autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Did I screw up my touch-up paint job?

So yesterday, I did some paint chip touch-ups using Fords Motorcraft touch-up paint. What I did was I sanded the chip with the back of a pencil's eraser + 2000 grit, then layered on 3 coats of the base, and finished it with a layer of the included clear coat (to overflow the chip a bit).

However, I'm now second guessing my work as I almost feel I put too much base coat into the chip. I plan on wet sanding the area with 3000 grit once the paint has hardened (then compound + polish + wax). I'm worried that there is a possibility of the applied clear being removed completely when leveling, and the chip only being covered with the basecoat.

1. How would I be able to check if there is any clear left on the paint chip after wet sanding?

2. In the case of the chip not having clear coat left over, would it be an issue or is it fine to have just the base coat in the chip?

3. If not, how could I go about safely repairing this mistake?

Also aside, is there a recommended time to wait before wet sanding and/or waxing? I've heard a wide range of times, from hours to weeks, so I'd like some of your opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I screw up my touch-up paint job?

I don't think I have ever put clear over a chip repair. If you're unhappy with your repair, you can wipe it right out with lacquer thinner. Be very careful when you are sanding your "blobs" down that you don't thin out the clear adjacent to the repair. I usually use some masking tape around the blob to isolate it.

As far as how long before sanding, some of it depends on temp/humidity, but I think a few days is plenty.

3. Likes mdbenge liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did I screw up my touch-up paint job?

Sounds good. I plan on putting some green painters tape around the area so I only sand down the lump