autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Powder Coating needs some help!

The sliders (think running boards) on my Land Cruiser where powder coated a dark charcoal gray a couple years ago. The coating seems to be holding up well, other than how faded it's gotten. The truck sits outside... backing in the Georgia sun. Now, that dark charcoal looks like a light gray - reminds me of the plastic all over a Chevy Avalanche. What are my options to bring back, or get close to, the original darker gray?

The next question comes with an admission - I screwed up. I got a concentrated degreaser on my powder coated wheels - which left dull streaks, drips, etc. Am I hosed there? Time to re-powder?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powder Coating needs some help!

I have had luck rejuvenating faded wiper arms that are powder coated by applying Solution Finish trim restorer. The carbon black seems to absorb into the faded powder coat. The linseed oil I smell in SF maybe hydrating the powder coat too, I'm not sure. I got it on the wiper arms by accident when working on a windshield cowling. When I wiped it off those spots looked significantly better than the rest of the faded wiper arms, so I did the entire wiper arm. I have do it probably done this about 6-8 times now. I don't know how well this lasts yet, I'll see when they come back in 6-10 months.

You can always try abrasive polishing, but I have found powder coat difficult to polish when it gotten to that faded state and will usually have an uneven appearance afterwards.

Your running boards are much larger objects and get bombarded with road spray and traffic film, so the SF may not hold up. I doubt that SF would harm anything though and just go back to the original faded sate.

Mike Phillips

That type of paint is simply hard to work with...

At this point, outside of repainting them, try the Solution Finish and then apply a product like CarPro Pearl. "Yes" it's a dressing and at some point will wash off, but it will work as a temporary fix to make them "look good" again.

4. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the cosmetic condition of the sliders (a.k.a. rock rails, a.k.a. step bars), and the feedback, I'm wondering if I should consider (gulp) rattle-canning them. This seems like a viable option and one that I should sort out before any type of "dressing" to optimize the paint bonding... right?

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Given the cosmetic condition of the sliders (a.k.a. rock rails, a.k.a. step bars), and the feedback, I'm wondering if I should consider (gulp) rattle-canning them. This seems like a viable option and one that I should sort out before any type of "dressing" to optimize the paint bonding... right?

Thanks guys!
    Würth makes a lot of different products that take care of the road debris and rocks and other things your lower panels gets on them. I found Würth High Build underbody underseal but I think you can get something that is for the body too. Depending how visual the sliders are you want to go with a body spray. If it's not so visual maybe this product can suit your need. In any case if the sliders gets alot of dirt from the wheels you want some rubber like paint that is flexible. So it's last a lot longer than regualar paint does. And those body spray paints is quite easy to get nice. Just coat thin coats and build up to a good finish. Don't know excactly how the sliders looks like and where they are placed. So this could be a non option LOL.

Wurth High Build UnderBody UnderSeal

/Tony

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tony. The sliders are perfectly located to get a LOT of tire spray, stones, etc. Oh, and their primary function to carry the weight of the 5,600 lb truck when it lands on a rock (off-road).

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Würth Stone Guard Black or Stone Guard Grey has less texture. It's what is used below the painted panels on the rocker panels. So it's gets more texture than powder coating. The benefit is that they are better at protect from the rock chips and the sprays from the wheels. Don't think it holds up to the offroad and gliding over rocks though LOL. It's much like a rubber paint. So the protection that works on trim and rubber would work on this I think.

If you can get 2-component polyurethane protective Coating. You get a very tough protection and a smoother texture. And it's if you want any texture on the finish. There are both colored ones and clear. Here is a copy and paste description of one. It's a little hard to know what's available in the US. But a little searching and you can find one I think. Ad bedliner and offroad when google it and you maybe finds something.

2-component polyurethane protective Coatings with structure effect. Tough coating offers great
    chemical resistance against oil, gasoline, water and salt; as well as mechanical resistance against
    scratches and stains. High performance formulation contains UV Filters and anticorrosive additives
    that effectively protect against extreme climatic conditions, color fading, rust and corrosion. Can be
    applied on various substrates with an UBS antigravel gun or any conventional gravity feed spray gun.