autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idea for Felt Wheel Liners

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    Felt liners are probably ok on city cars...
    Nope.

I have them, and as someone who drives in the city all the time, they suck there too! I use the Tuff Shine brush to brush the felt liners (when dry) to get off the bulk of the stuff and then use the pressure washer to really clean them.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that water based dressing would not last long at all. Neverwet doesn't seems durable either. I was really interested when it came out then saw a very videos with it and it would protect the surface for only seconds on continuous water pressure on it. What you could try would be to use a silicon based dressing. There is a good chance those could last a while. But I don't know how effective it would be. An other thing you could try is a product designed to make outdoor equipment (tents, tarps, etc) waterproof. It's not expensive and it's designed to be durable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    My guess is that water based dressing would not last long at all. Neverwet doesn't seems durable either. I was really interested when it came out then saw a very videos with it and it would protect the surface for only seconds on continuous water pressure on it. What you could try would be to use a silicon based dressing. There is a good chance those could last a while. But I don't know how effective it would be. An other thing you could try is a product designed to make outdoor equipment (tents, tarps, etc) waterproof. It's not expensive and it's designed to be durable.
    Just want to make a point here about something that is consistently misunderstood.

A water-based product does not mean it can be removed with water and does not, in of its self, imply reduced longevity over an oil catalyst.

Added bonus: one of the major brands of the products you’re recommending to try, Nikwax TX.DirectIdea for Felt Wheel Liners Spray-On, is a water-based product. I’d hazard a guess most are unless they’re an actual wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Idea for Felt Wheel Liners-img_1536-jpg

You can coat with anything. I have used Ragg Top spray in the wheels but everything still sticks. This is the fabric in my 18 Silverado

Post Thanks / Like

Someone on another thread said they used 303 Fabric Protection on their wheel wells. I used it exclusively on my convertible tops and think it would work well. The best way to apply would be to pour some out into another container and paint it on with a brush. I did this with my convertible tops and it worked much better than the Raggtopp aerosol spray as you don’t worry about the overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used Armor All Tire Shine (not sure what the real name is) in the aerosol form mainly to make it look “clean.” I doubt if it’s doing any protecting or repelling. I think I got the idea from these forums a long time back. I was curious if someone has figured out a better way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    What's the intended purpose of the "fabric" liners?
    Correct, at least in GM's eyes.
    As engine compartments get smaller, passenger compartments are closer to the wheelhouses, so the noises made by small stones or gravel being tossed around in the wheelhouse by the tire tread grooves become more noticeable. The soft liners are just there to quiet things down. They are expensive, so GM has decided to eliminate the fabric liners in the rear of their trucks for 2019.

Bill

8. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    Correct, at least in GM's eyes.
    As engine compartments get smaller, passenger compartments are closer to the wheelhouses, so the noises made by small stones or gravel being tossed around in the wheelhouse by the tire tread grooves become more noticeable. The soft liners are just there to quiet things down. They are expensive, so GM has decided to eliminate the fabric liners in the rear of their trucks for 2019.

Bill
    I have a 2014 Altima and they are liners in the rear, but not the front. I guess Nissan and GM don't agree where the noise might come from.

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I have a 2014 Altima and they are liners in the rear, but not the front. I guess Nissan and GM don't agree where the noise might come from.
    On most trucks, you do not sit near the rear axle to experience the noise. The rear passengers on cars do. Our Ford fusion is felt lined in the rear also and not up front. Heck, Ford even has the whole front under belly lined too. Makes it a pain in the rear to change the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WristyManchego View Post
    Just want to make a point here about something that is consistently misunderstood.

A water-based product does not mean it can be removed with water and does not, in of its self, imply reduced longevity over an oil catalyst.

Added bonus: one of the major brands of the products you’re recommending to try, Nikwax TX.DirectIdea for Felt Wheel Liners Spray-On, is a water-based product. I’d hazard a guess most are unless they’re an actual wax.
    Water based dressing like CarPro Perl, Optimum Opti-bond and Meguiars Hyperdressing have a very short lifespan when exposed to the elements. On tires, you can expect them to fail within a week, where solvant or oil based products usually endure for much much longer. I do not know if it would be the same on a porous material like felt, but I don't see any reason it would be different.

As for waterproofing products, I have never tried any, so that is an idea off the top of my head. They might be amazing or they might be poor for this application. But since they are designed specifically for making fibers waterproof, I would expect them to outperform a product like a dressing that is mainly used to enhance the look of material it is a applied on. But, I might be wrong, it's just my hypothesis and it is not based on tests or any analysis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast