autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: pad selection for forced DA regarding product absorbtion and forced rotation

Really like the experience and expertise shared in this post!

I started detailing with a $200 Torqx D/A buffer and some Hex-Logic pads - never had any issues of any kind or problems with micro-marring, but, in fairness never attempted to use the Hex-Logic pads on any other D/A buffer - certainly not on a long throw D/A like my Rupes 21LHR or a forced rotation D/A like my Flex 3401. I never chose to test other pads on the Torqx since, as I said, I never had any issues.

I did have a problem with some Rupes pads, which I thought might have been defective, when I first started using the 21LHR, but, in hindsight I think it was more likely a heat buildup issue as a result of “user error” on my first experience with a (very) long throw and large pads on a large vehicle.

In any event, upon replacing the pads (thanks again Mike) I have had no problems since and will continue to use Rupes pads on the 21LHR. On the Rupes polishers (21LHR and iBrid) I decided to stick with their pads and polishes - e.g. the complete Rupes system.

Since using the Lake Country Force Hybrid pads, which appear to be, in my limited experience, the perfect Flex 3401 pads. I decided I like them so much they’re the only ones I’ll stock for both the 3401 and going forward, the Torqx as well as the Hex-Logic pads get replaced.

Just trying first to get, and then to Keep It Simple Simon…

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pad selection for forced DA regarding product absorbtion and forced rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Closed cell foam has less tensile strength than open cell pads. This means instead of stretching they will simply tear, thus they won't last as long.

Also - while the "idea" of closed cell foam paints a picture in your mind's eye that the foam won't soak up product as much as a open cell foam, practical experience shows they still saturate with product so any benefit is short lived unless you change pads often, as in one pad per panel for compounding and polishing.

I'm not a fan of pad design and most pros I know think like me. Flat pads eliminate the risk of any particulate becoming lodged in the "design". For example, a few years ago Meguiar's introduced their Solo 1 foam pads with a diamond cut in the face of the pad. I was sitting in a meeting at Meguiar's when the pads were being developed. I asked, "What is the benefit to the diamond cut in the face of the pad?" the answer was it was a change up from the normal flat pad design Meguiar's introduced in 1965. In other words, no benefit. Where are the pads now? (they've been discontinued and now Meguiar's only offers FLAT foam pads).

So use the hexlogic if you like them but they are harder to clean with a brush, take longer to clean with a brush and because there are now "places" for an foreign debris, contaminants, even product to build up "into" they increase the risk for a problem i.e. a scratch being instilled into the paint during the buffing process.

I always post,

KISS - Keep it Simple Simon

Flat is your friend.

Also - be careful which Detailing Gurus or experts you follow.

Mike,

I've always had good luck with Lake Country pads...I've only used LC Hydro tech and LC Force Hybrids (with the hole in the center) with my Flex 3401.

Would you recommend the LC Force Hybrids or just the LC Flat pads for use with the 3401?
    For the Flex 3401, would you

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 paired with LC Forced Hybrids is a killer combo.

Lakeland -Tampa - St Pete - Clearwater - Sarasota
    Boats / Auto / Trucks / RVs
    863-738-8336 Follow us on Instagram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12