autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing botched Cquartz Uk coating

Hi all, new here and recently installed Cquartz Uk on a white BMW M3. My first coat went on well, however, three hours afterwards, i went to put on a second coat. It was not going on easy and i felt a good bit of stiction/friction as i have a feeling the first coat was not cured and in a gel like stage. The instructions are not clear about when to install the second coat but i realize now i should have waited a few days. It has dried now after 3 days inside my garage from the initial install but i let it cure outside for 12 hours on day 2.

So in a nutshell, the second coat has created a massive haze and resin streaking. I have tried Meguirs 205 with my HF DA with a blue pad on speed setting 5, and im having hard time getting it off. it seems like i can get bit and pieces of it but its very fragmented as i can see the underlying paint and then i see resin streaks.

Curious if anyone can recommend what i can do to get it off. I was hoping to stick to Meguiars as i can readily get it at my local auto store?

Thanks for any help, Kal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing botched Cquartz Uk coating

Try LC orange pad. If LC pads, blue (finessing) not aggressive enough.

3. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Megs ultimate compound, white lake country ccs med hard pad or orange pad...follow with 205 and blue pad--all speed 4 or gso....
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

205 on an orange pad should remove it. Keep changing pads every panel or clean on the fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with stepping up on aggression, but you might also want to give Essence plus a shot. May be just enough to clean up the haze and still leave enough coating behind so you don’t have to completely redo everything.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. Ill switch to the Orange pads

Post Thanks / Like

Not to answer your question but to comment on the second coat, I agree with you on the instructions. Some say you don't need as it's useless. Anyway if you have some left why not top right?

I asked Avi about this so he said one hour after first coat which is usually when you're done going around the whole car. "Better if longer... Around 4 hours"

I suppose waiting longer would not yield better results as the first coating is doing its job not to let "contaminants" stick to it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

It appears the OP was heavy handed.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, what happened to me, was that the cquartz I believe is going through a solid to hard transition during the first 24 hours and 3 hours into it, it was in a gel like state. As I assumed it had dried by then, I ended up applying it at a bad time when I should have waited for it to completely cure. Lesson learned and unfortunately the cquartz uk doesn't have the greatest instructions/documentation on whether two coats are needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sibhusz06 View Post
    Hi all, new here and recently installed Cquartz Uk on a white BMW M3. My first coat went on well, however, three hours afterwards, i went to put on a second coat. It was not going on easy and i felt a good bit of stiction/friction as i have a feeling the first coat was not cured and in a gel like stage. The instructions are not clear about when to install the second coat but i realize now i should have waited a few days. It has dried now after 3 days inside my garage from the initial install but i let it cure outside for 12 hours on day 2.

So in a nutshell, the second coat has created a massive haze and resin streaking. I have tried Meguirs 205 with my HF DA with a blue pad on speed setting 5, and im having hard time getting it off. it seems like i can get bit and pieces of it but its very fragmented as i can see the underlying paint and then i see resin streaks.

Curious if anyone can recommend what i can do to get it off. I was hoping to stick to Meguiars as i can readily get it at my local auto store?

Thanks for any help, Kal
    Welcome to the forum. Most of the members have already provided you good information on how to remove the high spots.

Here is the application procedure straight from CarPro's site. This should help you with future applications

Precautions:

•Do not apply in direct sun or on hot surface
    •Do not re-use 4" Suede applicators
    •Do not re-use the towels you used to buff off with on paint
    •Wear hand protection

•Wear respiratory protection such as painters mask

Read "Tips" above before coating

1.Wrap a 4" mf Suede around the grey side of applicator block.
    2.Shake CQuartz UK.
    3.Slowly open bottle and drag one or two lines of product down the applicator.
    4.Spread across paint in a criss cross pattern approximately 2 sq ft at a time depending on conditions.
    5.Buff off as soon as it flashes (within 2-5 minutes depending - see tips above) using a CarPro No Lint Ultra Towel 16" x 16".
    6.Be sure to remove all excess residue and only then do you move to the next section.
    7.Switch out the 4" Suedes every 2+/- panels.
    8.Additional coats may be applied with 45-60 minutes or wait until the following day if you are beyond 60 minutes. CarPro recommends 2 coats. Max Layer - 3 coats.
    9.Apply Reload after final coat within 30- 60 mins. Wait until next day for Reload if you miss the 30-60 minute window or at least a minimum of 12 hrs.

12. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast