autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can someone explain “wash induced marring”?

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    will do.

I got a free one from Autogeek during a Christmas purchase a couple years ago and for the life of me couldn't find it after.
    Well I couldn't find any that were reasonably priced and decent web appeal any other places
    I bought 4, 2 packs at $15 apiece. That's reasonable.

I think the amazon folks had them for $6 more per set.
    I explained to the kids tonight while washing my daughters car, the future new method of no more rinse bucket.
    Big approval on the lotsa pads.
    What car shampoo do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

I know I’m going to get noise but I’m just asking a question not trying to troll. Technically when applying any coating of say paste wax and spreading it on your car, doesn’t that create scratches? Again not trying to troll, according to every detailer I’ve heard anything that touches the paint is considered a scratch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post
    I know I’m going to get noise but I’m just asking a question not trying to troll. Technically when applying any coating of say paste wax and spreading it on your car, doesn’t that create scratches? Again not trying to troll, according to every detailer I’ve heard anything that touches the paint is considered a scratch.
    While I guess this is technically true, if one is THAT worried about the microscopic marring that would occur while correctly applying a wax, sealant, or even a coating, then that person should seek some sort of psychiatric care.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the better way to put it would be when buffing off a sealant or coating... When doing so you’re eventually dry buffing, and in the eyes of those people that should induce swirls.

I personally don’t believe that at all. As long as the paint is clean there shouldn’t be any possibility of swirls unless your towels are truly bad or the paint is crazy soft... And if the paint is that soft you might want to consider getting rid of the car. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

If :

1. The paint surface is clean (no dust, pollen, etc.)
    2. You use a high quality MF or foam applicator that is free of contamination
    3. You use a wax or sealant that has no abrasives (ie. no AIO's)
    4. You use high quality MF towels for removal/buff that are free of contamination

Then I'd say the chance of scratching the paint is almost non-existent.

Post Thanks / Like

my wife has a 2018 Dodge Durango GT red octane pearl coat. From your experience do Dodge have soft paint?

Post Thanks / Like

my wife has a 2018 Dodge Durango GT red octane pearl coat. From your experience do Dodge have soft paint?
    In my experience, no. They do not. All I have corrected in my life have been Mopar vehicles.

But every case can be different.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    If :

1. The paint surface is clean (no dust, pollen, etc.)
    2. You use a high quality MF or foam applicator that is free of contamination
    3. You use a wax or sealant that has no abrasives (ie. no AIO's)
    4. You use high quality MF towels for removal/buff that are free of contamination

Then I'd say the chance of scratching the paint is almost non-existent.
    Agree. If you're getting marring while applying an LSP you're doing it wrong. The applicators and MF towels using to apply/buff out the product should be soft enough and free of any embedded debris to ensure any marring is a non-issue.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree. If you're getting marring while applying an LSP you're doing it wrong. The applicators and MF towels using to apply/buff out the product should be soft enough and free of any embedded debris to ensure any marring is a non-issue.
    If you can post some recommendations for microfiber applicator pads and towels that you tried thank you, I’m trying to learn the right way

Post Thanks / Like

What are you trying to apply? For LSPs I use my DA and Lake County's soft, black, foam pad. On tight areas I use the Meguiars foam applicators, but the Griot soft applicator pads would probably work just as well. Both are sold here. For coatings I use the applicator and the suede patches sold with the applicator. I don't use the suede rag most include as it doesn't work well for me.

For buffing out I'll use a quality, but not expensive general purpose MF towel not sold here, but those sold here will work very well too. The trick with the towels is not only getting good ones, but also keeping them soft and free from debris. One small fleck of something hard caught in the fabric will cause big problems.

Technique also comes into play. if your pressing too hard on the towel, no matter what it is, you could get some marring. Any buffing should be gentle. Most products will go on really thin which will make removal really easy as long as you don't let them stay on too long.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast