autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Most user friendly ceramic coating?

Hey guys,

I just picked up a new car and I'm looking to ceramic coat it. I was curious, what is the most user friendly ceramic coat that lasts at least a year?

Seems like CarPro cquartz UK 3.0 might be my best bet?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most user friendly ceramic coating?

Even though it doesn’t fit what you’re asking for... Someone’s going to say “Cancoat” lol.

3. Likes Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Even though it doesn’t fit what you’re asking for... Someone’s going to say “Cancoat” lol.
    I guess I should add, I'm willing to do a less lasting coating if its super easy to apply and not terribly expensive. but if it's like a $30 diff between 6mo and 1-2 years and a little work, seems stupid to go for less.

Post Thanks / Like

CQUK 3.0 is pretty easy. But WGUC is easier in my opinion. We got 2 years out of WGUC including winters. I’ve used both and like both.

6. Likes Hammer77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used CQUK 2.O and the "normal" CQuartz coatings and both were very easy to use. Everyone using version 3.0 say it's easier yet, so it should be a real winner.

The old formula of McKee's 37 Paint coating was very easy to use as well, but I can't speak for version 2.0 since it was refomulated. It might still be worth researching.

Quote Originally Posted by Daven75 View Post
    I guess I should add, I'm willing to do a less lasting coating if its super easy to apply and not terribly expensive. but if it's like a $30 diff between 6mo and 1-2 years and a little work, seems stupid to go for less.
    Makes sense. I think I'm going to continue to use CanCoat on our cars since they are small and the process is pretty fast/easy, but on our SUV where detailing is never fast or easy, I'm going to go ahead and hit it with a full coating next spring so I don't have to do anything other than keep it clean for the next 18 months.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    CQUK 3.0 is pretty easy. But WGUC is easier in my opinion. We got 2 years out of WGUC including winters. I’ve used both and like both.
    WGUC?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I used CQUK 2.O and the "normal" CQuartz coatings and both were very easy to use. Everyone using version 3.0 say it's easier yet, so it should be a real winner.

The old formula of McKee's 37 Paint coating was very easy to use as well, but I can't speak for version 2.0 since it was refomulated. It might still be worth researching.

Makes sense. I think I'm going to continue to use CanCoat on our cars since they are small and the process is pretty fast/easy, but on our SUV where detailing is never fast or easy, I'm going to go ahead and hit it with a full coating next spring so I don't have to do anything other than keep it clean for the next 18 months.
    Yea, thats my main issue is the size. Although, I've been used to cleaning SUV's my whole life so idk lol. Im really debating on Cancoat.

My other man issue is the prep work. To my understanding most coatings I just need to do an IPA wipedown if the cars defect free but I was looking at Blackfire's coating and it says you should use their polish to prep the surface. I'm assuming this is not NEEDED if you use an IPA in it's place?

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a good list that will suit your needs. In no particular order.

CQuartz UK 3.0
    Cquartz Classic
    Optimum Gloss Coat - will get you 1 year
    Sonax CC36 - will get you 1 year
    Pinnacle Black Label V2

If you are looking for something that will get you 6 months to a year then CanCoat would be the way to go. I just got to 13 months with it in my moms car that I polished with Gyeon Primer Polish. Your durability will vary depending on the environment.

My other man issue is the prep work. To my understanding most coatings I just need to do an IPA wipedown if the cars defect free but I was looking at Blackfire's coating and it says you should use their polish to prep the surface. I'm assuming this is not NEEDED if you use an IPA in it's place?
    You are correct. If the surface looks good and there is no protection than one could go straight to a coating. A light polish will help in longevity by prepping that surface. If that makes sense.

That Blackfire Polish is non abrasive and you don’t have to use it but it is supposed to clean the surface while leaving layer of SiO2 for the coating to achieve a better bond to the surface.

10. Likes Daven75, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rather than using and IPA, I'd use a coating prep spray many coating companies offer like CarPro's Eraser, Gyeon Prep, or even Blackfire's own Paint Prep spray. They are fast and easy, but also have a bit of lubrication in them you don't find in IPA to prevent any potential marring while doing a wipe down.

The prep polish is only a recomendation if you aren't going to polish the surface first.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Likes Daven75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Here’s a good list that will suit your needs. In no particular order.

CQuartz UK 3.0
    Cquartz Classic
    Optimum Gloss Coat - will get you 1 year
    Sonax CC36 - will get you 1 year
    Pinnacle Black Label V2

If you are looking for something that will get you 6 months to a year then CanCoat would be the way to go. I just got to 13 months with it in my moms car that I polished with Gyeon Primer Polish. Your durability will vary depending on the environment.

You are correct. If the surface looks good and there is no protection than one could go straight to a coating. A light polish will help in longevity by prepping that surface. If that makes sense.

That Blackfire Polish is non abrasive and you don’t have to use it but it is supposed to clean the surface while leaving layer of SiO2 for the coating to achieve a better bond to the surface.
    Ok, so sounds like I did understand it correctly. Cool, thanks for that list. I look into them, so far, cquartz UK seems to be my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Rather than using and IPA, I'd use a coating prep spray many coating companies offer like CarPro's Eraser, Gyeon Prep, or even Blackfire's own Paint Prep spray. They are fast and easy, but also have a bit of lubrication in them you don't find in IPA to prevent any potential marring while doing a wipe down.

The prep polish is only a recomendation if you aren't going to polish the surface first.
    Yea, after looking into it some more, CarPro Eraser is probably the way Ill go.

Post Thanks / Like

I find ceramic coatings to be very easy to apply. It's the prep work that takes time and can be difficult depending on the type of vehicle it is and the condition of the paint surface.

Pinnacle Black Label, Blackfire, Wolfgang, GTechniq, Gyeon, CarPro, Sonax, Britemax, Dr Beasley's, Optimum, McKee's 37 and IGL all offer excellent coatings that will last 12 months or longer.

Car Paint, Glass & Trim Coatings, permanent paint coatings, trim coatings, car glass coating

15. Likes Daven75, ssnimrod liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast