autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I ruined my leather seat

Tough to see in images. Driver seat was dirty so I attempted to clean it with Griots 3 in 1 ( as I have done in the past with no problem). But this time, instead of cleaning it away, the dirt seemed to spread the more I wiped it with the microfiber cloth. I then tried Sonus leather cleaner which didn’t help at all. Tried Griots again with no luck. I think I ruined it. Would appreciate some advice from those detainers who know how to deal with this type of issue. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think I ruined my leather seat-cffb219b-f642-4ed0-869b-35ed5a977b9d-jpg   I think I ruined my leather seat-18b5de80-abc4-4514-806d-3d64daa6cabd-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I think I ruined my leather seat

Tough time seeing your issue, but we use the little yellow brush that has a velour face (I believe it's velour, if not it's velour like). Just spray on a liberal amount of a mild APC and go to town with the brush. Keep the surface well hydrated and when you've worked the entire area, remove with a clean microfiber towel. Nothing gets dirt and grime out of the grain like that brush and it's harmless to the leather unlike a hard bristled brush.

Post Thanks / Like

What is it that makes you think you ruined it? I find it hard to believe you could do much damage with designated leather cleaners (unless the seat had been compromised before). If anything it seems like they might be conservative enough that they’re just not getting the seat fully clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    Tough to see in images. Driver seat was dirty so I attempted to clean it with Griots 3 in 1 ( as I have done in the past with no problem). But this time, instead of cleaning it away, the dirt seemed to spread the more I wiped it with the microfiber cloth. I then tried Sonus leather cleaner which didn’t help at all. Tried Griots again with no luck. I think I ruined it. Would appreciate some advice from those detainers who know how to deal with this type of issue. Thanks
    Because the grains of the leather still seem to have the original color, I think your issue was caused more by abrasion, than some chemical reaction with the product you've used. If it would be the latter (ie. that you used a very thick dilution, which possible attacked the leather and damaged it), then it would have to be the lower parts of the grain that were more effect by it, because that's where the product could have settled and affected the material more, than on the higher parts, where you obviously wiped it off easily without leaving any of the product back.

/me thinks that the dirt build-up on the affected place was caused by the protective upper layer of the leather already being gone there, and deeper layers of the leather "fabric" being exposed in the first place. And by cleaning it you've just removed that dirt, but didn't affect the structure of the leather. In other words: it wasn't you who ruined it, you just exposed the damage below the dirt. If that makes sense to you, also considering the "before" state of the leather, which we don't have a picture of, so can't include that in our judgement.

Of course if you scrubbed too hard, then it could be very well that you caused or at least contributed to the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a very soft Sonax brush to clean it. It was very weird. The more I tried to wipe it off with the Costco yellow microfiber towel, the darker it became. The seat bottom was not compromised before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
    I used a very soft Sonax brush to clean it. It was very weird. The more I tried to wipe it off with the Costco yellow microfiber towel, the darker it became. The seat bottom was not compromised before.
    It could be that your leaving some dye from the mf. Re-clean and wipe with a white terry towel.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest the same thing about using a white terry cloth towel. It has a deeper nap that will pick up the dirt and not leave anything behind. The Sonax soft brush is the right tool. Just make sure to wipe up the section while it is still wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a better pic. The dark spot comes out much better when wet. Notice how it’s just that area even though the whole bottom was cleaned with a diluted apc and then a conditioned? Why doesn’t the whole seat look like that? Obviously, it doesn’t look as bad when dried as you saw in the earlier pictures. This bothers the hell out of me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I think I ruined my leather seat-f48c225b-5cb5-40d9-b971-616e34f62239-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you were too aggressive and removed some of the protective coating and even a little bit of dye leaving it unprotected which is why it gets darker when it gets wet. The water is being allowed to actually reach and penetrate the leather. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. The seat would have to be redyed and recoated and would cost more than buying a brand new replacement seat. From the dealer.
    Actually, you could buy just the seat bottom cushion cover but it would never match the seat back.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you removed the coating. I've seen that before it looks exactly like that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast