autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Leather Cleaning

Afternoon all,

My Range Rover Sport has just over 20k miles and has never gotten an interior detail before.. Thankfully?

the leather seats are absolutely perfect, matte colored and not a spot of armor all shine anywhere.

My question would be, how should I actually clean these seats and keep them conditioned? I would really hate to lose the pristine look of the seats.

I've tried a damp micro fiber cloth, and that actually cleaned most of any spots on the white parts of the leather, and entirely cleaned the black leather seats. But, I am worried about how to condition the leather or if this will eventually damage the seats.

PS:

on my 1991, the leather is both quite hard and glossy on the front seats, unlike the rear which is soft (but still glossy), is there any way to fix this?

thanks,

Rob
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Dynamic - 5.0 SC V8 - Tuned to 550BHP
    1991 Range Rover Classic County - 3.9 N/A V8
    2004 Land Rover Discovery SE7 - 4.6 N/A V8 - Crower Cam/Top Hat Liners

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leather Cleaning

I would look into Leather Master’s line of products. They have something for all kinds of leather needs. You can find them right here on Autogeek
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

3. Dislikes L494 disliked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well that doesn't really answer my question..

I look online and there's all these people using steam, brushes, some kind of soaps.. and not just an all in one product.

I'm looking for someone that wanted the same finish, found a way to make it happen, and has documented it.

Thanks for your reply and I will indeed look into their line,

Rob

5. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my Audi I use Pinnacle Leather & Vinyl Cleaner and so far it looks like the day I brought it home. It does a great job of cleaning Jean stains on the seat without changing the look. I like the factory look with no shine so I use this on the leather and Nextzett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner on everything else. I also just picked up McKee’s 37 FAST Interior Detailer and so far it looks good but I want to test it a little longer in the wife's car first.

I have not used a conditioner as I normally keep my cars for a short period (2-4 years)and I have yet to find a true leather conditioner that does not change the look at all. I travel to Germany often and have a friend at the Audi factory. I spoke to an engineer and they recommend only a damp cloth for normal cleaning. He said even the real leather seats are coated and will last the life of the cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I typically use Mckees 37 high intensity APC diluted either 10:1 or 15:1 depending on how dirty it is. I aggitate with a soft bristle brush and dry. Then use a leather conditioner of your choice. Wolfgang is a solid choice as well as Mckees 37.

I will typically clean my interior like this once every 3 months or so. In between I wipe everything down with an interior detailer.

8. Likes Breese147 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you machz, I'll try your products first.

I keep my cars for a pretty long time (take for example my Discovery, I am the first and sole owner of it) so I'd like to keep it perfect as long as I can.

cwp, will the APC help with shiny old leather? I've heard it being used to bring leather back to its original self.

Post Thanks / Like

APC should help remove that shine/body oils. Start at 15:1 and then go up. For that I would also recommend a soft boars hair interior brush to agitate safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

11. Likes L494 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L494 View Post
    Thank you machz, I'll try your products first.

I keep my cars for a pretty long time (take for example my Discovery, I am the first and sole owner of it) so I'd like to keep it perfect as long as I can.

cwp, will the APC help with shiny old leather? I've heard it being used to bring leather back to its original self.
    Yes it will. I wish I took more pictures so I could post one.

If you clean old shiny leather with a diluted APC then it will restore the color and feel back to the leather. The sheen is from body oils and dirt making it appear shiny. Clean leather should just be black (or tan, grey etc.)

13. Likes L494 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For cleaning I have found that Ultimate Interior Shampoo Gel with a soft Sonax brush works the best. Work one small section at a time and wipe up the residue with a white terry towel.

15. Likes L494 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used McKee's 37 All In One Leather Lotion for several years and really liked it. Easy to use, one-step, product.

Looking at the McKee's product page, I'm not sure if it is available any longer. It's not listed by that name and the "Leather Conditioner" page seems to use the leather lotion name in the product copy right along with "conditioner", which might be a new naming of the same product. It's rather jumbled and confusing.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

17. Likes L494 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast