autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Nagging question on glazes and swirls

This has been bothering me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find the answer to it! As we all know, pure polishes/glazes like M7 and some waxes like NXT 2.0 have the ability to hide minor swirls/hazing. My question is how come they can do this, but they can't seem to fill the bigger scratches. I mean it would make sense if they could fill the bigger ones, but not the smaller, but the other way around just baffles me!

I mean what is standing in the way of a company developing a product that can hide all surface scratches that haven't penetrated the clear coat.

No real reason behind this outside of this has been driving me crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nagging question on glazes and swirls

Maybe an illustration will help... think about painting a piece of wood. If you apply the paint thickly enough, with enough coats, the woods texture can be completely covered so that all the minor differences in the surface are made invisible. But, If a large chunk of wood is missing, you'd need to use putty or some other type of material to fill in this large gap, the paint alone would not be enough. Same thing with the fillers in a wax or polish, if they were substanstantial enough to fill in larger, deeper gashes, they wouldn't be suitable for covering the entifer suface with. The microscopic fillers used will fall into crevices and remain only if they are small enough to "catch" them. Like wiping mud off a a suface, if there is a 3 inch gap the mud will wipe right out, but if it's small gaps, like a textured surface, the mud is more likely to stay. Hope that helps you rest easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I understand that whole part, but the part that bothers me is that no one has created the 'bondo' type of product to actually fill in the scratches that are repairable (as in they have not gone through the clear coat). I mean I am certain the demand for such a product is universal and that if there was such a product, anyone who would even wax their car would have such a product in their garage, so obviously there is a demand, but why hasn't anyone produced it? I mean with all the technology there is right now, certainly there is a reason why such a product doesn't exist, and I am curious as to what that reason is.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard a product called X-Kote? It's pretty popular in Canada. It is a system that sprays something onto the paint, like an additional layer of clear coat. It's a special product that is supposed to fill in all defects and leave the paint smooth while making the clear coat last longer because of the X-Coat on top of it. I've never seen or used it but I believe that's how it's done. I have no clue how long it'll last or what it will look like in 2 years. I'm not sure if that is what your talking about though.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Wolf-Strong;170459]This has been bothering me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find the answer to it! As we all know, pure polishes/glazes like M7 and some waxes like NXT 2.0 have the ability to hide minor swirls/hazing. My question is how come they can do this, but they can't seem to fill the bigger scratches. I mean it would make sense if they could fill the bigger ones, but not the smaller, but the other way around just baffles me!

I mean what is standing in the way of a company developing a product that can hide all surface scratches that haven't penetrated the clear coat.

It's been made mate, it's just that the majority of people who have given bad reviews of it on many forums didn't use it right or did not use the entire system of polishes and thus results washed out or the shine didn't last

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Mr Dream Machines;170593]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong View Post
    This has been bothering me for weeks now, and I can't seem to find the answer to it! As we all know, pure polishes/glazes like M7 and some waxes like NXT 2.0 have the ability to hide minor swirls/hazing. My question is how come they can do this, but they can't seem to fill the bigger scratches. I mean it would make sense if they could fill the bigger ones, but not the smaller, but the other way around just baffles me!

It's been made mate, it's just that the majority of people who have given bad reviews of it on many forums didn't use it right or did not use the entire system of polishes and thus results washed out or the shine didn't last
    Could you PM me some details?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, just thought I would throw this into the equation as well since someone mentioned X-Kote. Did a little research into the X-kote matter, and from what I gather, there almost no way for you to actually buy the stuff, rather you have to go to a distributor and have them apply it for you...for a premium of course. It isn't even sold on ebay right now!

Anyways, that reminded me of another product which seemed very similar called Presto by Protect Polymer. Anyone have any insight on this?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=Wolf-Strong;170621]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dream Machines View Post

Could you PM me some details?

Why PM you the details? You have me curious now and I want to know too.
    98 Z/28

Post Thanks / Like

[quote=lethalxls1;170628]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Strong View Post

Why PM you the details? You have me curious now and I want to know too.
    Ahah! Yeah please pass on some info to us for those that have some!

Post Thanks / Like

there are pics of xcote on autopia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast