autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

I’m an old fart. Just love to see chrome on a car or truck. Still like the old chrome bumpers, grilles and wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

A fully serviced truck deserves a good detail! Worked in some heat and sun yesterday. Good interior. Dr Beasleys dash pro on all interior plastics. Griots 3-1 mat cleaner for the floor liners. Blackfire leather complete on all seats. Engine was clean. A good wash with TW slick & slide. Pulled out the TWHS graphene flex wax. Put down a coat by hand. Wheels got the same. Tires got Griots ceramic tire shine.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeC View Post
    I’m an old fart. Just love to see chrome on a car or truck. Still like the old chrome bumpers, grilles and wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    As long as it's real chrome, I hate chromed plastic. It looks bad enough when it's new, after a couple of years it's wasted.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

5. Likes Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Took a photo of my front wheel. Now I need a nap.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    As long as it's real chrome, I hate chromed plastic. It looks bad enough when it's new, after a couple of years it's wasted.

It is Real chrome. The way you can tell the difference between “real chrome” and what you consider fake chrome doesn’t have to do with whether the part is plastic or metal underneath, it’s the process that matters, and visually both will actually look the same. The only difference is “real” chrome is more durable.

Easy way to tell whether it’s “real” chrome is if you can take some steel wool to it and not scratch it. Even if it’s plastic chrome you should be able to take not just 0000 steel wool but also 00 and I’m pretty sure 000 as well without creating scratches.

That’s why I was easily able to polish this grill and make it look like new. [it’s not metal]

If it’s “fake” chrome steel wool will immediately scratch it because fake chrome has a top layer of clearcoat on it, which will scratch the same way your paint would if you were to rub even the finest steel wool across it.

The mistake some people make is trying to use steel wool with somekind of metal polish as if the metal polish is going to provide somekind of lubrication between the steel wool and the chrome surface. That’s a big mistake and the only thing that results in is making the process too aggressive which will result in either scratching or dulling the surface, and once you do that there’s no turning back.

Some people talk about using water as lube and while I haven’t used plain water before I guess it should work… This time I experimented and used N-914 as lube mainly because I wanted to eliminate the dust residue + I was down to my last piece of steel wool and it worked out great on the opera lights. I used the steel wool dry on the grill and blew off the dust with the Metro Sidekick.

9. Likes Dirty Harry, PaulMys, Big Dave, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got off of work a little early and decided to wash the EN, it poured overnight and the road was wet and light rain taking my daughter to daycare, so a "legit" wash was needed.

I drove straight out of the wash and to a park with good shade to dry off the EN, spot drying was all that was needed. Since I had the time I decided to apply some TWHS Pure Shine to the paint. Now the Nv is laying under it, doing its thing but this product is EXACTLY what the name implies...PURE SHINE, zero protection and its soooo easy to use, almost zero effort to wipe and buffWhat did you do today, in regards to detailing?What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

For the tires & wheels I simply used Bilt-Hamber quick detailer to even out the tires and level out the rims, super easy and as you can see the tires looks "sheeny"What did you do today, in regards to detailing?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes PaulMys, Big Dave, Prange, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It is Real chrome. The way you can tell the difference between “real chrome” and what you consider fake chrome doesn’t have to do with whether the part is plastic or metal underneath, it’s the process that matters, and visually both will actually look the same. The only difference is “real” chrome is more durable.

Easy way to tell whether it’s “real” chrome is if you can take some steel wool to it and not scratch it. Even if it’s plastic chrome you should be able to take not just 0000 steel wool but also 00 and I’m pretty sure 000 as well without creating scratches.

That’s why I was easily able to polish this grill and make it look like new. [it’s not metal]

If it’s “fake” chrome steel wool will immediately scratch it because fake chrome has a top layer of clearcoat on it, which will scratch the same way your paint would if you were to rub even the finest steel wool across it.

The mistake some people make is trying to use steel wool with somekind of metal polish as if the metal polish is going to provide somekind of lubrication between the steel wool and the chrome surface. That’s a big mistake and the only thing that results in is making the process too aggressive which will result in either scratching or dulling the surface, and once you do that there’s no turning back.

Some people talk about using water as lube and while I haven’t used plain water before I guess it should work… This time I experimented and used N-914 as lube mainly because I wanted to eliminate the dust residue + I was down to my last piece of steel wool and it worked out great on the opera lights. I used the steel wool dry on the grill and blew off the dust with the Metro Sidekick.
    My second car had chrome bumpers and on the wheels. I occasionally used steel wool on the wheels, with WD40, but I never had to on the bumpers, they stayed good for the 3 years I had it. This shot is from around 1990, the car is a 79 Holden Commodore.

Post Thanks / Like

I love chrome. When I die, bury me in a chrome casket. Lol

14. Likes PaulMys, Coatingsarecrack, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I love chrome. When I die, bury me in a chrome casket. Lol
    Done!

I'm gonna slap a "HEMI" sticker on the lid right before they lower it down into the ground, though..........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes Eldorado2k, Big Dave, opie, Dirty Harry liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Done.

I'm gonna slap a "HEMI" sticker on the lid right before they lower it down into the ground, though..........
    Don’t do it! I swear I’ll roll over.What did you do today, in regards to detailing?lol.

Page 1092 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 92592992104210821083108410851086108710881089109010911092109310941095109610971098109911001101110211421192 ... LastLast