autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Black Yukon and the usual stuff

Just brought home a new black Yukon and am considering putting a ceramic coating on it. It's the brand new family hauler, and we've got three small children, so I want to do everything I can to keep it looking good.
    I've been reading just a bit on the coatings and want to take advantage of the sale today, so I wanted to get some recommendations. I'm leaning towards CQuartz because they've been around for quite awhile and have lots of good feedback, and was eyeballing the UK edition.
    Also, what are some recommendations for interior protectants? I'd like to give the inside a fighting chance against the hazards of our kids, which is why the floor mats are coming out and floor liners are going in. However, I'd like something for the rest of the surface area as well. Thanks for any input folks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Black Yukon and the usual stuff

As a beginner, you can't go wrong with CQuartz, especially with the UK version, which can be applied even at relatively low temperatures (obviously not close to or below freezing point though), and is also very forgiving regarding buffing times. It's also less expensive than most newer coatings, while still providing a comparable - if not better - gloss and durability.

One thing to note is, that when applying a ceramic coating, it always makes sense to at least lightly polish the car (preferably with a machine polisher), in order to minimize the amount of surface defects that get locked in, to maximize the gloss, and to remove any lingering protectants (sealants, waxes) that might still be on paint and might prevent the coating from bonding properly.

As for the interior protection: CarPro also has great ceramic protectants for both leather and fabric seats (CarPro Fabric / Leather coat), and CarPro Perl (diluted at least 1:3) is also a very good dressing for all plastic interior trims.

Of course other manufacturers also have similar products that perform comparably well - I'm just mentioning CarPro products to stay "in the family", if you're already planning to apply CQUK to the paint.

3. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a professional here, but I have used CQuartz as my first step into coatings and have been very happy with it. It was relatively easy to apply and buff. The end properties are good as well. The car stays a lot cleaner than it did with just a sealant. Keep in mind it isn't the slickest feeling or the craziest beading. And also follow the recommendation of polishing the car before applying and using something like Carpro Eraser before applying.

My other car I went with Gyeon Syncro. It feels slicker and beads better. It was more of a pain in the butt to apply, 3 coats. 2 of one item and 1 of the other with delay in between. The actual application is easy, but the time requirement was a pain.

I definitely recommend doing a coating if you're care about your cars appearance and have limited opportunity to keep up with it. Not saying you can neglect your car after doing it, but the car stays a lot nicer when life gets in the way.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm good with it being beginner friendly! I've got a whole compliment of Wolfgang products, amongst others...from detailing my Mustang over the years, but have never messed with ceramic coatings. And I had looked into Wolfgang coating, but from what I've read it doesn't quite have the shine others do. Which is surprising, considering how amazing Fuzion looks on black.
    I declined having a detail done by the dealer as I have seen first-hand what happens when a guy running a buffer doesn't know what to do. And with it being brand new, I don't want to risk having a marred palette to start with. I figured anyhow I would need to do a light polish just to ensure a clean slate.
    Down the road I wouldn't be opposed to trying something more advanced, but right now I want to get something on there as I do not have a whole lot of free time. So if this will go on easy, as compared to some, and last a long time then I am all for it. This is the first brand new vehicle my wife and I have bought, so I want to make it look its best as long as possible.
    I'm on board with keeping it all in the family, as I have done with Wolfgang, so would any of those products work well for prep or should I just pick up some Eraser just to be on the safe side?
    I appreciate the info fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

For the interior invest in some good seat covers, nothing else will protect an interior from kids and the accidents that happen.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Sear covers and rubber matts? Ahh say it ain’t so... Who’s going to be able to actually enjoy the vehicle? The next owner?New Black Yukon and the usual stuff

You only live once. Spray some Scotchgard on the carpets & matts and vacuum the interior once per week. Wipedown with quik interior detailer and you should be fine. But don’t kill it with rubber matts and seat covers.

Post Thanks / Like

New Black Yukon and the usual stuff

Previous owner had rubber matts.

1st thing I did was throw them in the trash. They never protect anything..

All my customers who have rubber matts just create more work when it comes time to vacuum their interior.. And to top it off the carpets underneath are always full of sand and stuff to clean up anyways, it’s like double the work.

This is the only way I roll. I have 2 cars with light carpet and they both stay clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the seat cover idea on Momma, and she put that right to sleep. Which honestly, i'm not a big fan of either because I do love how the seats look. We are going to get some seat protectors for the car seats though. And I got some free Weathertech-style floor liners from the dealer, and we compromised that they would only go in the back; she likes having carpet under her feet when we travel. Which again, i'm okay with, because all that covers a good portion of what will be tread upon daily.
    The seats will definitely be getting a coat of something though. The dash and trim as well, but that's not priority like the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

All rubber mats are designed to do is make you realize how much better life is without them. Like cats.

11. Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mydnyghte View Post
    so would any of those products work well for prep or should I just pick up some Eraser just to be on the safe side?
    Eraser is pretty expensive, but of course it fits the purpose. And if used and applied with common sense, a 500 ml bottle should be more than enough to prep even a large SUV before coating, probably even twice. That said, if you don't have money to throw away, then I suggest you just buy some isopropyl alcohol and make your own 20-30% IPA solution, which will be more than enough for the cleaning of the paint surface right before application of the ceramic coating. It will not smell as good as does Eraser, but it will cost you only cents instead of dollars for the same amount of cleaning, and you will be not compelled to "cheap out" on the amount applied when removing stuff, which in turn might be important to get a really clean surface and to not mar the freshly polished surface with the wiping.

Also consider getting Reflect as the polishing compound, because it contains no fillers, which makes removal a lot simpler, in chemical terms, too. Make sure to work it long enough (as it's a diminishing compound), and you'll get an impressively reflective and glossy finish already on its own. Some might recommend Essence, which according to CarPro can be used as some kind of primer before ceramic coating and does not need to be fully removed before the application of the latter. But in my opinion it's mostly just for lazy people and has its own right only if you don't actually want to follow up with a full-blown ceramic coating, in which case it will save you the time and effort of applying a SiO2 wax or sealant in a separate step. But otherwise it will just diminish the quality and durability of the end result.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast