autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How best to wash and protect for a lazy guy with no garage?

Another vote here for rinseless washing. It is by far the fastest way to wash your car.

The DG Rinseless wash is my favorite (and I've tried many others). The level of gloss and slickness it leaves behind is like no other. Mix yourself up a QD batch from the DG concentrate for inbetween washes to continually replenish the Aquawax layer. If you do this on a weekly basis you may never have to wax conventionally again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFunnyman View Post
    How is the gloss with those?
    Better than any wash and wax soap. Some have claimed up to 3 months of beading.

Post Thanks / Like

Waterless washing is the quickest for me and also leaves behind a solid level of protection. I usually use either Meguiars UWWA or Blackfire waterless on my car. My car is sealed and has solid protection so I'm not sure about longevity with the Blackfire, but the Meguiars is excellent for what it is.

My wife's car is a lease and rarely washed. I had to compound out some scratches back in July, so I washed it with the Meguiars UWWA prior to the correction. The car was still beading fairly effectively the other day when it rained. The only time that car was waxed was over 2 years ago with Ultimate liquid wax, so I doubt it has any of that protection left.

With my car, I can wash it safely and effectively in 15 minutes, maybe 25 with doing wheels/tires and wheel wells.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now I'm conflicted on using either the duragloss rinseless with aquawax or using Hydro Blue every few months with a normal 2 bucket wash.. I've never done a rinseless and definitely have some reservations since my car sometimes gets a bit dirty between washes. I know the rinseless will be quicker than a 2 bucket, but the Hyrdo Blue will protect better than the DG w/ AW. Then again, I'm not sure that would be saving be any time, since I'd most likely be using spray wax or QD as a drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there's a lot of good solutions. You've just got to decide which is best for you, or try both ways and see which works best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Until my garage is clear ... I just snow foam it , power rinse, then rinse with filtered water.
    Then I wool mitt wash 2 panels, clay and rewash and then blow dry those panels and follow by 3 coats of Collinite 476s on the 2 selected panels.

Took 9 day on a Mercedes S Class Coupe.

Then I powerwashed and washed with a wool mitt, then Blow dry with a garden leaf blower, and did one coat of Collinite the same day.

This was a real mare of a job, that could have been done in a garage in 2 days easily! But needs must before the winter sets in.

She is now easy to maintain, as the Collinite pretty much repels everything, and she blow drys real fast, and the last coat of collinite goes on and off really fast.

pic of the Raceglaze 0PPM water filter, costs £100. Resin refils are £40 for say 36 washes. No alternative if you have limescale water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How best to wash and protect for a lazy guy with no garage?-67f5c293-bb0c-47c7-81e2-aad739269fdd-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to continue with bucket washing, I’d suggest you go with something like this:

Use it after every wash [don’t have to overthink about whether it’s once per month like some other products]

Once you’ve rinsed away the soap, simply spray 1-2 shots per panel and quickly rinse again for the fastest way to get what you’re looking for.How best to wash and protect for a lazy guy with no garage?

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFunnyman View Post
    How is the gloss with those?
    Gloss with McKees is good. Do not use it in direct sunlight. Blast it with water IMMEDIATELY or you will get massive streaking even after it dries.

If gloss is what you're looking for, I highly recommend a rinseless wash like Wolfgang Uber or Optimum No Rinse followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. You will get a nice crisp reflection from the paint. Should take 10-15 minutes to do the Fast Finish.
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    1999 Camaro Z28

Post Thanks / Like

Lazy guy with no garage here. Here's my go-to for weekly washes.

Single bucket rinseless wash
    - Pinnacle rinseless
    - Lots of small microfibers in the bucket
    - Fold a wet microfiber into quarters, wipe over a panel, dry with separate large microfiber

Wheels
    - Once paint is clean, spray with generic wheel & tire cleaner
    - Gently clean wheels with barrel brush and tire brush using left-over rinseless water to help agitate and lubricate the brushes
    - Dry wheels and tires with old mircofiber
    - Top with wheel dressing

Clean interior with quick vacuum, vinyl cleaner, and hit the glass with Stoners. If I have more time I top the exterior off with spray wax.

That covers me for 90% of my washes.

Today I did a full fall detail with wash, clay, klasse aio, and Collonite 476. All out in the sun, so I'm a bit cooked, but it can be done without a garage.

How best to wash and protect for a lazy guy with no garage?-k2-jpg
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

11. Likes Maxreed241 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or, you could wash as you currently do (personally, I don't feel my car is clean unless I spray it with at least, a hose, and hit it with a mitt & soap), and lay down a layer of sealant, or wax 1/4 of the car per wash.
    I like sealant and waxes. I've come to think they protect better at bird poop etching than a thin spray wax, or thin spray sealant.
    Once, it's sealed, or waxed. It should dry quicker.
    If you do go the rinseless method, Optimum makes a spray sealant that also avts to dey the car quicker as you use it. For get what it's called though.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast