autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

D101 stripping door panels

I’ve been using d101 for almost 2 years now and almost to the end of a gallon jug. I mix about 4-6oz in 32oz spray bottle. I’ve never had an issue with it. I did my truck the other day a 16 Silverado and I spray on towel and wipe doors it was taking the black off the doors. Thought whatever it’s my truck and mixed a new bottle. I do a Camry this morning and my towel turns blue from the door panel.

Anyone had this happen wirh d101? Bad batch? Nothing has changed and idk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D101 stripping door panels

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityAutoSpa View Post
    I’ve been using d101 for almost 2 years now and almost to the end of a gallon jug. I mix about 4-6oz in 32oz spray bottle. I’ve never had an issue with it. I did my truck the other day a 16 Silverado and I spray on towel and wipe doors it was taking the black off the doors. Thought whatever it’s my truck and mixed a new bottle. I do a Camry this morning and my towel turns blue from the door panel.

Anyone had this happen wirh d101? Bad batch? Nothing has changed and idk
    A few questions to start. What materials are the door panels that your wiping. Do you use tap water or distilled? Are you adding less water than normal?

Post Thanks / Like

the only time I have had that kind of a problem is if someone painted the door panels but being a 2016 and your truck I doubt it,,unless you bought it used and this is your first cleaning of it.
    I do at least 15 Silverados a month and have never had this issue except for the above mentioned.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

At that dilution, you're anywhere from 7:1 to 4:1.....a fairly strong dilution for general cleaning. I use D101, but only above 10:1 for really dirty things like wheel wells. I have seen others have this issue, which is why I switched to McKees Fast Interior Detailer for easy clean ups, and Griots Interior Cleaner for the tougher ones...never had a problem with either.

Post Thanks / Like

1. D101 Gallon states 4:1-10:1. With a 32oz bottle at 6.4oz is 4:1 and 2.9 10:1. I like to be in between the two and use 7:1 almost every time which is 4oz. The 6oz bottles are clearly darker and I only use those for wheel wells and pre wheel soak. Interior I use 7:1.

2. Water being used is from kitchen sink in house into a old 1 gal water jug then taken to garage for mix. I do empty my water bottles if I don’t drink all of it. So 30% of the gallon is bottled water.

3. My truck a 16 Silverado the door panels are like black rubber. You can clearly notice the black gone and it’s more grey now. I don’t really care about this as the truck and gm in general is #### quality and I can’t sfand it. Hahah.

Idk I’ve never had this problem. I did 2 more cars that afternoon and didn’t get anything from them. The Camry was my first time doing it but it left the tops of the doors by the windows gummy like a sticky Lexus dash.

Post Thanks / Like

1. D101 Gallon states 4:1-10:1. With a 32oz bottle at 6.4oz is 4:1 and 2.9 10:1. I like to be in between the two and use 7:1 almost every time which is 4oz. The 6oz bottles are clearly darker and I only use those for wheel wells and pre wheel soak. Interior I use 7:1.

2. Water being used is from kitchen sink in house into a old 1 gal water jug then taken to garage for mix. I do empty my water bottles if I don’t drink all of it. So 30% of the gallon is bottled water.

3. My truck a 16 Silverado the door panels are like black rubber. You can clearly notice the black gone and it’s more grey now. I don’t really care about this as the truck and gm in general is #### quality and I can’t sfand it. Hahah.

Idk I’ve never had this problem. I did 2 more cars that afternoon and didn’t get anything from them. The Camry was my first time doing it but it left the tops of the doors by the windows gummy like a sticky Lexus dash.
    As others stated, it could be a dilution issue, though ive used D101 at 4:1 without issue. The only thing i can think of is an issue with the water but im not exactly sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using d101 for almost 2 years now and almost to the end of a gallon jug.

Nothing has changed and idk
    Have you been shaking up the gallon before you pour out more concentrate? The only thing I can think of, unless you just hit the lottery with two cars in a row having color come off, is that the product settled some and if you haven't been shaking it you've been concentrating some ingredient at the bottom of the jug.

I think about this sometimes when diluting concentrates, ones that look like they don't need to be mixed up--"should I be shaking this up anyway?". I actually just did it the other day when mixing up some Meg's glass cleaner.

PS I had a sample of D101 but after I used it up I switched to Optimum Power Clean, you can use that at 10:1 for interiors, but I also do (similar to) what Briarpatch suggests and use QID for light cleaning, I realize that's not a good solution for a pro if you have to go over something twice because the first pass didn't clean it.