the glass but there is a glare left on the glass that gets worse when the oncoming headlamps shine on it making it difficult to see at night.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Glare

Sounds like your windshield needs to be polished. I've read a how-to thread on it and apparently it is widely accepted that you need a rotary polisher to properly do the job along with a lot of patience. My windshield does the same thing, i can't see anything because of oncoming headlights when it's raining at night because the windshield is so swirled out.

oh, and new wiper blades help a lot. don't buy the cheap ones, i spend 40-50 bucks when i get wipers and it's so worth it. if you cheap out of wiper blades and spend only 15-20 bucks any improvement will be marginal and will not last long. best to spend money there. i've probably had mine for 2 years now and i only just now need new blades so really you probably end up spending more on cheap blades because you have to replace them more often.

3. Thanks amotichka19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you put anything on the windshield or use the RainX washer fluid?

I used the RainX fluid for a while and the product the fluid left behind prevented the wipers from removing all the water from the glass in anything less than a heavy rain. In misty conditions, and espicially at night, it made visibility really bad. To solve the problem I lightly polished the glass, cleaned it, and then installed new wipers.

How clean is the inside of the glass? Sometimes even a small amount of residue on the inside of the glass will create glare at night as well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

5. Thanks amotichka19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The type of coating on the windshield will also make a difference. I noticed that RainX will leave behind a visible smear as the wiper makes a pass. Aquapel and Griots Sealant wipe away cleanly.

7. Thanks amotichka19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What does the exterior of the windshield look like when dry? Is there a line where the windshield wipers run? If so then a polishing is in order. You can polish off road film using a RO polisher. Microfiber pads and a cutting compound can be successful. If that doesn’t work step up to cerium oxide and rayon pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Read Mike's Articles:

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Road grime will build up on the surface of just about everything. My suggestion:

1.) Do your normal wash routine on the vehicle.

2.) Clean glass thorough with a good glass cleaner and glass towels such as Sonax Glass Cleaner and White Waffle Glass towels.
    SONAX Glass Cleaner, Glass Clear, auto glass cleaner
    The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber.

3.) Clay the glass

4.) Polish the glass (any polish will typically work.. Megs M205, or Megs consumer OTC brand Ultimate etc...)

5.) Clean the glass again as in step #2, this time use Pinnacle Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent. You can even put a few ounces in your reservoir.
    Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent
    The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber.

6.) Replace your windshield wipers with new high-quality wipers

Hope this helps!

10. Likes Desertnate liked this post