autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys headache

I have a Phantom Black Metallic 2015 Chevy SS so I picked up a Chemical Guys Black Car kit because I love the Honeydew Snow Foam and GlossWorkz and Citrus wash products. But I have to say that I’m not impressed with them or I’m doing something wrong hence the reason for this post. So I spend Friday night using Menzerna 3800 to get a few water spots and tiny scratches polished out. Used a DA polisher with a Lake County White polishing pad, came out great. Beautiful black mirror finish. So Saturday morning the next step was Black Light Hybrid that was put on by hand with foam applicator, had a little trouble buffing out but not too bad. Then Sunday night the next step was the Jet Seal, first time using this but was looking forward to it as I’ve heard great things. Applied by hand with foam applicator and buffing out was a little harder than the Black Light. Had to go back over some spots and apply little more pressure to buff out, no biggie. So tonight, Monday, it was time for the Butter wax. Epic fail… I applied by hand just on the hood and when it was time to buff out I had to push so hard I thought I was going to dent the hood. I ended up spraying some Meguiar’s Quick Wax on it to buff it off.

So now can someone please tell me what I’m doing wrong? I really like the wash products but if it’s going to be this hard to seal/wax I’ll have to find something else.

Thanks from a noob!!

Vince

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys headache

Well, first, you're using a lot of products that can be kind of hard to take off. Second, you're using a lot of products. The BWW, in my experience, is super hard to take off. I have a gallon of it that I'd trade right now for a pack of smokes. Live and learn. FWIW, I still use the Black Light glaze from time to time and I don't find it hard to take off. I will say this, I don't put anything on by hand, but I'd imagine it's hard to get a perfect thin coat on like with a DA. That may be the problem. Too much product.

3. Thanks wafwat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sudsmobile View Post
    I'd imagine it's hard to get a perfect thin coat on like with a DA. That may be the problem. Too much product.
    unrelated to OP,

I really need to revisit applying certain LSPs with a DA. I’ve done it in the past and I’ve developed sort of mixed feelings on the process.

I know that it would for sure put down a thinner, more uniform coat of LSP, but the last time I went to apply a coat of 845 that way (my second time using the product) I’d swear I wasn’t even spreading product around on my roof. Try as I might I couldn’t even see the film left behind when I used an inspection light. Water behavior told me it was definitely applied, but it was very odd not being able to see where I’d been or where I needed to go.

Do you apply them that thin? Do you keep a smaller applicator around for more intricate areas like front bumpers and under door handles? Or do you just take the pad off your polisher and hit those spots last?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I mean sometimes you can't see it at all. When in doubt, I'll take the buffer over some glass real quick just to make sure it's still loaded up with product.

I have a polisher with a 6" extension that uses 1", 2" and 3" pads for tight areas.

6. Thanks Finick thanked for this post
    Likes Finick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the exact same problem as u but with using jet seal , I had to use so much force to buff it off I thought I was going to take off the paint it was unreal. I called chemical guys the next day and the guy said maybe I put to much on as it shouldn’t be that hard to get off, not sure if bww works the same but maybe you did what I did and put to thick of a layer or maybe let it dry on there to long.

8. Thanks wafwat thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    unrelated to OP,

I really need to revisit applying certain LSPs with a DA. I’ve done it in the past and I’ve developed sort of mixed feelings on the process.

I know that it would for sure put down a thinner, more uniform coat of LSP, but the last time I went to apply a coat of 845 that way (my second time using the product) I’d swear I wasn’t even spreading product around on my roof. Try as I might I couldn’t even see the film left behind when I used an inspection light. Water behavior told me it was definitely applied, but it was very odd not being able to see where I’d been or where I needed to go.

Do you apply them that thin? Do you keep a smaller applicator around for more intricate areas like front bumpers and under door handles? Or do you just take the pad off your polisher and hit those spots last?

^^^This!!! That is why I like to apply by hand. And that is also why I may have too much product.

V

Post Thanks / Like

You want to "see" it. You're using too much product. Jet Seal is not hard to take off at all, so my guess is too much product. Because you're probably putting it on like peanut butter.

11. Thanks wafwat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to remember, only a very, very thin layer sticks to the paint. The rest of the heavy layer of product you put on just ends up on the rag.

13. Thanks wafwat thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You want to "see" it. You're using too much product. Jet Seal is not hard to take off at all, so my guess is too much product. Because you're probably putting it on like peanut butter.

I do like me some chunky peanut butter.... ha

You're prob right... Like I said first time using it so it's a learning curve.... Appreciate the info!!!

V

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, first, you're using a lot of products that can be kind of hard to take off. Second, you're using a lot of products. The BWW, in my experience, is super hard to take off. I have a gallon of it that I'd trade right now for a pack of smokes. Live and learn. FWIW, I still use the Black Light glaze from time to time and I don't find it hard to take off. I will say this, I don't put anything on by hand, but I'd imagine it's hard to get a perfect thin coat on like with a DA. That may be the problem. Too much product.
    Yeah... Crusin' the Coast is coming up and I wanted to do a in depth detail job, but more is not necessarily better....

V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast