autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Last night I went to the supermarket. Those damn lights! Exposing all the flaws in my paint LOL. I did a wash yesterday afternoon. Thought it looked flawless until the lighting in the parking lot hit it.

2. Likes dgage, vaca22, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    I think I have my rinseless technique down now. Excluding wheel work, I was able to pre-rinse, wash, and dry the car in about 20 minutes. It has taken me at least a dozen or so attempts to nail this process down, but it's cake. And I like it.
    I'm still too scared to even try. I think I'll plan to just keep hitting the warm days we get throughout winter. I'll fight the sun in December but I'm scared of rinseless. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    Last night I went to the supermarket. Those damn lights! Exposing all the flaws in my paint LOL. I did a wash yesterday afternoon. Thought it looked flawless until the lighting in the parking lot hit it.
    This is when I use the wife's white car. I've already settled on the fact that it's not perfect but because it's white and so hard to see anything, it is what it is... those lights are the worst (but best).

5. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post
    I'm still too scared to even try. I think I'll plan to just keep hitting the warm days we get throughout winter. I'll fight the sun in December but I'm scared of rinseless. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I know exactly how you feel. Maybe my experience will encourage you to give it a shot!

For virtually all of last year, I either gave my car a full wash or did a waterless wash. I was careful with my waterless wash technique, but sometimes I just wanted to be done with it, and I felt like I may have been hacking up the paint. As you may or may not know, the chance for marring is greater (I believe) using a waterless method.

I know what my hood looked like after polishing it.

I know I used an Auto Zone MF sponge for contact washes (not the best). I know I did a LOT of contact washes.

I know I went through at least 2 bottles of Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash last year. All of this was before trying rinseless washing.

I've done 4 traditional soap and water washes this year. I've done at least 20 rinseless washes. So far as I can tell, I've seen no discernable difference in the condition of my paint since that first polish, and that to me is VERY surprising.

When I first started rinseless washing, I was extremely meticulous; I would presoak one panel, carefully wash it, then dry it. Then I would move onto the next panel.

By the time I was done, it took me just as long to do a rinseless as it did with soap and water. So what's the point?

As I started to notice that whatever I was doing seemed to be safe, I started getting a little bolder. I got the incredible idea (LOL!) to presoak the whole car, then wash it, then dry it. I haven't noticed any ill effects in doing this. So I'm a believer now.

A few thoughts...

1 - I use only distilled water for both the presoak and wash.
    2 - I believe rinseless works best on a polished and protected surface.
    3 - I never clean more than one panel without dunking it in the solution.
    4 - I use a light touch when drying with my towel.

If I were you, try it on just one panel and see what you think. Preasoak, or don't. Wring the sponge out to "just dripping" or keep it soaked. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try.

Side note - I don't know enough math to figure out how much water I saved this year by going rinseless. It has to be HUNDREDS of gallons. I start with 3 gallons in my bucket and use the same water until it falls below the level of the sponge. I usually get 3-4 washes before I change the water.

7. Thanks Uncbrs thanked for this post
    Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    I know exactly how you feel. Maybe my experience will encourage you to give it a shot!

For virtually all of last year, I either gave my car a full wash or did a waterless wash. I was careful with my waterless wash technique, but sometimes I just wanted to be done with it, and I felt like I may have been hacking up the paint. As you may or may not know, the chance for marring is greater (I believe) using a waterless method.

I know what my hood looked like after polishing it.

I know I used an Auto Zone MF sponge for contact washes (not the best). I know I did a LOT of contact washes.

I know I went through at least 2 bottles of Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash last year. All of this was before trying rinseless washing.

I've done 4 traditional soap and water washes this year. I've done at least 20 rinseless washes. So far as I can tell, I've seen no discernable difference in the condition of my paint since that first polish, and that to me is VERY surprising.

When I first started rinseless washing, I was extremely meticulous; I would presoak one panel, carefully wash it, then dry it. Then I would move onto the next panel.

By the time I was done, it took me just as long to do a rinseless as it did with soap and water. So what's the point?

As I started to notice that whatever I was doing seemed to be safe, I started getting a little bolder. I got the incredible idea (LOL!) to presoak the whole car, then wash it, then dry it. I haven't noticed any ill effects in doing this. So I'm a believer now.

A few thoughts...

1 - I use only distilled water for both the presoak and wash.
    2 - I believe rinseless works best on a polished and protected surface.
    3 - I never clean more than one panel without dunking it in the solution.
    4 - I use a light touch when drying with my towel.

If I were you, try it on just one panel and see what you think. Preasoak, or don't. Wring the sponge out to "just dripping" or keep it soaked. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give it a try.

Side note - I don't know enough math to figure out how much water I saved this year by going rinseless. It has to be HUNDREDS of gallons. I start with 3 gallons in my bucket and use the same water until it falls below the level of the sponge. I usually get 3-4 washes before I change the water.
    Appreciate the encouragement. Sounds like you have been meticulous in adjusting your process and adventuring to new methods. I have to admit I go all in or nothing...it is certainly overboard but I am convinced each time I see a new hairline scratch or imperfection, it is because I did not do my last wash with 110% effort or wiped a small haze an hour after washing vs immediately after the wash. I'll have to get over that fear but I could certainly see myself doing rinseless before waterless.

I think that I often forget that I drive on highways or through weather that causes more issues than a less than perfect red carpet wash process. I fault this forum for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Special shout out to Chris Metcalf who stopped by to help rebuild one of my Flex Polishers and save me so much time. He also brought over a nice upgrade I couldn't resist. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Essentially a Mercedes AMG of Vacuums. A Flex VCE 44AC

VCE 44 L AC HEPA - 12 Gallon HEPA Vacuum by FLEX

A Hepa certified vacuum. The nearly silent yet 2x as powerful as any other vacuum system. So powerful it actually has a switch to turn the power down What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Paired with my Tornador Velocity Vac attachment it can pull dirt from the garage floor under the car while vacuuming inside What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Thanks so much Chris! Thanks too for the limited edition shirt!

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

ONR 16:1 ratio. I sprayed it on heavily to really wet the surface. No streaking at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncbrs View Post

I think that I often forget that I drive on highways or through weather that causes more issues than a less than perfect red carpet wash process. I fault this forum for that.
    Yeah that's a great point, before I started working from home I was tacking on at least 50 miles a day. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the fact that daily driving takes its toll!

13. Likes Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gave Mum's Qashqai an ONR wash, it was parked in some very light rain yesterday, there were little dust spots on the upper surfaces. Wiped the wheels and tyres over with ONR as well, because she managed to find the gutter again, exactly why I put slightly wider tyres on this time, then put some Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing on them.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

15. Likes DFB, CleanIT, dgage, Uncbrs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Dusted off for the local Corvette Club's member party. Sadly I’m only on my second tank of gas this year. I’ve owned it for 31 years. Attachment 75485
    Congrats on owning it for so longWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 895 of 1214 FirstFirst ... 395795845885886887888889890891892893894895896897898899900901902903904905945995 ... LastLast