autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    I didn't realize how terrible an uncoated windshield is. This week I had a windshield replaced on the company car and a week's worth of rain on an uncoated windshield made the drive unbearable. It finally stopped raining yesterday and my two choices were Aquapel and Griots Glass Sealant. The temperature was in the high 30's so Aquapel was out. I applied two coats of Griots Glass Sealant and while I was at it, I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the glass with Invisible Glass. I had to go over certain areas twice to remove some smeared adhesive.
    The guys at Safelight also messed with the position of the wiper arm. While I was in good spirits, I removed the arm and adjusted the position.
    anxiously awaiting the next car that gets the one wheel treatment from you...

2. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it is raining, I did some engine bay cleaning on my girlfriend's car with Griot's Engine Cleaner and then some SONUS Trim & Motor Kote. Since the SONUS is just spray on, I was wanting a better sprayer on that. It spits a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I was afraid of applying any type of coating until Guz encourage me to try it, if it comes wrong is not the end of the world...
    So I decided to start somewhere and even that is not a paint coating I thought this might be a good first coating:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Everything came out amazing!!!

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    I was afraid of applying any type of coating until Guz encourage me to try it, if it comes wrong is not the end of the world...
    So I decided to start somewhere and even that is not a paint coating I thought this might be a good first coating:

Why would you be afraid to apply a coating to your rims?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Why would you be afraid to apply a coating to your rims?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No, I was afraid to do it on paint because is a white car, but decided to start on Rims to get my feet wet on coatings...

8. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

10 hours worth of work.
    Probably more, but the first panel I started on showed me that doing a one-step on heavily oxidized paint wasn’t happening.

Wash:

-Karcher 1700 pressure washer w/ RV water filter
    -Malco Ceramic Prep wash
    -Ethos Foam Party pre wash
    -Nanoskin 6” clay pad on a Porter Cable DA really smoothed the paint out.

I used a combo of several products and pads:

-Xtreme Solutions LVR 369 Ice Polish & LVR 367 Trifecta AIO.
    -Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound
    -3D One was running low, but I did use that on some areas. A lot of scuffs were cleaned up.
    -TACsystem Oil Zero
    -Ethos Detox
    -Griot’s Garage 3” DA machine
    -FLEX XFE 15mm cordless DA
    -Lake Country orange & white pads
    -LSP TACsystem One Step Master
    -Ethos Ceramic Wax Pro
    -CarPro Perl on tires and trim
    -Ethos D3FY on windows and door jambs

For a 2006 Tundra w/ 105,000 miles, I think the turn around was decent. If given no time limit, it’d look better. This was a barter detail. My friend is a guitar master, so I traded even for lessons.
    Looks like I got 10 sessions racked up.

How it could’ve gone better:

-Pads pads pads! I only used a few. It takes time to clean and blow them out after half a panel, especially with the paint oxidation. But that’s what I’ve been doing.

-A better game plan. But before I start polishing, I’m still guessing at what will work best. So the test area took awhile to determine what polishing fluids and pads to use.

-Keeping the tools and materials close by. I was better on this detail than past ones. The AutoGeek work belt keeps the microfiber towels and bottles at arms reach. I cleaned off the rolling detail cart after I was done. So for next job I can have only what’s needed right next to the vehicle.

-Deciding on an LSP is frustrating. I gravitate towards ceramic products. But have several polymers to choose from.

That’s it. Detailing is a learning process and it will get better.

10. Likes Klasse Act, DFB, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent 3 hours polishing my “hobby” after washing and clay yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Klasse Act, Craig Encinitas, DFB, DMiglio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Only 3 hours on your hobbyWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?? I would have taken a day off for it. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

14. Likes mattmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Only 3 hours on your hobbyWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?? I would have taken a day off for it. What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Well that was AFTER all day Saturday What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes IH8SPM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I washed and sealed both vehicles, partially just to prove I could do it!

The Accord was easy, is it was mostly clean to start with, and still had some protection on it. For both cars I did a rinseless wash - microfiber wash mitt, damp tRC Creature 460 towels to wipe, spritzed section with Optimum Paint Prep to remove any remaining LSP, and dried with Griots 16x16 PFM towel. Then applied Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection and let it sit while I started on the CRV.

I cleaned the roof of the CRV, then applied UPP, and let it sit (trying to be as efficient as possible with moving the work platform). Went back to remove UPP from the Accord. Then cleaned the rest of the CRV. I had not polished the front bumper, so I left that for last - cleaned & polished. Then I applied UPP to the rest of the CRV and removed it from the roof. Talked to my neighbor for a few minutes, and finally wiped off the UPP...Done in under 3 hours!

This CRV is my first white car in a long time, and I hate it! I polished the CRV over a few days (Rupes yellow wool and Keramik Gloss Fine gel quickly removed the marring from the clay towel and years of washing), but I was waiting to apply any protection. The side that had been corrected first had lots of staining from my oak trees. I got most of it off during the wash, but I hit the hood with the Rupes Keramik Gloss and a yellow foam pad to get it all off.
    I guess if I keep this car for a while I will have to hit it with a cleaner-wax regularly to keep on top of the staining that shows with white paint.

18. Likes DMiglio liked this post
Page 460 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 360410450451452453454455456457458459460461462463464465466467468469470510560960 ... LastLast