autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

So I planned on doing a full spring detail. Was going to use Sonax perfect finish to polish and then seal. But when I stripped it with a good strong citrus wash I decided on a different route. I have been using Sonax Speed Protect for some time now. I’m starting to swear by the stuff for a DD. The paint was still in such good condition I hated to polish and take more clear coat off for no reason.
    So I decided to just give it a good cleaning with DG 501 and then 2 coats of DG111. Can’t beat the 501/ 111 combo. Then 2 coats of Sonax Speed Protect 12hrs apart.

The pics don’t so it justice.

I want to keep this car for a while and from my past experiences with clear coat issues I’m happy to not have to polish if I don’t need to. The Speed Protect is a really interesting product. I got it before it was ever available on AG. It really has some nice scratch resistant properties from normal marring. It’s not scratch proof. I did have to touch up a couple spots. I use it over a sealant instead of Colli 845.

It has taken me a while to find my go to products. But it makes me almost giddy to have a nice shiny and protected car. It’s sits outside 24/7 and I love that the paint remains in such good condition.

Now I just have to decide wether I’m going to top that with BM or DG aquawax(931 at QD) periodically.

Thanks again to all you guys on this site. I have truly enjoyed this journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes hakon78, SWETM, MattPersman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash wifes new to us Suburban for the first time. What fricken disaster that turned into.

Sprayed front end, windshield and mirrors with McKees bug remover and rinsed off a few min later with pressure washer. Bug remover highly recommended.

Sprayed wheels barrels and faces with McKees iron remover. No pictures but they were solid purple. Absolutely not a single inch of wheel was chrome or aluminum color. Rather disturbing it’s care for the last 41k miles. Iron remover highly recommend.

Pressure washer rinse which was waste of time. Wish I had a bigger washer and a way longer hose along with a cannon. More on this later.

Foamed with IK foam9 using griots surface wash. Didn’t do a damn thing to the paint, total waste of time but it’s a black suv so doing what I can to avoid helping it look like garbage . Pressure washed rinse off.

2bm wash with Gyeon bathe+. Now I will say this stuff doesn’t hold foam so if that’s your deal this isn’t for you. It is also not high on lubricity. The paint was flat as a pancake, absolutely zero water behavior. Washed a section at a time and rinsed with the hose. I used way to much for the 2bm but I did see some beading after just using the soap.

Finished vehicle off and decided to use 303 spray sealant for the first time. Worked ok. IMO hydro blue is still better. And I’d really need to play with wetcoat again to say which of those is better but they both do great. This I wasn’t overly impressed with its beading and water behavior. Water doesn’t run off like with the wetcoat or the hydro blue. Definitely not much coating characteristics with it so probably last purchase of this.

So backed into garage and go to drying with my pfms and my Melins elixir (2oz HydrO2, 2 ech2o, 2oz reload, 26oz water). I tried using as a drying aid.

First off I have crazy hard water and it shows how bad. Spots galore. Wasn’t hot, not direct sun as it was cloudy. Added the elixir and streaks like a mofo. I used onr to fix all the bs. Car looks like garbage.

I...insert tons of choice words and foul language...hate black with all of my being. Hence this being the last choice I ever wanted for a vehicle. I could give 2 chits how good it can look because it’s generally pretty for a few minutes and then it’s gone.

So the pressure washer is a sunjoe spx3000 or something. Anyways I only have 25ft of hose and not enough pressure to be useful for the crap I get into. Add in I think I need to be able to foam a vehicle faster than the IK foam9 can it just makes washing long and drawn out. So that’s my piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes Misterpaul, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^ All I can say is: I feel your pain. ^

Black vehicle? Never again. Never! What the **** was I thinking in March 2017? Should have got the Nightfall Grey. After all it was the one I went to buy...
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

If there had been any other color on the lot for exact price and trim I would have bought it over the black one. It almost makes me want to neglect it so I don’t have an aneurysm trying to keep it clean

7. Thanks Ochnob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpaul View Post

Black vehicle? Never again. Never! What the **** was I thinking in March 2017? Should have got the Nightfall Grey. After all it was the one I went to buy...
    Dark green, Hulk green and orange were also available What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

9. Likes Ochnob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Dark green, Hulk green and orange were also available What did you do today, in regards to detailing?
    Not at the dealership I went to, here were my two choices:

Mine’s on the left. My three girls talked me in to get thing the PBM. Next vehicle is back to white, silver or grey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Phantom Black Metallic Chevy SS, automatic, skylight, plus unused wheel in the boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    2bm wash with Gyeon bathe+. Now I will say this stuff doesn’t hold foam so if that’s your deal this isn’t for you. It is also not high on lubricity.
    My thoughts exactly. That was the worst car soap I’ve ever used.

12. Thanks Cleanfreak623 thanked for this post
    Likes Cleanfreak623 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Misterpaul View Post

Haha! I say that every time and guess what I come home with......at least now it's metallic and so much easier on the OCD. I do miss the DEEP Black on sunny days that have awesome puffy clouds. In pics the metallic makes the car look dusty at times as seen in this picture. Even though it's spotless.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

14. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Wash wifes new to us Suburban for the first time. What fricken disaster that turned into.

Sprayed front end, windshield and mirrors with McKees bug remover and rinsed off a few min later with pressure washer. Bug remover highly recommended.

Sprayed wheels barrels and faces with McKees iron remover. No pictures but they were solid purple. Absolutely not a single inch of wheel was chrome or aluminum color. Rather disturbing it’s care for the last 41k miles. Iron remover highly recommend.

Pressure washer rinse which was waste of time. Wish I had a bigger washer and a way longer hose along with a cannon. More on this later.

Foamed with IK foam9 using griots surface wash. Didn’t do a damn thing to the paint, total waste of time but it’s a black suv so doing what I can to avoid helping it look like garbage . Pressure washed rinse off.

2bm wash with Gyeon bathe+. Now I will say this stuff doesn’t hold foam so if that’s your deal this isn’t for you. It is also not high on lubricity. The paint was flat as a pancake, absolutely zero water behavior. Washed a section at a time and rinsed with the hose. I used way to much for the 2bm but I did see some beading after just using the soap.

Finished vehicle off and decided to use 303 spray sealant for the first time. Worked ok. IMO hydro blue is still better. And I’d really need to play with wetcoat again to say which of those is better but they both do great. This I wasn’t overly impressed with its beading and water behavior. Water doesn’t run off like with the wetcoat or the hydro blue. Definitely not much coating characteristics with it so probably last purchase of this.

So backed into garage and go to drying with my pfms and my Melins elixir (2oz HydrO2, 2 ech2o, 2oz reload, 26oz water). I tried using as a drying aid.

First off I have crazy hard water and it shows how bad. Spots galore. Wasn’t hot, not direct sun as it was cloudy. Added the elixir and streaks like a mofo. I used onr to fix all the bs. Car looks like garbage.

I...insert tons of choice words and foul language...hate black with all of my being. Hence this being the last choice I ever wanted for a vehicle. I could give 2 chits how good it can look because it’s generally pretty for a few minutes and then it’s gone.

So the pressure washer is a sunjoe spx3000 or something. Anyways I only have 25ft of hose and not enough pressure to be useful for the crap I get into. Add in I think I need to be able to foam a vehicle faster than the IK foam9 can it just makes washing long and drawn out. So that’s my piece.

Man you really struggle with this new SUV. The first thing I noticed is that you used hose to rinse off Bathe+. Next time if you use it again. Do as you did a panel at the time. But rinse it off with the PW and do so as you hit every part of the panel with the water pressure from the PW. This soap needs high pressure water to really activate it and also to be rinsed off thoroughly. And it can be time consuming with a smaller specs PW. Use the 25 degree nozzle tip or even the 15 degree nozzle tip to get a more concentrated water pressure. Not farther away than about a foot. With these soaps I start from the bottom and work my way up and then down again. When going down again you see if some parts need more water pressure to rinse it off. As in the hydrophobic behavior are a little less on some spots it's useally fixed with the water pressure from the PW to get it up to par with the other.

Then on your drying mess with the drying aid. I think that it's got too much of products in a short time. It can be a mess and since you used 3 different products but in their ways of the protection it leaves behind is simualar. Use one of the soap or spray on rinse off if you are going to be useing a drying aid with some added protection in it. If used soap and spray on rinse off product use a diluted only Ech2o at 1:20-1:25 as drying aid if necessary. Or go with the ONR as drying aid. I useally don't use drying aid at all. I think it messes with the absorption from the drying towels. Drying aids is mostly for lubrication. But it also reduce the water tension. And that water tension is used to the mf drying towel to hold on to the water. So many times I think it's working backwards in what you are doing. Trust your soft high quality drying towels to not be marring the paint is my recommendation. And if you want the extra from the Elixir you apply it dry afterwards if you have not used 2 protection products before. Sometimes you can get away with useing 3 protection products. But when you don't you have a streaking galour LOL.

Don't know if hard water can interfear with the protection products you use wet. I just know you often needs to be have more car soap in the bucket than recommended. But it can be that it impacts the Bathe+ and or 303 spray on rinse off sealant and others like these. If you want more out of Bathe + you can wet the wash mitt and apply a little concentrated Bathe + on the wash mitt. Really important to do as you did when doing this as being out of the sun and work panel by panel. And use the PW to rinse it off and activate it with the water pressure from it.

Post Thanks / Like

First wash after ceramic pro installWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing? What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

17. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 176 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 761261661671681691701711721731741751761771781791801811821831841851862262766761176 ... LastLast