autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck

I have a client looking to have his semi truck fully detailed. He said he uses a hot water pressure washer when he washes it. I never used a hot water pressure washer and would like to know if a regular pressure washer would work with the right chemicals. Also I feel my everyday chemicals I use now aren't strong enough to perform this detail. Any advise on chemicals, degreasers, sealants, wax and how to price the detail would be greatly appreciated. The semi will get a full detail in and out from foam cannon, clay bar polish chrome to wax. My goto products are Meguires detailer professional along with Pinnacle, Mckees37 waxes and Colilnite 845. I am willing top purchase whatever I need to get this detail done right. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck

I've worked on a few trucks and the hot water really helps breaking down the grease that tends to accumulate all over the rigs. I've always used the same products as I would a normal vehicle. I would think based on the brands you use you will be just fine.
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

3D Super Duty Degreaser

3D Orange 88 Citrus Degreaser 128 oz.

Here are some degreasers that would work great I think. The orange 88 degreaser I would test to foam with the foamcannon. Either 1:1 dilution or concentrate and then use the chemical mix setting to get a mix that works. Even if it's not a foam product you will get it to foam some. The benefit is a longer dwell time and it clings a little longer to get the chemicals work more effectively. Then work in small sections to begin with. So you dial in how much you are able to aggitate with brushes to the most dirty areas. Then PW it off and use the water pressure from the PW to clean with. And follow up with a car soap to wash the last off.

See if you can do a test spot where you are getting a feel how hard the paint is. Some can be very hard on semi-trucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some similar threads with some good info.

SEMI transport truck pointers

First semi truck detail HELP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I’d recommend a large step stool/platform and a lot of cotton towels for chrome/aluminum polish removal. Bring some food, lots of drinking water and some music to help you along. A lot of surface area on tractors. If he keeps it halfway maintained you don’t need to get too carried away with strong APC’s or degreasers. Don’t want to etch any polished metal which can turn that job into a nightmare real quick.
    A thorough pressure washing will do wonders. I’d also recommend using an AIO type polish since it doesn’t need to removed after every section. Good luck. Post some pictures when you can.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice, I was just talking to the owner and he advised me he washes the Semi with the Hot Water pressure washer and Convoy Truck Wash every week. Now I have to find out what wax or sealant will work best to keep truck shining while he is Hot pressure washing the Semi weekly with this Chemical. I was originally thinking Collite 845 but now I don' know, I may need something more durable. He wants the shine to last at least 2-3 months, any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteShineDetail View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I was just talking to the owner and he advised me he washes the Semi with the Hot Water pressure washer and Convoy Truck Wash every week. Now I have to find out what wax or sealant will work best to keep truck shining while he is Hot pressure washing the Semi weekly with this Chemical. I was originally thinking Collite 845 but now I don' know, I may need something more durable. He wants the shine to last at least 2-3 months, any ideas?
    How much shine are you trying to getLooking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck? Scale 1- 10 with the 10 being blinding him what's your goals and I can tell you what to useLooking for advice on detailing a Semi TruckLooking for advice on detailing a Semi TruckLooking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post
    How much shine are you trying to getLooking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck? Scale 1- 10 with the 10 being blinding him what's your goals and I can tell you what to useLooking for advice on detailing a Semi TruckLooking for advice on detailing a Semi TruckLooking for advice on detailing a Semi Truck

I am looking to get a shime about a 6 to last 2-3 months and the truck is driven every day. It is washed once a week pretty hard.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post

I was trying to get to about a 7 to last for about 2-3 months. He cleans his truck once a week with a hot water pressure washer and the convoy Truck Wash so I feel that will shorten its life drastically. I was thinking Collite 845 for the wax i have had some great results before but not with all those heavy washes. hanks for your help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Im looking to get to about a 7 shine and last 2 months. The worry I have is the Hot Pressure washer and the Convoy degreaser he uses on his weekly cleaning taking the wax off quicker than 2 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast