autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

A question of claying and working backwards?

Any of these synthetic clay mitts, towels, real clay bars ect marr the living heck out of your paint. Is this really worth doing when your car is in great shape. All it does is make your paint worse. Is this not working backwards?

I know it's very superficial and comes out easy but still. I've use the finest bars and sponges. They still cause a great deal of marring. Especially if u do it quick after the decon wash.

If your car is properly maintained is it really picking up enough contamination to justify doing this? Now you're polishing step is going to get you back to where you were instead of somewhere more refined.

Thoughts?

2. Likes Brandon Wetch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A question of claying and working backwards?

I find when I maintain my cars well, I get almost nothing off when I clay...so little that I wonder why I am bothering to do it. Now, last couple of years I've been pretty lax...I wouldn't be surprised if my clay results are different now...but I probably won't know that until spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Just depends on your vehicle and driving conditions. I sometimes find the lower rocker and fender well areas requiring a bit of claying or tar removal from time to time, the rest of my vehicle not so much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    Just depends on your vehicle and driving conditions. I sometimes find the lower rocker and fender well areas requiring a bit of claying or tar removal from time to time, the rest of my vehicle not so much.
    Call me crazy, but I find that all vehicles have the least amount of contaminants below the belt line and absolutely no contaminants ever on the wheels.

Just a couple of days ago, I was doing a waterless wash for a friend of mine in order for him to slap a car cover on the car before it rained. The paint was heavily contaminated on the horizontal panels from sitting outside [its in the process of being restored and is prepped for paintjob]
    Vertical panels you can feel a bit less contamination... But the moment you run your hand below the body line on the side of the car it’s absolutely smooth. This was a clear indication that contaminants mainly affected the top sides of vehicles, hence the term “fallout”.

I’ll stick to my guns. Lower portions of vehicles always have the least amount of contaminants and wheels have absolutely none. I challenge anyone to clay the face of their wheels after using a wheel cleaner and show contaminants on the claybar.

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever drive in places that use rock chip and tar, you'll see it much differently. I'm not saying my particular situation is the same as yours, and its mostly certainly dependent on many factor including your geographic location.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC78 View Post
    If you ever drive in places that use rock chip and tar, you'll see it much differently. I'm not saying my particular situation is the same as yours, and its mostly certainly dependent on many factor including your geographic location.
    I will find tar down there. But as far as baggie test failing grit, it’s always noticeably less IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Call me crazy, but I find that all vehicles have the least amount of contaminants below the belt line and absolutely no contaminants ever on the wheels.
    In my experience the most contaminated areas of most cars are a feet long area right behind the wheel wells/fenders under the belt line, the hood and the top/roof of the car. Horizontal surfaces generally get more contaminated than vertical ones (and that's because most of the surface below the belt line is usually not that much contaminated), because solved or floating particles settle easier on them, and also because any and all protection (and also the clear coat) gets degraded faster on horizontal surfaces. The reason for the latter being is that rain drops and the incident rays of the sunlight reach them in a sharper angle and in a larger amount, than the vertical surfaces.

Wheels do not get really contaminated, because their surfaces are vertically aligned, the fender and the tire (which extends over the actual rim) prevents most - if not all - of the stuff hitting them head-on. And also because they're essentially constantly spinning, which in turn means that anything that gets them on will most likely get slung off immediately or shortly by the centrifugal and centripetal forces (with the only exception being probably the surface of the wheel cap).

9. Likes MikeC78 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My NanoSkin used to marr a lot too but once I stopped using ONR as lube and started using Glide things got so much better. I should have followed manufacture’s recommendation and would have had a better time with it from the beginning.
    Bruno Soares

11. Likes mbkite, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by itsgn View Post
    Wheels do not get really contaminated, because their surfaces are vertically aligned, the fender and the tire (which extends over the actual rim) prevents most - if not all - of the stuff hitting them head-on. And also because they're essentially constantly spinning, which in turn means that anything that gets them on will most likely get slung off immediately or shortly by the centrifugal and centripetal forces (with the only exception being probably the surface of the wheel cap).
    Tell that to Mercedes and BMW owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Just a couple of days ago, I was doing a waterless wash for a friend of mine in order for him to slap a car cover on the car before it rained. The paint was heavily contaminated on the horizontal panels from sitting outside [its in the process of being restored and is prepped for paintjob]
    Vertical panels you can feel a bit less contamination... But the moment you run your hand below the body line on the side of the car it’s absolutely smooth. This was a clear indication that contaminants mainly affected the top sides of vehicles, hence the term “fallout”.

I’ll stick to my guns. Lower portions of vehicles always have the least amount of contaminants and wheels have absolutely none. I challenge anyone to clay the face of their wheels after using a wheel cleaner and show contaminants on the claybar.
    You ever drive a Caddy through a snow bank (end of the driveway), and then onto dirty salted roads?

I'm telling you, Eldo.... That crap does some serious clinging to the lower parts and wheels. It sucks.

Let's switch locations for the winter, Ric. It's was a balmy 17 degrees here this morning. LOL

That said, in warmer temps, I can totally see your point about horizontal vs. vertical. Just makes sense.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast