autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Correction Products

Everyone has a different technique and different products, it makes my head spin! I've always used M105/205. What do you all use for paint correction (not including machines and pads)? Is it a waste of time to follow up with an even lighter polish/glaze after using 205? Or would I just be wasting my time? I've seen the beautful outcome one can create with 105/205, just wondering if you could do better and if it's even worth it. I'll be doing professional detailing and hope to stay busy with it daily.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Correction Products

105 was great in the day but more user friendly products have come out that can cut better and finish down better with zero to no dust and super easy wipe off. I like Sonax Cut Max, Griots Fast Correcting Cream, Wizards Mystic Cut to name a few compounds. As far as 205, Its a product that can finish down wonderfully but to truly get the most out of it, there are a few tricks with technique. Again I feel there are better finishing polishes out there since 205 has been released. Technology has been improving thus making Compounds and polishes better and better IMO..

If you are going to be detailing Professionally, I suggest having a few different compounds and polishes on hand as there is no "specific" product that will work in every single instance. Perhaps buy some small bottles and find what you like best.
    Jim

3. Likes dwaleke, Paul A., oneheadlite, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the good Doctor Oldz on the Griot's FCC. It corrects like crazy and finishes down like a polish. No dusting, and sun friendly.

And I am eagerly anticipating my 3D One. (Like I need another product, but..............)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

We use Megs, HD Speed, some new stuff that Scott from Dallas Paint Correction is raving about, Shine Supply Classic Cut and Burn Out, Scholl's, 3M Marine Perfect It and some stuff we obtain locally. Oldz is right, have a good supply of different products and pads available because no solution is a perfect solution for every car.

Post Thanks / Like

I too will endorse the long time favorites, M105 & M205. However, lately I have been loving the Griots Garage BOSS Creams. They are truly a pleasure to work with and have performed beyond my expectations with regard to paint correction and how they finish! Truly an advancement in correcting and polishing chemistry. Give them a try!

As others have mentioned, working professionally you will want to have at least a couple of options at your disposal. After all, a mechanic has more than one wrench, right!

Continue to do your research, experiment and see what works best for you.

If only there were some sort of reliable and credible "Rating System" one could reference to help narrow down all the options. Hmmm......

Post Thanks / Like

There is a ratings system in place. It's called the internet. LOL

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    There is a ratings system in place. It's called the internet. LOL
    Hey sudsmobile!

I did say "reliable and credible". Perhaps I should have said relevant too!

Good to hear from you!

Post Thanks / Like

I use Meguiar's M100, M86, and M205 more than anything else.

If I can stay away from diminishing abrasives I will. My mind never thinks I've broken down the abrasives enough, and I'm left with this uncertain tension after polishing. With a non diminishing abrasive I might be able to do one pass, wipe off, and be done. Significant time saving, and easy wipe off (most times).

I use all the Rupes gels with their tools when I use them. They are all very good. Keramik (fine cut) is excellent, as is UHS (compound/polish). Zephir (coarse/heavy cut) can be temperamental and dusty. Quarz (medium cut) can get dusty. Diamond (ultra fine) can be a pain to wipe off. Overall they perform exceptionally well, I'm just nitpicking.

I have some Menzerna.

I have 3D/HD Cut +, One, Polish +, Speed, and Poxy coming on Saturday. I have high hopes for these guys.

As far as M205, it can be your best friend, or worst enemy. If you're in a situation where it won't finish out it will be wildly frustrating. If you strike gold, and it only takes one pass, you will want to place the bottle on the nightstand for safe keeping.

Very rarely have I had it not finish out.

I also love the Ultimate line.

11. Likes Maxreed241, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smriddlert View Post
    Everyone has a different technique and different products, it makes my head spin! I've always used M105/205. What do you all use for paint correction (not including machines and pads)? Is it a waste of time to follow up with an even lighter polish/glaze after using 205? Or would I just be wasting my time? I've seen the beautful outcome one can create with 105/205, just wondering if you could do better and if it's even worth it. I'll be doing professional detailing and hope to stay busy with it daily.
    The Meg's twins are excellent and part of my cabinet of products for sure. I tend to use other products however based on the condition of the paint and what my outcome is after doing a test spot as no two products are the same.

For really bad compounding I love CarPro ClearCut on wool. Medium cut I use Ultimate Compound as it performs well has a great working time and doesn't dust much at all. Rupes UHS Is a great one-step product but I did just get some 3D One and am interested to see how it performs in various situations too. Polish wise, I do a ton of ceramic coatings thus CarPro Essence and GYEON's Primer are a main-stay in my cabinet too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to be mobile detailer. I would look into 3D HD polishes. They all seem to be sun friendly and that is a use benefit. Then I would ad Sonax Cutmax and Sonax Cut and Finish and Sonax EX04-06 or Sonax Perfect Finish. There you got user friendly polishes that delivers great results. And there is so much of great quality abrasives now that you could almost pick any brand and go with. There is a benefit to have some different brands though. Since some excells on different paints. And some polish product or 2 is standing out from some brands. The Menzerna HC400 as an one step compound on medium to hard clearcoats is one. Carpro Reflect and Sonax Perfect Finish on soft finicky paints is another. The Primer polishes if you are going to use coatings. AIO HD Speed and Blackfire One Step and Meguiars D166. And alot more great ones. Then imagine that AGO don't offer every brand either. So it's not strange our heads are spinning when going in depth with paint correction. Ohh and the BOSS abrasives from Griots Garage you have too LOL.

One tips is to buy small bottles and try them out first. If they are available in those that is. And don't give up to soon on a polish you don't get working for you. The next car or the next it can be the perfect match. That's why I recommended to get something like 3D HD polishes and the Sonax polishes. They are user friendly and works on most paints. And sure there are many others but there is where I would start. Then get some other abrasive product if you will find one that suits you better. It can be alot of different compounds and polishes if you where to get all of the different favorites people has. Go with a couple of setups that you think will suit you in the beginning. And have your 105/205 combo left to reach for if needed. You could switch out M105 to the more user friendly M100 or M101. And if you want simualar to Meguiars the 3D and Griots Garage has the non deminishing abrasive too.

15. Likes Paul A., LSNAutoDetailing, Rmd liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast