autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3rd coat of cquartz

hi, I ceramic coated my brand new car with cquartz UK 3.0, 7 days ago. I did 2 coats. I like to 3rd coat , can I do 3rd coat after a week, or is it too late? . ( reason is I am not sure if I scrubbed gently or too hard causing removal of ceramic coating)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3rd coat of cquartz

2 coats is more than enough for it. You can apply a 3rd if you wish. Have you washed it to see if the coating is fine? If not then you will find out if you need to go trough the hassle of adding another coat.

3. Likes rlmccarty2000, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    hi, I ceramic coated my brand new car with cquartz UK 3.0, 7 days ago. I did 2 coats. I like to 3rd coat , can I do 3rd coat after a week, or is it too late? . ( reason is I am not sure if I scrubbed gently or too hard causing removal of ceramic coating)
    I don't think most ceramic coatings actually layer, because once the first layer is cured, it will essentially repel anything you try to put over it, including any additional layers of the very same coating. And if it didn't cure yet, then by trying to apply a second coat you will just essentially remove the first coat - or at least make it mix with the new one, as the solvent will with no doubt soften the first coat.

I think the reason why 2 coats are recommended is, that when you're doing a "second coat" it's virtually impossible to leave out the very same spots and areas you probably missed for the first time, or damage the layer at the very same place where you probably did so by rubbing too hard. So, with "two coats" no matter what, you will get a perfect finish, even if you made some mistakes for the first time.

This is probably true even for coatings that are designed to be laid down in two separate coats made of different composition (like Gyeon MOHS + Skin or CarPro CQuartz + Gliss), and where the second coat is not actually an extra coat either that really lays on top of the first one, but just something that fills in the tiny imperfections in the first layer, making it more smooth and even.

So, when you add a new coat weeks later after you've applied the original, you most likely will only fill in the scratches that you've created in the meantime, but will not add actual thickness to it. By that time a fair amount of contaminants (that will not be removed by a simple wash) will have settled on the surface anyway, which will make it even harder for anything to bond to the surface, that otherwise would have.

Just my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand by the fact that with Cquartz there's no benefit. One solid layer properly cured is all you need. Various products differ in this aspect but I've used it for a while and one coat is good.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much, you guys convinced me not to go thru 3rd coat. i checked the work and looks amazing. i just wanted to go extra mile. entire process took 6 hours but well worth it. thanks again

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I stand by the fact that with Cquartz there's no benefit. One solid layer properly cured is all you need. Various products differ in this aspect but I've used it for a while and one coat is good.
    I've used the McKee's 37 paint coating V2. I only applied one coat and its held up really well. I can't remember how long ago I put it on but the beading is crazy. Of course, I topped mine with 10 minute paint sealant!

So I'm a firm believer that most ceramic coatings only need to be applied as one uniform coat.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 9 using Autogeekonline mobile app

9. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post