autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water spots

Post Thanks / Like

Water spots

I'm kind of stuck and can't make up my mind. The car in question is a 14 black Mercedes. Paint was corrected 5 months ago, the hood roof and trunk now have beaded water spots from what I'm assuming is rain since there is no spotting on both sides.

Would you go out and buy 3D eraser or any product similar to it? Or go straight to polishing with polishing pad.

I do have different combos of pads, polishes and compounds I can use to tackle this, I guess I'm just looking to see if something like 3D eraser would be the least aggressive approach.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water spots

What LSP is on the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Colinite 845 topped with pinnacle Souvern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LAKings22 View Post
    Colinite 845 topped with pinnacle Souvern

I would try using a chemical water spot remover instead of removing clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of stuck and can't make up my mind. The car in question is a 14 black Mercedes. Paint was corrected 5 months ago, the hood roof and trunk now have beaded water spots from what I'm assuming is rain since there is no spotting on both sides.

Would you go out and buy 3D eraser or any product similar to it? Or go straight to polishing with polishing pad.

I do have different combos of pads, polishes and compounds I can use to tackle this, I guess I'm just looking to see if something like 3D eraser would be the least aggressive approach.

Thank you.

Why not try a test-spot or two with some polishes you already have? As you mention, start with the least aggressive approach and go from there. You may already have what you need!

Post Thanks / Like

That was or still is the plan, but then I came across products like 3D eraser or Optium MDR and figured maybe I can use that to avoid having to remove any clear.

Post Thanks / Like

That was or still is the plan, but then I came across products like 3D eraser or Optium MDR and figured maybe I can use that to avoid having to remove any clear.

Ok, I see. Well, this car may be a convenient excuse to give those products a try! Do let us know what you finally decided. I'm interested to know.

Kind regards...

Post Thanks / Like

Those water spot removing products don’t even work! Lol.

If you read the description for most of them, they state that it’ll remove water spots before they etch your paint... Well yea, so will a Quik Detailer, waterless wash, etc.

You’re better off claying it and if that doesn’t fully remove them follow it up with a light polish, start with a foam finishing pad, it’s usually enough to get the job done.

9. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Likes LAKings22 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Those water spot removing products don’t even work! Lol.

Actually, I've had good luck with Optimum MDR on "some" types of water spots. What most people don't understand is there are different types of water spots.

In fact, I know a guy.... he wrote an article about the different types...

3 - Types of Water Spots - Type I, Type II and Type III

But over the course of most of my detailing work-life, I've found that when car paint has water spots, at a MINIMUM it will be a Type II Imprint Ring and it will require mechanical polishing to REMOVE SOME PAINT in order to level the surface and thus visually remove the "spot".

I always explain in all my car detailing classes that the reason you start with wheels and tires before washing the body panels of a car is because the WORST type of defect to have to remove out of car paint is water spots. In fact, just shared that for the 3-day class this last weekend. I'm consistent in what I teach.

To LAKings22

BEFORE I ever work on a Mercedes-Benz I first check to see if it has a Ceramiclear paint system. See my article here, the only article like it on the web....

Ceramiclear Paints - Be Careful

Then read this,

Ceramiclear Paint Code Location on Mercedes-Benz

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.
    I would try CarPro Spotless first. Wash/clean the panels and remove most of the water but it doesn't have to be dry. Spray on spotless and let dwell. Don't rinse, but rather re-wash those panels and work the product over the surface lightly. Then rinse. I've had great success with it and on occasion I've had to use 2 applications.

If that doesn't work then use 3D Eraser - I use the gel. It will absolutely remove them but it will also remove your LSP and likely on the panels below as you rinse too. Just be aware that you'll need to re coat them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

12. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Likes LAKings22 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast