autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sio2 topper over polymer-based sealant

Preface: I put CarPro Elixir over the existing (3-months and going strong) Ultimate Fast Finish base the other day. I used it like a quick detailer, as advertised.

So, as you can see from the above, I did the unthinkable. It turned out there was some strange reaction, and the Elixir actually burned through the hood and engine, in the shape of a pentagram. Just kidding! My car looks glossy af. Obviously, no idea about durability yet, and it won't rain for a while so I won't be able to see the water properties for a few days.

In many forums, Ive read implicit and explicit advice that Sio2 products go on coatings only (via. Guz's excellent review of EliXir here, where a couple of times he explicitly mentions it's for coated cars), and you should put polymer products on polymer (that is, I should have put Beadmaker over FF, not EliXir). But I`ve never seen it explained why. My google-fu is merely yellow sash level, but have not found an explanation, just the advice, repeated in many threads, that Sio2 products should go on coatings only. I couldn`t find any explanation as to the science (e.g., the Sio2 will eat through the polymer, the Sio2 won`t bond to the FastFinish so will just wash off first rain, etc). I couldn`t even find any bad anecdotal stories. I found several other anecdotes around EliXir specifically, which people put on traditional sealants, with all positive results. CarPro specifically advertises EliXir as being for coated or uncoated cars.

I`d appreciate any pointers, links to threads, first-hand anecdotes, or scientific or informal explanations as to why I might have made a terrible mistake (if in fact, I did). Very much appreciate any help!

Frank

2. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sio2 topper over polymer-based sealant

IN for answers as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting question, IN for answers as well

Post Thanks / Like

I used SIO2 over Duragloss, Turtle Wax Express, and Mothers wax and no problem. Ive also used spray wax over S1O2 no problems . After all S1O2 is a form of silicone.

Post Thanks / Like

There won’t be any problems. Very little SiO2 involved.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    There won’t be any problems. Very little SiO2 involved.
    Agree, it's pretty diluted. So what if it weren't? What negative effect would higher levels of Sio2 have on my fast finish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sumdown View Post
    Agree, it's pretty diluted. So what if it weren't? What negative effect would higher levels of Sio2 have on my fast finish?
    Probably would not bond at around 25% SiO2.

Post Thanks / Like

It may not bond so would be wiping off most of the sio2? Even if it did bond. Most sio2 coating last longer but would probably only last as UFF. Would be wasting money. You could probably top the other way around.

If you like UFF why not just top with another coat instead of trying to mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Preface: I put CarPro Elixir over the existing (3-months and going strong) Ultimate Fast Finish base the other day. I used it like a quick detailer, as advertised.

So, as you can see from the above, I did the unthinkable. It turned out there was some strange reaction, and the Elixir actually burned through the hood and engine, in the shape of a pentagram. Just kidding! My car looks glossy af. Obviously, no idea about durability yet, and it won't rain for a while so I won't be able to see the water properties for a few days.

In many forums, Ive read implicit and explicit advice that Sio2 products go on coatings only (via. Guz's excellent review of EliXir here, where a couple of times he explicitly mentions it's for coated cars), and you should put polymer products on polymer (that is, I should have put Beadmaker over FF, not EliXir). But I`ve never seen it explained why. My google-fu is merely yellow sash level, but have not found an explanation, just the advice, repeated in many threads, that Sio2 products should go on coatings only. I couldn`t find any explanation as to the science (e.g., the Sio2 will eat through the polymer, the Sio2 won`t bond to the FastFinish so will just wash off first rain, etc). I couldn`t even find any bad anecdotal stories. I found several other anecdotes around EliXir specifically, which people put on traditional sealants, with all positive results. CarPro specifically advertises EliXir as being for coated or uncoated cars.

I`d appreciate any pointers, links to threads, first-hand anecdotes, or scientific or informal explanations as to why I might have made a terrible mistake (if in fact, I did). Very much appreciate any help!

Frank
    i put reload over ultimate fast finish and it did not go on well. totally streaky and i really could not get it out maybe if i used a damp towel it could have. dont know. luckily i only did it on maybe a third of the hood and one fender. after that i told myself no more will i try that.

Post Thanks / Like

SiO2 is not a silicone. It is silicon dioxide.

You can do it whatever way you want to. If a SiO2 topper applies over a polymer sealant or hybrid wax without any issues like streaking then go right ahead. You are using it like a spray wax.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast