autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Really Need Help With Urine Smell In Seat. Trying Hard To Help This Person Out.

So I have this car that has been in contact with urine a few times in the driver seat. The person has a medical issue. I am trying like hell to help and I am not sure that anything I have done has helped yet. So far I have have done this:

1) Sprayed the dry seat and carpet with Natures Miracle (enzyme) and let that sit for about 3 hours and then as I cleaned the rest of the car.
    2) Used my steamer to heat up the cushion several times over. Hoping to kill bacteria and bring everything to the surface.
    3) used my extractor on the seat about 5 times. Alternating with heat from steam first before extracting.
    4) Last night at about this time I Soaked the seat and carpet with Natures Miracle and left it to dry... which is still drying now.
    5) I added two air movers tonight and I pointed them directly at the carpet and the other one directly on the seat. To help with drying and to hopefully air it out.

I plan to use the ozone machine on it ... but I dont think it is going to help much as I believe there is still quite a bit in the cushion as I can still smell it.

I feel like I have thrown a lot at this and yet I don't think it's any better. Maybe it will be after it dries?? I don't know.

Has anyone ran into this before and if so anyone have any ideas on what to do to resole this?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Need Help With Urine Smell In Seat. Trying Hard To Help This Person Out.

It appears its deep into the foam cushion. Doesn't sound like an enzyme or ozone machine can reach that deep down.

Replace or reupholster the seat.

3. Likes RMarkJr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really Need Help With Urine Smell In Seat. Trying Hard To Help This Person Out.

That's what I was thinking .. I did tell her that the extractor will not pull from that deep and that there is no promise that I can get it .. but I was hoping to at least improve it. However I did soak the hell out of that with the enzyme stuff. I thought for sure that would help ... but it doesn't seem to be yet. I feel like something is hitting it as it has gotten a little worse I think due to it being wet.

Maybe natures miracle isn't the best stuff to use for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    That's what I was thinking .. I did tell her that the extractor will not pull from that deep and that there is no promise that I can get it .. but I was hoping to at least improve it. However I did soak the hell out of that with the enzyme stuff. I thought for sure that would help ... but it doesn't seem to be yet. I feel like something is hitting it as it has gotten a little worse I think due to it being wet.

Maybe natures miracle isn't the best stuff to use for this?
    Don't know what it is, but you need an enzyme to kill the bacteria. Check with a janitorial supply or hospital supply store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Don't know what it is, but you need an enzyme to kill the bacteria. Check with a janitorial supply or hospital supply store.
    Thanks I will have to call around tomorrow and see if there is anything better than the enzyme in Nature's Miracle. Got to be something.

Post Thanks / Like

HD sells Simple Green D One-Step Germicidal Cleaner & Deodorant. Not sure it will remove all of the smell, but I've used it on some nasty things and have had great results.
    It may vause some discoloration.
    It's about $13 for a gallon.

You could also try leaving a dry substance on the seat to absorb moisture such as, naking soda, or salt.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

8. Thanks RMarkJr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought but is it possible to remove the seat and see if there is a way to attack it from the bottom of the cushion or the chair. Maybe it went all the way through and is in some underside lining?

Quote Originally Posted by RMarkJr View Post
    So I have this car that has been in contact with urine a few times in the driver seat. The person has a medical issue. I am trying like hell to help and I am not sure that anything I have done has helped yet. So far I have have done this:

1) Sprayed the dry seat and carpet with Natures Miracle (enzyme) and let that sit for about 3 hours and then as I cleaned the rest of the car.
    2) Used my steamer to heat up the cushion several times over. Hoping to kill bacteria and bring everything to the surface.
    3) used my extractor on the seat about 5 times. Alternating with heat from steam first before extracting.
    4) Last night at about this time I Soaked the seat and carpet with Natures Miracle and left it to dry... which is still drying now.
    5) I added two air movers tonight and I pointed them directly at the carpet and the other one directly on the seat. To help with drying and to hopefully air it out.

I plan to use the ozone machine on it ... but I dont think it is going to help much as I believe there is still quite a bit in the cushion as I can still smell it.

I feel like I have thrown a lot at this and yet I don't think it's any better. Maybe it will be after it dries?? I don't know.

Has anyone ran into this before and if so anyone have any ideas on what to do to resole this?

Thank you!

10. Thanks RMarkJr thanked for this post
    Likes RMarkJr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get the smell out or the customer decides on cushion and cover replacement I suggest a neoprene seat cover to prevent it from happening again.
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

12. Thanks RMarkJr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    HD sells Simple Green D One-Step Germicidal Cleaner & Deodorant. Not sure it will remove all of the smell, but I've used it on some nasty things and have had great results.
    It may vause some discoloration.
    It's about $13 for a gallon.

You could also try leaving a dry substance on the seat to absorb moisture such as, naking soda, or salt.
    Thanks I will have to look into getting some and trying it out. I don't think this Natures Miracle stuff is real strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irvsmith View Post
    Just a thought but is it possible to remove the seat and see if there is a way to attack it from the bottom of the cushion or the chair. Maybe it went all the way through and is in some underside lining?
    I like the way you think! I have already decided not to give up and I did take the seat out (my first seat removal) and flipped it upside down. It did go all the way through and smelled pretty bad still. I soaked the seat all the way through with water and vinegar this time. I let it sit for a bit and then sat it right side up. Got it even wetter to try and flush it a little bit.

I did use a special flat rectangle attachment for the shop vac that pulls water deeper than just the hose or extractor will do .. So I did that a lot and I got two air movers on it right now.

Soaked the carpet as well and used that attachment to suck it out as much as possible. Got an air mover on that too.

So I am just waiting for it all to dry now and see how it goes. HAS to be a little better after this if nothing else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast