autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Essence and Wolfgang Coating

Quote Originally Posted by waterman View Post
    To late!!!!
    Lol. I’m having the same kind of fun at the moment with this new/used Caddy I bought a week ago... I’m taking my time knocking it out piece by piece, enjoying every bit of it.

Except the only tricks my mind was playing on me had to do with the mechanical side of things, specifically a random coolant leak... But I just had a new water pump installed yesterday so I feel much better to have that resolved now.Essence and Wolfgang Coating

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Essence and Wolfgang Coating

Hello,

Last night I finished the prep work on my Yukon Denali for the application of the Wolfgang coating. My last step was the car pro essence polish enhancer. The gloss on my truck is amazing!

My question is should I wait a certain amount of time before I do the coating? I have the Wolfgang paint prep, should I use this as a precaution? Also, will using the paint prep remove any fillers from the essence? If I didn’t have the coating I would leave my truck as it is because it looks so nice.

Thanks
    I emailed Cory from carpro a while back with a similar question. This was his reply. Please keep in mind we were discussing essence.

“1 hour or later. So basically by the time you finish the car you could start again in the spot and direction you started with Essence.”

This was another suggestion if his:

“If you work the Essence down far enough then you can coat directly over it but if you are not sure then you can give it a Light Eraser wipe before coating just to be safe. Also CQ might flash slower if used on top of essence so figure out proper flash time on the first section by testing wipe every 30 seconds until you get that it is ready and how it should feel.”

So my thoughts would be to go straight to the coating and skip the extra steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    My guess is that it would remove the Si02 fillers... Why wouldn’t it? If a coating can be removed with a simple hand application of finishing polish, how could those fillers survive a paint cleaner that does a pretty remarkable job of cleaning paint so well that in some cases it literally changes colors from the amount of embedded dirt that comes off.
    My guess is that the fillers are made or encapsulated by SiO2 and I believe the SiO2 in Essence would survive paint prep spray, therefore so will the fillers. This is just my opinion, I’ve never tested it. I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Thanks for the input. I sprayed a light coat on the panels and am going to coat the truck now

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Thanks for the input. I sprayed a light coat on the panels and am going to coat the truck now
    Hopefully you aren’t noticing un-filled swirls, hopefully the fillings stayed in tact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    My guess is that the fillers are made or encapsulated by SiO2 and I believe the SiO2 in Essence would survive paint prep spray, therefore so will the fillers. This is just my opinion, I’ve never tested it. I could be wrong.
    I miss read OP, I thought he was talking about using somekind of coating prep polish aka paint cleanser.. If it’s just a coating prep spray then that changes my thoughts almost completely.

7. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will have no issues with using a prep wipe after essence. You will just be removing the polishing oils that would be left behind by the polish. Per Corey in one video I saw, the longer Essence sits after initial wipe off then oils will "evaporate" off the surface and the SiO2 will cure. I've done it both ways in prep wiping after 24 hours and after 1 hour with no noticeable difference in performance of the coating used on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I have started and am taking a break. Before I used the essence I went over the truck with McKees fast polish so most of the swirls were taken out. Yes, I used Wolfgang paint prep spray. I really don’t know if I uncovered any swirls but from what I can tell with the swirl light nothing changed

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I have started and am taking a break. Before I used the essence I went over the truck with McKees fast polish so most of the swirls were taken out. Yes, I used Wolfgang paint prep spray. I really don’t know if I uncovered any swirls but from what I can tell with the swirl light nothing changed
    Awesome, and enjoy the experience and results!

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t know if I uncovered any swirls but from what I can tell with the swirl light nothing changed
    And you shouldn't notice any swirls as Essence has abrasives in it so it will remove some if not all depending on the paints hardness. It's filling capabilities are often exaggerated so don't worry too much about them.

One thing I forgot to mention that is you are using Essence by hand then a prep wipe is indeed recommended. As always refer to the CarPro site for the FAQ's of the product when in doubt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast