autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Paint Correction Products

What product is best to repair find scratches/haze caused by wet sanding? Polishing Compound (e.g. Mequiar’s Ulitmate Compund) or “Correcting Cream” (e.g. Griot’s FAST Correcting Cream (or are these the same basic product?)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Correction Products

I think the Griot's FAST Correcting Cream is easier to use than Meguiar's product. Either way you should follow with a fine polish to get the best result. Do you have a DA polisher? if you're doing it by hand you'll need to be very careful or you'll burn through the clear coat.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes EJ88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been using Griot's Garage BOSS Fast Correcting Cream with outstanding results! It is extremely user friendly, virtually no dusting and in many cases you may be able to skip a secondary polishing as it can leave the finish ready for your LSP. Some good stuff right there.

They are not the same product from a chemistry standpoint, miles apart in my opinion. However, they are both commonly used to address similar paint correction issues.

Autogeek offers a tremendous selection of products to address what you are looking for. Also consider 3D One Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish. This has received some rave reviews as well.

Lastly, if you are using a DA, proper pad selection is critical for obtaining the desired result. As I am sure you are probably aware, there are cutting pads, polishing pads, finishing pads, etc. Choose the correct weapon and ammo, and you will love the results! Knock 'em dead and enjoy!!

5. Likes EJ88 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been enjoying 3D One.

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and Menzerna 400 are my other favorites.

With the 3D One, you can alter the cut/finish by swapping pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, these comments are really helpful. THANK YOU. I have new (2018) Audi RS5 in Nardo Grey - which is. A beautiful paint (when clean!). The dealership tried to talk me into a 3M clear bra for the hood, but at $2800 installed, I decided to take care of the pain myself. Maybe a mistake! Just a few months in, my hood was hit with a couple of small rocks, but enough to create small chips (four of them) down to the white layer (think it’s the primer layer). I should have 1. Sucked it up and got the clear bra; or 2. Taken it to a body shop immediately (but I’m sure they would tell me to paint the entire hood for ~$3K). So, I went the DIY route. First I ordered touch up paint per code (from Audi, the OEM), and then I tried the Langka system - but the paint would not stay the chip (even after letting it dry for 2 weeks). I then went the wet sand route, but now believe I have just created more scratches. I do have a DA - perhaps I will try that with the products you guys recommend above. Thank you (Eric, Vienna VA).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the proper pad usage and sequence?

Post Thanks / Like

EJ88, Sounds like you have a very nice car. For the existing rock chips you describe, it may be best to take it to a reputable body shop for repair. If it is just a few small chips, they should be able to fix that. There are body shops that will repair such things. Google "scratch/chip repair" in your town and see what pops up.

I would also get some estimates for the clear bra. There should be many offerings for considerably less than what the dealer quoted you. Dealers are frequently an absolute RIPP-OFF! They have earned the reputation of "stealerships". In fact, I would seek a couple of clear bra quotes first and while you are there, ask them to recommend a quality body shop to address the chips. I'm sure they would be knowledgeable on this need prior to applying a clear bra.

With regard to the pads you are seeking, there are so many options it will make your head spin. Try and stick with one brand (like BOSS or Lake Country) an get a heavy cutting pad, a polishing pad, and a finishing pad. The products I mentioned earlier, BOSS Fast correcting Cream and 3D One Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish are excellent options and can go from "Compounding" (typically the most aggressive polishing) to polishing and even finish polishing just by using the correct pad type. Pretty cool huh...

As a general rule of thumb, you want to use the least aggressive approach to correct the defect. So, with this in mind, once you get your products, conduct a test-spot or two using a relatively gentle approach first, then work your way toward more aggressive steps if that first test-spot didn't yield the desired result, and see what it will actually take to correct the defects. Remember, least aggressive approach first then progress from there and determine what will best correct the problem.

Take your time and enjoy the process! It can be fun and very rewarding to fix something like this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Sonic Pilot. You are a true gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ88 View Post
    Thank you, Sonic Pilot. You are a true gentleman.
    Thank you kind sir!

Just one more thought on the test-spots. When you conduct your test-spot, obviously do so on an area that is scratched and check the results of your initial product & pad selection. If the initial result is less than satisfactory, find another spot and try a more aggressive approach.

I would not conduct a second test on the same test-spot. The result can be misleading as you have probably already partially corrected the defect. Again, find a new spot and test with a slightly more aggressive approach until you get the result you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ88 View Post
    What are the proper pad usage and sequence?
    Compound is generally used to remove swirls and scratches, and polish is used to refine the finish to maximum gloss.

Sometimes polish might be all you need, even if you have to use it on a heavier cut pad.

The combination I recommend most is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, and Ultimate Polish paired with green and blue Buff and Shine pads, respectively. I also throw in the orange/black Buff and Shine Microfiber pads for more resistant paint.

I'd start with Ultimate Polish on the blue pad. If that isn't working try UP on the green. If that doesn't work try Ultimate Compound on the green. If that doesn't work, try UC on the microfiber pad.

13. Likes Maxreed241, cullen2505 liked this post