autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    In Australia, you are either a Ford man or a Holden man. (Unless you are one of those guys on the outer who is into Valiants. )

Those brand sentiments are are fading now that both brands have shuttered their local factories. That said, as a Ford man, having a Holden in my garage for the first time was a somewhat awkward moment!

This Holden Cruze needed some attention to get it looking good again.

The brake pedal feel on this car was excellent on the drive back to the garage. On inspection of the wheels, it was pretty clear why. The brake pads Holden chose for the Cruze are of the dusty kind, and while the faces looked ok, the barrels were sludged up with thick black dust.

Despite plenty of rinsing of my brushes with the pressure washer, this was the sludge at the bottom of my wheel bucket.

As always, it's the interior that soaks up the time. This car wasn't too bad but the cheap carpet again rears it's ugly head.

A combination of APC, Megs Quick Interior Detailer and Bowdens Leather love returned the interior to it's best. I like the combination of leather and suede trimmed seats.

Still not sure how I feel about this image.....

Completed and ready for return.

I was a Holden man, was being the key word. Their final products were rubbish. I had 7 over the years, I'll have to dig up some of my old pictures and put them up. Japanese reliability also changed my loyalties. I had a 99 Pathfinder, and now the FJ. The reliability on both is so much better.

Also, I think you got a mention on the Car Guys Report podcast, the one released on Feb 3 mentioned a detailing guy in Australia who has a Mustang, a Jag, and Falcons. Can't be too many people who fit that profile.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I was a Holden man, was being the key word. Their final products were rubbish. I had 7 over the years, I'll have to dig up some of my old pictures and put them up. Japanese reliability also changed my loyalties. I had a 99 Pathfinder, and now the FJ. The reliability on both is so much better.

Also, I think you got a mention on the Car Guys Report podcast, the one released on Feb 3 mentioned a detailing guy in Australia who has a Mustang, a Jag, and Falcons. Can't be too many people who fit that profile.

The final chapter in Holden's history is a pretty sad story. I would happily park a 2001-6 Monaro (GTO) in my garage though.

And yes, Klasse Act tipped me off a week ago about the mention on the Car Guys Report, it made my day! Smaller world than we think.

In fact, I reached out to the host via email to say hello and thank him for the shout out. Nice fellow and a genuine "car guy".

3. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    The final chapter in Holden's history is a pretty sad story. I would happily park a 2001-6 Monaro (GTO) in my garage though.

And yes, Klasse Act tipped me off a week ago about the mention on the Car Guys Report, it made my day! Smaller world than we think.

In fact, I reached out to the host via email to say hello and thank him for the shout out. Nice fellow and a genuine "car guy".
    I love those Monaros, I remember seeing my first one at the Sydney motor show. They'll probably only go up in price now, all the good ones will be locked away.

5. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    I love those Monaros, I remember seeing my first one at the Sydney motor show. They'll probably only go up in price now, all the good ones will be locked away.

The beauty of that Monaro was in it's subtly, especially before they restyled it for the US tastes. Just smooth, clean surfaces without the exaggeration and fake vents so prevalent in current design trends.

7. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    What do you think for prep? Clean, degrease, scuff sand, wipe with acetone, tape off, and spray? I ask since you’re a paint expert. Thanks...

Well I don't know if I'm an expert, but yes, I've done a little painting in my time.

Your process sounds good although you could likely skip the scuff sanding. I'm sure they already have a fairly rough texture surface finish in there which will help with adhesion. Mine were rough cast on the inside. And we're not talking about a critical application here - it is an exhaust tip. I'd simply say clean as best you can and then paint. You could even apply the paint with a brush. It's just not that critical.

9. Thanks dgage thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Well I don't know if I'm an expert, but yes, I've done a little painting in my time.

Your process sounds good although you could likely skip the scuff sanding. I'm sure they already have a fairly rough texture surface finish in there which will help with adhesion. Mine were rough cast on the inside. And we're not talking about a critical application here - it is an exhaust tip. I'd simply say clean as best you can and then paint. You could even apply the paint with a brush. It's just not that critical.
    Thanks 2black1s. I like your idea of using a brush. I put off the caliper covers as I didn’t have time to tape off the entire car to protect from overspray. But I wouldn’t have to do all that if I were to use a brush so now I only need to wait for temps to improve. Thanks for the idea!

Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-b304e1eb-ae17-456f-b06c-3d6fe102bc0b-jpg

Decided to try and apply the 303 graphene with my cordless orbital and a black pad, it worked great, it all just glides over the surface and put on a nice uniform coat. Wiping off after every panel me it come off super easy. I love this stuff…
    Glen -

12. Likes Big Dave, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    What did you do today, in regards to detailing?-b304e1eb-ae17-456f-b06c-3d6fe102bc0b-jpg

Decided to try and apply the 303 graphene with my cordless orbital and a black pad, it worked great, it all just glides over the surface and put on a nice uniform coat. Wiping off after every panel me it come off super easy. I love this stuff…
    I'm certainly not knocking your application method but that's a whole lot of picking up and putting down and picking up and putting down a machine to apply a spray on product, especially one very easy to apply/remove by handWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing? That said, love the orange color and I bet pics don't do it any justiceWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Machine application is especially for sealants or waxes that need to be applied evenly and especially in a thin coat. 303 Graphene doesn’t require that and any extra will coagulate on the surface awaiting wipe off. And Mike Phillips is the king of saving time by machine application but uses a big microfiber applicator to apply 303 Graphene. Good luck. And I agree that is a pretty orange.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think I was clear, I completely spray the panel with the graphene and just then just work it in with the orbital. I’m using a Griots palm cordless 2.3 pound orbital with a 5 inch pad, it’s actually easier on my shoulder (and quicker) than constantly spraying a microfiber and pressing down on it , as the orbital just glides around the panel. I’ll continue to do it this way.
    Glen -

16. Likes dgage liked this post
Page 509 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 94094594995005015025035045055065075085095105115125135145155165175185195596091009 ... LastLast