autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

First Timer - Few Polish/Compound Qs

Been reading up on detailing for the past month or so, getting as much info as I can about methods, products, and general info but since I am a first timer, I have a few questions.

Quick background: Going to be practicing on the old beater (99 neon). After a round or two of confidence building I want to work on the Pilot and maybe the F150.

Been looking at a few different combinations for polishes. Either menzerna SIP/106 combo that everyone seems to love, menzerna IP/FP, or the cheaper Optimum OC & OP. Have yellow, orange, and white pads on order, to be used with a UDM. Question with these polishes:

#1: Approximately how many cars does a 32oz bottle yield
    #2: Should I be concerned with shelf life on either Optimum or Menz polishes? (these will be used by me only, no plans on detailing for money)
    #3: From reading I gather that OC/OP will have long working times and may be more tolerant of hot weather. Does this longer working time translate into a polish/compound that is better for beginners or is it more of a pita? Alternately will menzerna products be workable in the heat/humidity or is cold more of a concern?
    #4: As a beginner, I don't want to be throwing away money just getting started (save that for later when the bug really bites), what combination would give the most cost efficient results? Figure 40ish for OC/OP, 60 for IP/FP, and 90 for SIP/106.

Thanks for any help! Looking forward to getting started.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Timer - Few Polish/Compound Qs

SIP / 106FF

1. This combo above will get you more than 12+ cars, likely double that depending on how damaged they are.

2. Keep them out of direct sunlight, I have some bottles of Optimum that are nearing two years and still easily usable.

3. Optimum does have more work time, but alot give up early and thus wipe off before broken down or polish has done its complete job. I do not preach using either in direct sunlight however.

4. With the combo above, you truly are getting what you paid for. The best of the best currently. Other choice might be the new System One polish system with only one polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, thanks for the info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    SIP / 106FF

1. This combo above will get you more than 12+ cars, likely double that depending on how damaged they are.

2. Keep them out of direct sunlight, I have some bottles of Optimum that are nearing two years and still easily usable.

3. Optimum does have more work time, but alot give up early and thus wipe off before broken down or polish has done its complete job. I do not preach using either in direct sunlight however.

4. With the combo above, you truly are getting what you paid for. The best of the best currently. Other choice might be the new System One polish system with only one polish.
    Stick with the Menz SIP/106. If you have a dark colored car or badly swirled finish I would recommend the Power Gloss Compound as well. I have Optimum and it sits on my shelf. I will occasionaly use it mixed with my Menz to keep dusting down but basically it was a waste of money for me as the Menz products work so well. You have a good selection of Pads as well which is a great move..gives you alot of combinations to play with. Good Luck!