autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wheel barrels that aren’t worth cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Yes, OEM. Anyone who details these trucks (at least the last gen) knows the horror of cleaning GM wheels.
    The whole thing is a horror. It’s too damn big.

2. Likes MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@MikeC78. If you could do it over, is there a vehicle you wish you would’ve bought instead?

Post Thanks / Like

On the wheels on my car, I try to clean the barrels as well as I can, but knew it wasn't perfect, and I was fine with it. I certainly wasn't going to do a wheels off just to clean the barrels, especially when the only dirty part couldn't be seen by anyone but the guy rotating my tires.

But I just bought a set of snow tires on rims, and before I put them on the car, I cleaned the barrels as well as possible and coated them. Here's a picture of the before and after:
    -wheel-picture-1-jpg

When I make the switch this week, I'm going to try to clean up the OEM wheels as well as I can, too. I couldn't see the point in taking them off for the sake of taking them off, but now that they'll be off (and I'll have a few months to work on them), I'm going to make the effort.

I imagine where you're out, there's no reason for snow tires, so no reason to go through what I am. Were I you, I'd leave 'em.

5. Likes Eldorado2k, SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @MikeC78. If you could do it over, is there a vehicle you wish you would’ve bought instead?
    For the size/room during the time frame I bought mine, No. Today, there are many more offerings and Ford has done a good job with the newer expedition/navigator. To answer your question, I'm unsure? I'm just overall not happy with GM and their direction with the company as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel barrels that aren’t worth cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    For the size/room during the time frame I bought mine, No. Today, there are many more offerings and Ford has done a good job with the newer expedition/navigator. To answer your question, I'm unsure? I'm just overall not happy with GM and their direction with the company as a whole.
    Oh I definitely agree with you on the questionable direction they’re moving towards.. That CEO they put in is getting on my nerves. I wonder if they thought she’d only last a year or 2 before she crumbled under pressure and quit. 6yrs. later she’s still there and is intent on making all of GM’s vehicles 100% electric. I’m no expert, but it seems like the worst idea ever.

Where the hell is anyone charging up a vehicle on the road these days? Nowhere. These tree huggers are out of control. And what kind of used Cadillac am I supposed to be driving 8yrs. from now? There’s no way in hell I’m going to be looking forward to getting 1 of these crappy CUV’s/SUV’s that have no business being a Cadillac in the 1st place. I hate their new lineup.

8. Likes MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    But I just bought a set of snow tires on rims, and before I put them on the car, I cleaned the barrels as well as possible and coated them.
    Curious...when you say "coat", do you mean just normal coat, similar to what you do on the paint? Or is there something more durable, that, even if they do get caked, the "coat" will protect from pits and more extensive damage?

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

I used McKee's 37 Paint Coating. Hope that by using it and trying to maintain / keep clean during normal washes, I can keep the barrels from looking like they did when I bought them.

11. Thanks ejaf thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kind of on the same boat as to whether or not to remove my wheels to clean them out. I bought them used for my off-road Jeep. I fully intend to clean and polish the AL face, but undecided on the barrels. In the end, with my bad back, I'll likely remove them from the jeep to polish them up more comfortably, so might as well clean the barrels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Kind of on the same boat as to whether or not to remove my wheels to clean them out. I bought them used for my off-road Jeep. I fully intend to clean and polish the AL face, but undecided on the barrels. In the end, with my bad back, I'll likely remove them from the jeep to polish them up more comfortably, so might as well clean the barrels.
    I take it the barrels are the unfinished kind?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post
    On the wheels on my car, I try to clean the barrels as well as I can, but knew it wasn't perfect, and I was fine with it. I certainly wasn't going to do a wheels off just to clean the barrels, especially when the only dirty part couldn't be seen by anyone but the guy rotating my tires.

But I just bought a set of snow tires on rims, and before I put them on the car, I cleaned the barrels as well as possible and coated them. Here's a picture of the before and after:
    -wheel-picture-1-jpg

When I make the switch this week, I'm going to try to clean up the OEM wheels as well as I can, too. I couldn't see the point in taking them off for the sake of taking them off, but now that they'll be off (and I'll have a few months to work on them), I'm going to make the effort.

I imagine where you're out, there's no reason for snow tires, so no reason to go through what I am. Were I you, I'd leave 'em.
    Are those barrels unfinished or are they painted and smooth?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast