autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

REALLY basic question - how much fluid in your wash bucket?

I'm posing this because I'm a detail oriented engineer and I'd like to get things down to a repeatable process...

I use a two-bucket method - I've got two 5 Gal buckets, both with grit guards, and I fill up the rinse bucket with probably 4 gallons of water. Then I mix up the wash bucket, and this is where it gets unclear. Ratio of wash to water is 1 Oz per Gal. But, am I trying to take a gallon of water and make a bucket of suds? Take two gallons of water and make some soapy water with suds on top? Three? Keep in mind that the top of the grit guard is probably at the 1/2 gallon fluid level.

Reason for all this overthinking is to figure out how much soap I need per wash and then I can figure out how often I need to order a new batch of wash shampoo.

Best wishes,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REALLY basic question - how much fluid in your wash bucket?

I usually wing with about 4 oz to a 5 gallon filled almost to the top with water,if it doesn't stay sudsy enough add more soap.

You can a pretty close measurement with a 6 oz Styrofoam coffee cup
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Mike Phillips

Me?

4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket

4. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the manufacturers direction. All soaps are not created equal. Example, Car Pro's Reset is 1 oz. per 4 gallons of water.

Post Thanks / Like

It's actually pretty easy to figure out... Pour in 1 Gal of water (from a 1 gal container). On the outside of the bucket with a perm marker, place a mark... do this until you get to 5. Home Depot buckets are close to about 5 1/2 gal... There is a plastic ring around the top of the bucket, about 2" from the top... This is about the 5 gal mark.

Do this for all your buckets, Wash, Rinse and Wheels... (I use a 3BM - 1 bucket dedicated for wheels).

Then you'll be able to mix the soap... I'm over generous on soap... I use Megs Hyper Wash and CarPro Reset. I typically will use about 2 oz's of HW, and 1 oz of Reset all mixed in the same bucket. But this gives me a good idea of how much I'll use over "x" amount of washes.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe skip the Grit Guard in your wash bucket? In theory, the mitt going back in should be clean. If you still want to use it, then figure out how much water it takes to make it to level with the Grit Guard, and adjust your wash ratio accordingly.

Most people don't go with exact figures. I tend to myself, but I'm a bit crazy. I do the same with cooking and my wife laughs at me.

Add your car wash at the end. Water first, THEN add the wash. Mix with a stick, brush, arm, whatever. If you want suds, blast it with the hose to get some. That shouldn't add too much water to the mix. Of course, if you want to get anal about it, you can always blast water into an empty bucket to get a rough idea as to how much water you will be adding. Then, mix your wash accordingly.

In the end, don't overthink it. An extra ounce of wash, or another 20oz of water isn't going to ruin the wash. I don't think it will.

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wash 1 car easy with 2gal of water. I pour in 1-2oz soap (depending on soap directions). Then I bring the bucket out side and spray with jet stream setting into the bucket to make the suds.

I’ve never had any issues with what seems a lack of lubriciation, and I don’t run out of soup. This works for a midsize sedan or a compact SUV. I don’t scrub hard with my MF mitt, just a light pass over each all the paint, doing a few sections at a time.

I’m surprised others fill their soap buckets so high (4-5 gal).

Post Thanks / Like

3-4 gallons of whatever I happen to be using. (Meg's HW for a full wash, or WG Uber for a rinseless)

MANY towels/mitts dunked into the solution. A soiled one never goes back into the wash medium.

My grit guards have pretty much went the way of the Dodo bird since I have been using this method.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes wing commander liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just eyeball my soap, probably on the high side, never had any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m surprised others fill their soap buckets so high (4-5 gal).
    Ahh, I’m guessing you guys use 3-5 gallons per wash due to using many mitts/MF towels. I haven’t graduated to that yet, although I have enough supplies to. I guess I just get hesitant about having to put 15 mitts or 40 towels in the washer just due to cleaning two cars on the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast