autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Searching for Paint Correction Solutions

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year. Request advice to best remedy rock chips, Bird waste, road tar, and water spots. I've never detailed a vehicle. I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado, and I have at least a dozen rock chips from TX and HI roads that are constantly in repair. Should I take my vehicle to some sort of repair shop to fix the rock chips? What are your best suggestions for tar, hard water, and spots left from bird waste? Thanks in advance.

v/r

Anthony Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Searching for Paint Correction Solutions

Have to tell you, I had great luck with Dr. Colorchip. Paint matched perfectly, and is easy to use. I'd say most of the repairs looked great from two feet away or more. A few came out almost perfect.

A tad on the expensive side, but it's way cheaper than taking to to a repair shop.

If you go that route, if I can offer a suggestion - Inspect your vehicle carefully, and mark where every chip you want to repair is. I used shaving cream, but if I were to do it now, I'd probably use a light colored polish (I have a black car). Once you fill the chips in, it can be tough to find them again to do the next couple of steps.

Good luck!

3. Thanks ajfromdablvd thanked for this post
    Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what MK9750 said. Dr. Color chip. Fool-proof really.

In terms of hard water, etc. if you're not going to jump into machine polishing, etc. work with 3D Eraser Gel. Just know that it will strip any and all waxes and sealants off too so you'll want to reserve time to re-apply something. Given this is all new to you and again, perhaps aren't jumping into the machine world yet, get something easy like Beadmaker, spray-on / wipe off sealant. Opti-Seal is another that works great. Both will give you 60 day protection which isn't nearly as long as other products but it gives you speed and protection / ease of use until you get grounded on a long term approach.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks ajfromdablvd thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with going with Dr Colorchip for the rock chips. It’s pretty easy and the results are good.

As far as the other flaws, do you have a polisher? A good polisher would be a start point. Trying to correct paint by hand is not fun. After you decide on a polisher then we can give you more advice on pads and polishes to correct your defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I agree with going with Dr Colorchip for the rock chips. It’s pretty easy and the results are good.

As far as the other flaws, do you have a polisher? A good polisher would be a start point. Trying to correct paint by hand is not fun. After you decide on a polisher then we can give you more advice on pads and polishes to correct your defects.
    THIS is advice that should be followed!
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Thanks for the info! I don't have a polisher yet. A friend suggested using a Porter Cable brand. Any suggestions on a quality brand polisher?

v/r

Anthony Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help!

v/r

Anthony Jackson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ajfromdablvd View Post
    Thanks for the info! I don't have a polisher yet. A friend suggested using a Porter Cable brand. Any suggestions on a quality brand polisher?

v/r

Anthony Jackson
    Go with a Griots 6" DA polisher.

11. Likes VISITOR, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I also suggest the Griots 6 inch polisher. It has more power than the Porter Cable. Buy at least 6 pads for cutting and 6 for finishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast