autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very surprised by the lack of filler removal by gyeon prep

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I’d say the main problem for me is I’m addicted to how good Eraser smells.
    It does smell good. One car I did last summer, the guy was, "Man, what IS that stuff?! Smells so good!" He kept picking up the bottle and reading it over.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

What we're you working on?

What type of tool did you use?

What was the sanding paper or disc?

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

My test hood. Black OEM Volvo paint.

Rupes 15mm II

Rupes 3000 foam backed disc(sanded with 12mm DA).

So the reason I asked is because I've done a fair bit of sanding in my life and one thing I've learned by experience is the most effective way to 100% remove sanding marks is to go full pedal to the metal and use a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Not only is it more effective it's usually faster. Then I remove my holograms.

What I have experienced when using foam pads on any orbital is the sanding marks are not removed - this is what you experienced. My guess is, if you had used a wool pad on a rotary buffer with a compound, there would not have been any sanding marks to fill thus one and done.

3. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the reason I asked is because I've done a fair bit of sanding in my life and one thing I've learned by experience is the most effective way to 100% remove sanding marks is to go full pedal to the metal and use a wool pad with a rotary buffer. Not only is it more effective it's usually faster. Then I remove my holograms.

What I have experienced when using foam pads on any orbital is the sanding marks are not removed - this is what you experienced. My guess is, if you had used a wool pad on a rotary buffer with a compound, there would not have been any sanding marks to fill thus one and done.

I purposely tried not to eliminate all sanding marks. I was testing the cutting ability between two compounds. I went with a foam pad, as I knew there would be scratches left over, but I wanted to see which compound removed more. Regardless, the fact gyeon prep only removed the topical oils surprised me, as it didn't reveal anywhere near the true finish. I felt like I did a magic trick when I wiped with Gtech panel wipe...lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

That makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

6. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone should do a detailed side by side comparison between several of these products on the same panel to see which ones perform the best. And don’t forget the pics.Very surprised by the lack of filler removal by gyeon prep

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

same here,,for cutting out wetsanding wool is the way to go,,I follow up up with either a foam pad on the rotary or grab the orbital,,,,or both,,depnds on the color and how much area I am working with.

I have found that the LC orange pads on the orbital,on speed 6 will work good on small areas (about dollar bill sized) although now I am using Carbrite Select orange pads and getting the same results.

The company my supply guy works for no longer does business with LC (for now anyway) but the CB select pads are pretty durable as well.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    same here,,for cutting out wetsanding wool is the way to go,,I follow up up with either a foam pad on the rotary or grab the orbital,,,,or both,,depnds on the color and how much area I am working with.

I have found that the LC orange pads on the orbital,on speed 6 will work good on small areas (about dollar bill sized) although now I am using Carbrite Select orange pads and getting the same results.

The company my supply guy works for no longer does business with LC (for now anyway) but the CB select pads are pretty durable as well.
    Meguiars microfiber pads w/D300 can do it on speed 4 using an 8mm MT300. That’s how my car was done and it left it lsp ready to boot.Very surprised by the lack of filler removal by gyeon prep

Post Thanks / Like

Came across Kleanstrip Prep-All paint prep locally. Really like this stuff. Slick wipe off and really digs deep to remove those fillers. Way better than IPA based prep sprays, IMO.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

12. Likes SWETM, Loach, DaveT435, fly07sti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Meguiars microfiber pads w/D300 can do it on speed 4 using an 8mm MT300. That’s how my car was done and it left it lsp ready to boot.Very surprised by the lack of filler removal by gyeon prep

I'm surprised the D300 w microfiber isn't mentioned more often. It's a great combo that cuts deep and leaves a respectable finish. Definately a 'low and slow' proposition to really make it effective but the stuff just plain works.

14. Likes Eldorado2k, Goonie75, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I'm surprised the D300 w microfiber isn't mentioned more often. It's a great combo that cuts deep and leaves a respectable finish. Definately a 'low and slow' proposition to really make it effective but the stuff just plain works.
    Seriously. You saw what it did for my other Caddy too. There’s a reason why it was the 1st thing I reached for and it didn’t disappoint.

16. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast