autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Ridgid Vac hose upgrade ?

I have a Ridgid 4050 for about 8 years now and still using the hose that came with it. Between the cord length and hose length, I always find my self stretching to the max distance from the outlet to get the job done. It's worked around the issue all this time but the time to upgrade is overdue.

The 2 hose upgrades I came across is the Mr Nozzle M-500 with 2" hose and Ridgid VT2570 (detailers upgrade kit).

Which one would you recommend?

Also will the 2" vs 1.5" in diameter make a difference in performance out of the 3.5hp vac? I do plan on upgrading to something with alittle more power eventually.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ridgid Vac hose upgrade ?

2" is what most commercial car washes use but I think the real reason is in the old days everyone smoked and the cigarette butts would get caught in the throat of 1.5 inch nozzles. 2" is bulky. Having said that, Mr nozzle is a recognized US manufacturer of commercial car wash equipment and it should be pretty durable. The ridgid set I bought for home use has a lot more tools than the one you list. But I'm good with just a standard claw and a crevice tool.

3. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ridgid Vac hose upgrade ?

Quote Originally Posted by gregpack View Post
    2" is what most commercial car washes use but I think the real reason is in the old days everyone smoked and the cigarette butts would get caught in the throat of 1.5 inch nozzles. 2" is bulky. Having said that, Mr nozzle is a recognized US manufacturer of commercial car wash equipment and it should be pretty durable. The ridgid set I bought for home use has a lot more tools than the one you list. But I'm good with just a standard claw and a crevice tool.
    That’s an interesting point.

As far as the Ridgid hose in the detailing kit, it’s actually 1.25” id.

Which in turn means it accepts 1.25” accessories, which isn’t really a bad thing because they’re the most popular and you’ll never have to search too hard if you feel like buying a new 1 to try. The ones that come in the detailing kit are useful.
    The minor drawbacks are a little less suction power compared to using a larger hose, in my case I come down from using a 2.5” hose that came with my 16Gallon 6hp Ridgid. I use the Orange hose for maintenance vacuuming, and use the 2.5” hose for when I do full details and need the maximum suction power.

As far as the Mr. Nozzle hose you’re looking at, well it does have an additional 2’ of length which is a good thing + the 2” hose should provide a bit more suction power even from your vacuum which I believe is 5hp. From the looks of it you should have no problem using the adapters it comes with to hook up to most accessories... But I think you still may need this Ridgid set of adapters in order to hook up to your current 1 7/8th accessories and it should also let you hook up 1.25” with that set.

The only thing that makes it a tough call is the accessories that come with the detailing kit, I wouldn’t want to be without the brushes and the long crevice tool. But if you can make up for them than go with the Mr. Nozzle hose.

5. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I searched through all the reviews and Q&A section on Home Depots site last night. It turns out the Ridgid Detailing kit (1.5") won't work with the older Ridgid Vac I have.

They do make the same hose in 1 7/8" it just doesn't include the extra attachments. I ended up buying that and luckily they had 1 crevice 1 7/8 in stock.

I haven't had the chance to put it to work yet but after messing around with it for few minutes, I can tell it's going to much better to work with over the original hose.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't fret about the smaller ID. I've posted before that I use 50' of pool vacuum hose with a 6.5HP ShopVac and the suction is fine. It will pick up pens, coins, all manner is stuck in pet hair. Suction is fine.

8. Thanks LAKings22 thanked for this post
    Likes LAKings22 liked this post