autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Black R35 GT-R with Nissan "Scratchshield" paint.. is Rupes UHS system recommended?

OK, after 3 years I'm finally prepping for a paint-correction-weekend.

So my primary interest is preservation of clearcoat. I want to conserve as much of it as possible (does anyone by chance know how thick factory GTR paint is?).

I'm not concerned with deep defect removal, I just want to "clean up the paint", remove some minor marring/swirls, and put a decent gloss on the car before applying my coating (Gtechniq CSL+EVO).

The factory self healing clearcoat is super soft, and marrs very easily.

Would the Rupes UHS system work? I'm concerned that it might be too agressive and remove too much clear coat. I'm debating between either using the UHS fluid+pads, OR the Rupes Yellow pads + Sonax Nano polish, and follow up with Rupes White + Menzerna SF4000.

thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black R35 GT-R with Nissan "Scratchshield" paint.. is Rupes UHS system recommended?

The “Scratchshield” paint is super soft and marrs easily? Man that’s what you call dropping the ball, especially on what’s supposed to be a special car. Great job Nissan.

Wish I could help, but I have no experience with those cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black R35 GT-R with Nissan "Scratchshield" paint.. is Rupes UHS system recommended?

Read this article. Not saying that they are all like this but that paint can be a pain for some.

Black 2014 Nissan GT-R - Correction on "Scratch Shield"
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

4. Likes SWETM, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post
    Read this article. Not saying that they are all like this but that paint can be a pain for some.

Black 2014 Nissan GT-R - Correction on "Scratch Shield"
    Wow! I read through the linked thread. And what a work and write up and thinking out of the box.

To the OP. Seems like you have a lot of work and dial in a combo and technique that works for you. The first thought I got where to polish with a primer polish. Then the csl+EVO combo has had trouble with the longevity on Carpro Essence. So that I would not take the risk with. Carpro abrasives breaks down very fast so you don't need to do a lot of passes per sections to finishing with it. So maybe Carpro Reflect can be an option to use. If useing the method from the linked thread above. You may go with M205 and the spritz of ice cold DI water. Wondering if the Griots Garage Perfecting Cream is water based and also 3D Polish+. Those would work also with the spritz of ice cold DI water if they are water based. And wondering also if you where to store the polish in the refrigorator would be a benefit.

Hope you get it sorted out.

/Tony